All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weed fins
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:32 pm 
Rare Poster

Probably a set of noob question but here goes:

I am considering purchasing a set of weed fins for my raceboard.

Is it correct, that to a first approximation a fin configuration can be characterized by the following two numbers(?, Question A).
1. The total fin area
2. The center of pressure (measured along the length axis of the board - lets forget about the depth coordinate for now).

When changing to weed fins, this means that one should choose front fins larger than the current ones and a rear fin smaller than the current one(Question B)?

I guess the correction is smaller for an offset weed fin (like the bladeweed from true ames). I know kite companies want us to believe windsurfing fins are a no go, but is a non-zero cant angle really that important (Question C)?

I seem to be getting considerable more weed on my rear fin (0 degree rake) than on the front fins (~7 degree rake). Have anyone else noticed a difference for such a small change in rake angle (Question D)?

Thanks a lot

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Weed fins
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:35 am 
Rare Poster

Bonus question. Is it correct, that adding a bigger rear fin or just going for a weed fin, will give more rear foot pressure?

[ 2 posts ]