Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

self landing with stake

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

self landing with stake

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:01 am

when self landing by tying chicken loop to a post, is it best for the kite to be powered up or depowered?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: self landing with stake

Postby JGTR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I usually depower mine about half way (Naish Torch) but it depends on the kite. Aslong as it sits there on its wingtip without moving :thumb: I usually lower it gently and sit it there before attaching it to the post/stake/fence. With the bar all the way out the kite will be depowered anyway :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:30 pm

I find if you are too underpowered it will shoot forward and back while waiting for you on its wing tip. You'll find the right depower.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:02 pm

super powered. trim it!

middle of wind range. full power.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Westozzy wrote:I find if you are too underpowered it will shoot forward and back while waiting for you on its wing tip. You'll find the right depower.
Exactly - and if really low wind (and/or big kites), it typically wont work always if depowered, as it will drop forward on the nose (LE) too easy, so power it up here.

Or if the beach/ground is not level but pointing a lot down towards the water - then it will also fall nose down if not powered a bit or a lot.
Using a stopper might be necessary then - but always a tricky'er launch when not level.

Otherwise when windy'er, I always let it on half depower or full depower, but that is also because the bar is set this way coming in from the last session (I think everyone or most of us depower the kite fully when walking ashore and on land), so no time lost and no sand to ruin your cleat or anything (as you rinse your trim/bar in the water when you go out - thus REALLY bad to adjust the trim before that as it might ruin it fast...).

For most SLE kites it does not matter how much it is powered, but for some of the less stable ones on the ground, it will influence - but can be both ways it works best - and also dependant on wind.

The reason for trimming full depower when normal wind, is :

If a (upper) rear line catches "anything" on the ground/beach (a little bush or round some grass/straws etc) if you have your lines through "things", and a bit sloppy maybe - it will still not fly up because the rear lines are so slack.

Otherwise, just put it on "half" trim depower if in doubt, which is a good compromise between everything, and you can still steer the kite up - some kites can be difficult to steer if full depower trim :roll:

Of course it also depends on your specific setup - some has their initial trim so the kite is not more than full powered when pulled - others set it up so it can be easily backstalled...
And the bar depower "length" (how much it can move forward from the CL) is extremely different on different kites

Typically, the kite IS depowered no matter how you put your trim, as the bar is "full out" always, with a tethered launch - so it actually most often does not matter how you set your depower trim, thus set it halfway or how you left it when out the last time 8)

Sorry - I just discovered now, you were not talking about tethered starting/launching at all, but only "self landing".
Then just full depower trim always - even if it goes LE down, you have landed (and you can give it a tuck on the upper line to sit perfect so you dont have to walk out to the kite) :naughty:

:D Peter

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Keep it simple..no need for stake...just use yourself to self land anytime anywhere

Zero mi"stakes" as you perfect that crucial skill

Basic skill to master...choose the basic ways of the ANALOG MAN

Enjoy this most awesome performance and lyrics from Joe Walsh

:thumb: :thumb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il1Byvn_vMA

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:24 pm

I believe you are not used to self landing on rocky/tough coastlines with 4 to 5m2 kites that often then ? :wink:

One can learn to master all options, but especially the tethered which is the best and most safe for you and the kite in most situations, and has to be learned IMO :thumb:

8) Peter

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Westozzy wrote:I find if you are too underpowered it will shoot forward and back while waiting for you on its wing tip. You'll find the right depower.
Exactly - and if really low wind (and/or big kites), it typically wont work always if depowered, as it will drop forward on the nose (LE) too easy, so power it up here.

Or if the beach/ground is not level but pointing a lot down towards the water - then it will also fall nose down if not powered a bit or a lot.
Using a stopper might be necessary then - but always a tricky'er launch when not level.

Otherwise when windy'er, I always let it on half depower or full depower, but that is also because the bar is set this way coming in from the last session (I think everyone or most of us depower the kite fully when walking ashore and on land), so no time lost and no sand to ruin your cleat or anything (as you rinse your trim/bar in the water when you go out - thus REALLY bad to adjust the trim before that as it might ruin it fast...).

For most SLE kites it does not matter how much it is powered, but for some of the less stable ones on the ground, it will influence - but can be both ways it works best - and also dependant on wind.

The reason for trimming full depower when normal wind, is :

If a (upper) rear line catches "anything" on the ground/beach (a little bush or round some grass/straws etc) if you have your lines through "things", and a bit sloppy maybe - it will still not fly up because the rear lines are so slack.

Otherwise, just put it on "half" trim depower if in doubt, which is a good compromise between everything, and you can still steer the kite up - some kites can be difficult to steer if full depower trim :roll:

Of course it also depends on your specific setup - some has their initial trim so the kite is not more than full powered when pulled - others set it up so it can be easily backstalled...
And the bar depower "length" (how much it can move forward from the CL) is extremely different on different kites

Typically, the kite IS depowered no matter how you put your trim, as the bar is "full out" always, with a tethered launch - so it actually most often does not matter how you set your depower trim, thus set it halfway or how you left it when out the last time 8)

Sorry - I just discovered now, you were not talking about tethered starting/launching at all, but only "self landing".
Then just full depower trim always - even if it goes LE down, you have landed (and you can give it a tuck on the upper line to sit perfect so you dont have to walk out to the kite) :naughty:

:D Peter

So basically what this guy said :rollgrin:
super powered. trim it!

middle of wind range. full power.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I believe you are not used to self landing on rocky/tough coastlines with 4 to 5m2 kites that often then ? :wink:

One can learn to master all options, but especially the tethered which is the best and most safe for you and the kite in most situations, and has to be learned IMO :thumb:

8) Peter
Yes master Frank :respekt:

I have used and mastered "all options" as you said over all my years out there (just like you did)

But you are correct...here we dont have any rocks...just nice sand....and SupaEZ coastline :wink:

But with the type kite i use (Rebel) i can self land SupaEZ on wingtip and the kite wont even budge

I am in a way the stake...as i walk up the middle centerline up to the "Y" and yank on top line & 5th

Precise landings are my specialty...on a dime..with a 6M Reb in 35knots++...no sweat to LE down

Done very quickly also without unhooking and detaching myself from leash or kite

Doing landings faster than staking it is what i prefer...so to each his own :wink:

The only things i like on the rocks....are drinks....and they are on me :thumb:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:03 pm

SupaEZ wrote: I am in a way the stake...as i walk up the middle centerline up to the "Y" and yank on top line & 5th
Why don't you post a video of that sometime for us... 20kt day would be good enough.
I have a 5line kite too and would like to develop another technique to what I'm currently using.
I don't have a Y in my front lines... both my front lines connect to my swivel above the bar so maybe your technique won't work for me but I'd be interested in seeing it anyway. When ya get a chance :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”