Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Genetrix kites deserve more exposure..

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm

I am pretty immune to extreme superlatives ..like; "First to 50." There's always someone who's going to climb K2 backwards without oxygen. (maybe it was an early lack of oxygen that gave them the idea..) But this is one helluva kite.

I keep hoping some small brand not caught in the middle-market inertia trap might bring us something that is an actual innovation. I had hopes Bruno's last effort would rub off on Eric in Cabarete, but sadly his last kite, the Ovando I bought was a disaster ..for me. Most of the other small brands seem to mimic big labels and rely on Parkour marketing or attractive pricing to chip a piece off North, Cabby, etc.. I wasted too much time on foils.

This kite does not have auto-inflation or lay out the lines itself, while I am selecting which color sunblock best matches my board. It launches like any other, uses 4-lines, has a traditional bar, yatta-yatta... It does excel at going upwind and is actually fast. It does not have the bottom end of a 14 but when 15kts comes - it takes off. Some of my kites are like oxen - they seem to pull very strong, but this seems noticeably fast. We have some sections of protected water and I could get going scary fast.

This bridle is the sort of thing I like. It's the first time I have seen someone rig their kite without copying everyone else. It works great. The canopy reminds me of half an A-10 wing in the sky. I am more than pleased with how responsive it is. I can flick it all over the sky easily. Another EH kite I like, the Ripper, was interesting, but now not so much ..after two sessions on this Hydra. It does not seem to be peaky like the Ripper. I read comments on the heavy bar, but I like manly kites. I like to know, in my hands, what the winds are doing.

I well learned the lesson; not to buy unknown kites new, so this was pretty well used before I got it. Doing that shows the weak points. It appears they picked the same contractor as J-N kites. The leading edge of this 2010 is constructed of that soft nylon that looses its sizing pretty quick - meaning you have to pump it harder than normal. Heavy bar action wants a sliding stopper to give you a break. It needs kook-proof line ends ..especially since that bridle is confusing at first look. (the lines are colored properly)

...but, I feel fortunate to have one of these kites. I cannot wait for my third session.

Jim

Fragger
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Genetrix kites deserve more exposure..

Postby Fragger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Totally agree on this! Bought me a V5 blind and i must say, best buy so far. Its not the fastes turner but thats fine with me to do the onefooters. Had a session with gusts up to 50.knots and its still flyable! Ok, costs some musclepower and carving, but for a 9m. its serious an amazing kite. Im very happy with it. Its my one kite quiver now. If you get the change give it a try! It may surprise you.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Fragger.. Maybe you can tell me; I cannot get an answer from GenetrixUSA** or the G-guy here on this forum.. If you hooked your line ends (the kite ends) to a fixed point ..on the typical, modern, 4-line bar/line set - the bar would come all the way back to the stop (full power) when the lines are stretched taught. ...on the Hydra bar - the bar comes back midway. I am guessing: the rear lines are about 12cm short compared to the typical, main-brand bar. In the old days, you adjusted for front line stretch after some strong winds, but I suspect there is not that much stretch these days...

If that's the way they tune it .. then I will make some bridle extensions so I can fly it off an Epic or Ben Wilson bar with a sliding stopper.

Do you fly your 9 with the 4M extensions? I took them off. I could probably squeeze another 1/2 kt into the bottom, but I like the direct contact from short lines.

Glad to hear you enjoy the kite. Take a picture of it.. I want to see the other colors. I thought I would hate a Tan, Gray, Blue, Maroon combo ..but it looks good in the sky. I like good looking kites.

Jim

Saturday, 29 Sep.. I did hear back from Gerard Bourgeois in this morning's email. His answer was 'try it on the kite' with a nice graphic about how the kite looks over-sheeted vs. normal. But, it is easier to prep the line set before you hook the ends. Maybe one of you will hook yours up for me and take a look... Si?
Last edited by Wetstuff on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:33 am

Tried friend's 14m Hydra once, but was not impressed at that time, maybe I just did not figure something out. I felt very underpowered in comparison to 14m Evo. The kite was easily overflying and falling down. I did not like the velcro depower adjustment system.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Ralfs... I heard about the overflying before I launched mine. I gather you do not want to stand around and luff it. Maybe that is why it is better in smaller sizes - you are -automatically- in stronger winds. There is no time for luffing! I would also bet you that is why it goes upwind so well. Some other kites I have had, you needed to be at 11 o'clock to get up wind. I am able to park this about 4M off the water and plant an edge and get similar results.

I did not notice it overflying on jumps. I did not get under its center. It jumps easily. I just needed more wind to find that 'float' I am looking for. On the last jump of the day - I was on the way up when the release pop'ed open. SURPRISE! I ride with my hands near the center of the bar most of the time. I must have shoved it. SURPRISE! No wind here 'till mid-next week. (this is Saturday)

Jim

Fragger
Medium Poster

Postby Fragger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Wetstuff, DONT mess with the bridles, they are correct. At first ive noticed that too but due to the flat shape and the amazing depower its normal line lenght. When youre on the water and pull the bar full towards you, you notice the effect. plz dont mess with the lines etc.!!!!! ive flown with 20m. lines but didnt like it at all. btw i live in the Netherlands. got me a 2011 model. and yes for the floaty feel it needs a bit more wind and some timing. cheers

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Fragger.. Yours is a V5. Can you us the difference as you know it? A fellow from Sweden was also interested in the V5. Your colors provide a dramatic contrast. Nice.

I will not touch the bridles. I assume the designers have those well sorted. I simply wanted to use another bar. I may throw it up in my pasture tomorrow morning and see. The winds will be light.

Jim

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey Fragger that me (the Swedish guy Jims refering to). I´m realy close to buying a H9, V5 just like you. I´m just dredding the bar pressure. Since I´m in a dry suit and gloves 3 months/year bar pressure i a real pain. Can you compare it to something else so I can get a feeling for it. I´m 90 kg freerider and riding a Mako board so the occasional wave is my game to, when traveling that is. Going to Egypt around the 18 oktober so looking to be set with kites by then. I´m also considering wether to get the 9 or the 8 (I have a 17 m Blade Fat Lady, 13 and 9 Switch Element) so I need a highwind kite and possibly ditching the Element 9 in the process. What do you recon??

BTW. dont start messing with the bridles or you will end up in a mess. I have a long experience with foils and fiddling with them so it is a "no go" if your not realy interested in the tech part.

/Urban.

Fragger
Medium Poster

Postby Fragger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 am

Dont know if another bar fits the kite. You can mail Seb.Cattelan for it,hes the designer. @telekiter,bar pressure is high indeed. Ive ridden Epic kites and that was medium. Maybe bit like Ocean Rodeo and Naish. So i can not reccomend the kite for you, sry!

Jensb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sylten/pynten

Postby Jensb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 am

@telekiter - Will be in El Gouna/Kiteclub from 22 oct and bringing Genetrix origin2 7,9,11 - u can try out if u want

Return to “Reviews”