How to : The Backloop

Forum for kitesurfers
mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How to : The Backloop

Postby mark van haze » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:05 am

The backloop or backroll is the most common rotational kitesurfing move and is your stepping stone to a whole new world of tricks on the water. Once you master the basics you can easily add various grabs, incorporate the backloop into jump transitions and so much more.

This instructional video shows you how to do a backloop without kite assistance. This means your kite will stay at 45 degrees though out the whole move.

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to : The Backloop

Postby tr3v » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 am

I have never heard a "backroll" being called a "backloop" before. Is this a regional thing?

Riders roll, kites loop.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:27 am

tr3v wrote:I have never heard a "backroll" being called a "backloop" before. Is this a regional thing?

Riders roll, kites loop.
I agree, what that video is showing is backrolls.

What is the correct term depends on the axis of rotation. If you rotate vertically (i.e., so that you end up inverted halfway through the rotation, with your head pointing at the water and the board straight above your head), then that is a "loop". In other words, you have to be completely upside-down at one point, with no off-axis rotation, for it to really be called a loop. Most people need waves or other kickers to loop, particularly if they keep the kite parked during their loop.

A "roll" (backroll or frontroll) is when the rotation is off-axis. This is typically what happens when you keep the kite parked (at 45 degrees or whatever) and do a rotation after loading and popping. The video above shows backrolls.

A "spin" (backspin, or frontspin) is when you rotate horizontally. This is what happens if you send the kite to 12 to do a jump and then spin around underneath the kite while you're in the air.

The terms get a bit confused, because you can start the rotation in one axis and then change it, but those are the basics.

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 am

Saami wrote:
tr3v wrote:I have never heard a "backroll" being called a "backloop" before. Is this a regional thing?

Riders roll, kites loop.

What is the correct term depends on the axis of rotation. If you rotate vertically (i.e., so that you end up inverted halfway through the rotation, with your head pointing at the water and the board straight above your head), then that is a "loop". In other words, you have to be completely upside-down at one point, with no off-axis rotation, for it to really be called a loop. Most people need waves or other kickers to loop, particularly if they keep the kite parked during their loop.

A "roll" (backroll or frontroll) is when the rotation is off-axis. This is typically what happens when you keep the kite parked (at 45 degrees or whatever) and do a rotation after loading and popping. The video above shows backrolls.

A "spin" (backspin, or frontspin) is when you rotate horizontally. This is what happens if you send the kite to 12 to do a jump and then spin around underneath the kite while you're in the air.

The terms get a bit confused, because you can start the rotation in one axis and then change it, but those are the basics.
Thats correct, but since this video is aimed at the beginner to intermediate kiter and the technique is very similar, we were not nitpicking with the definition.

atkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Orewa,Shakespear park New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Orewa,shakespear park. New Zealand
Style: All above
Gear: 2010 rpm's, Influence grind 138 with boots

Postby atkite » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 am

Why not nitpick, people learning need to know the correct term of the tricks. As if they ask another kiter about tricks they can get put down the wrong path.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:20 am

Saami wrote:

Riders roll, kites loop.

Oh do bore off please!!!

Backroll/loop whatever, everyone knows what the guy is talking about. You seriously need to get out more!!!!

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:20 am

Saami wrote:

Riders roll, kites loop.

Oh do bore off please!!!

Backroll/loop whatever, everyone knows what the guy is talking about. You seriously need to get out more!!!!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:15 pm

No, not really, because a backloop is something different. Learn what shit is called before you try to teach people the wrong thing

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:00 pm

:lol: :lol: Ha ha who cares what it is called, doesn't matter one bit, just get on and learn it.

All that stuff you posted is just your opinion, doesn't mean that any of it is right

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:59 pm

And a happy Sunday to you too JGTR! :wink:

Look, I agree that it's obviously not the most important thing in the world. However, it's kind of like the words wheel vs. tire, or pistol vs. revolver vs. gun. Yes, people will kind of understand what you're talking about no matter which word you use; but if you're going to train people in auto mechanics or gun safety, you'll be doing your students a favor by using the correct terms from the start.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, it's a nicely done video. Clear and instructive.

Return to “Kitesurfing”