Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tow-Side question on "Strapped" surfboard ?

Forum for kitesurfers
sw67
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tow-Side question on "Strapped" surfboard ?

Postby sw67 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 am

I dont gybe so do a lot of toe-side riding - when i am toe-side i lean towards the front of the board and have most of my weight on the front foot. My back heel is not touching the board.

I also make sure my feet are as far into the loose straps as possible before turning.

When i have just made the turn i concentrate on getting back up to speed rather than staying upwind.

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am

Billie,

when you say you can't go toe side, what exactly happens, do you lose all speed and stall, go over the front of the board or just struggle to maintain the correct course?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Just awesome that you are out there charging it man, just fantastic. Been riding for 13 years and I still cannot get as efficient on my toes. It is a wind hungry stance really. You do get better and better at it, but it will always be less efficient. Unless you can position your feet right as in the strapless situation mentioned above. Even then, it will never match the heelside.

Just accept maybe that you will lose some ground on the toes and make it up on the heel. When you have enough wind you will still go upwind on your toes, just not as much.

The good guys I watch ( the dedicated SB riders only - why I don't know) but anyhow, they generate speed first a bit down wind then fly their kites fast around the window then lean in on the rail and really swing their hips. Not sure if I'm been any help but don't get down on yourself if you are losing ground compared to heelside we all do! Just margins get less as you get better that's all.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 pm

el_guestos wrote:Billie,

when you say you can't go toe side, what exactly happens, do you lose all speed and stall, go over the front of the board or just struggle to maintain the correct course?
I Struggle to maintain course ...

I had started a thread a while back called :
Post subject: Re: How do i Point my surfboard the Other way?

I got a Lot of suggestions on how to get turned around from heel-side to toe-side ;and
now i can do that . Turns out i wasn't putting Near enough kite energy into my
jibes on the transitions. Now i Really power-up for that move.

OK-- i Can point my surfboard the other way and go toe-side now ;
this thread was asking how to do an efficient broad-reach while going toe-side.

Turns out most agree that going Toe-side is NOT as efficient as heel-side ; so
this thread should help a Bunch of people just learning to go on a surfboard.
Trying to figure out the essence of Why it's not as efficient, will help Me improve.

I got a Lot of Good suggestions that should help me, tomorrow Mohave is suppose
to blow 20-29, so it looks like i get to practice some of those different technique's.
I'll let you guys know how it goes !!!

This kinda says it all :
Westozzy wrote:... Been riding for 13 years and I still cannot get as efficient on my toes. It is a wind hungry stance really. You do get better and better at it, but it will always be less efficient.

mdmaui
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Style: freeride
Gear: Globe
Brand Affiliation: Globe

Postby mdmaui » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Cool ride. Unfortunately, you have discovered that its too wide tho! I've been thru this. You did awesome with the fins and removing rocker in the rear will make your board faster fo sure:). Take it to the next level. I think my last build is between 16" and 16.5" wide (and really straight rails to a fat ass end). Do you know a builder? Go there!

mdmaui
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Style: freeride
Gear: Globe
Brand Affiliation: Globe

Postby mdmaui » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Ps: riding fast downwind toe side and crushing a wall of wave is the best. Riding upwind toe side is painful and the only bonus is you can get out quicker if you are going to be smashed:)

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Got to say I am pretty impressed. This sport is hard enough to learn, cannot imagine doing it in prosthetic. Since you are at a disadvantage on bending and gripping with your feet, you may want to look into a sliding bar like the Dynabar to give you more advantage. I have never tried this but from what I read this makes going toe-side much easier. I have to assume this is true because when I go from my seat harness to my waist it is much easier to go toe side. Therefore if I am in the ocean I ride my waist harness. A sliding bar should increase it more. However, everything people have said is true, most people will never be as efficient toe side.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 am

I think the rotating straps would help. You would have to position them over to the toeside.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:44 am

SSK wrote:Got to say I am pretty impressed. This sport is hard enough to learn, cannot imagine doing it in prosthetic. Since you are at a disadvantage on bending and gripping with your feet, you may want to look into a sliding bar like the Dynabar to give you more advantage. I have never tried this but from what I read this makes going toe-side much easier. I have to assume this is true because when I go from my seat harness to my waist it is much easier to go toe side. Therefore if I am in the ocean I ride my waist harness. A sliding bar should increase it more. However, everything people have said is true, most people will never be as efficient toe side.
Had a look yesterday to the Mystic book 2013 presenting all the new items. They are launching an "Asymmetrical Wave Harness" designed for Regular or Goofy riders, with a slider bar. :thumb:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:18 pm

SSK wrote:Got to say I am pretty impressed. This sport is hard enough to learn, cannot imagine doing it in prosthetic. Since you are at a disadvantage on bending and gripping with your feet, you may want to look into a sliding bar like the Dynabar to give you more advantage. I have never tried this but from what I read this makes going toe-side much easier. I have to assume this is true because when I go from my seat harness to my waist it is much easier to go toe side. Therefore if I am in the ocean I ride my waist harness. A sliding bar should increase it more. However, everything people have said is true, most people will never be as efficient toe side.

Actually this is bloody good advice and one I didn't pick up on sorry man. I actually use a dynabar thingy, but only the rope part, and yeh it helps heaps to bring the kite around and to swivel ya hips. Makes a huge difference, chalk and cheese.

Also a wider board will be much harder to ride toeside if you use straps. The more you can get your front foot over that toe rail the more you can lean over and really dig the rail in. Also the more that front foot can get over, the less pressure on your back ankle. What you will find it if you cannot get that front foot over the toe rail, your back heel tends to stick in the air and you are riding on the front part of your foot at the back heel is suspended in the air, hence the pressure you can put not he toe rail at the back is diminished.

It's called toeside, cause ya toes gotta be over that rail. Just think where your heels are and the pressure you can apply when going heel side! Hopefully that explains why it will never be as efficient, but some crew I watch get bloody close.

Return to “Kitesurfing”