Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North white center "strong-line" what is it?

Forum for kitesurfers
Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

North white center "strong-line" what is it?

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Building up a custom race bar for my north kites. want it fast, smooth and no extension knots

What material is the white center strong line that connects to the 2 front flying lines and the 5th?
What sort of breaking strain does this have?

Using a "safe" method for estimating what I should use it connects 3 x 800 lbs flying lines = 2400 lbs :o

That's getting into 1/8" dyneema. Which is alot thicker than stock and will likely create a lot of drag. in the air especially on longer lines.

I guess 2 x 600lb line holds the load on most 4 line kites so maybe 1200lbs would do it but then would likely be the weakest link in the chain

Anyone in the know that can comment? I would feel much more comfotable knowing I'm using stock or higher load rating

Thanks in advance

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: North white center "strong-line" what is it?

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:37 am

I don't think that line ever takes the load of the 5th line does it? The fifth line goes the full length from the chicken loop to the kite.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:13 am

davesails7 wrote:I don't think that line ever takes the load of the 5th line does it? The fifth line goes the full length from the chicken loop to the kite.
When the 5th is "loaded" the stopper is against a knot in the middle line which transfers all load to the "strong" middle line. To see for yourself, pull your depower all the way, the 5th above the Y is tight while below the Y it's slack indicating that the tension in the upper 5th line is being carried by the middle line....

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:34 am

Oh I see. Haven't flown the loaded 5th, but I see what you're saying now.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm

5th line carries minimal load, the 2 front lines do the main work the 5th line just supports the canopy and any load transferred to the single front line by the 5th acting on the Y is limited.

If you don't believe me then next time you fly the kite pull the 5th line, it's very easy to do and will very easily deform the LE of the kite.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:Building up a custom race bar for my north kites. want it fast, smooth and no extension knots

What material is the white center strong line that connects to the 2 front flying lines and the 5th?
What sort of breaking strain does this have?

Using a "safe" method for estimating what I should use it connects 3 x 800 lbs flying lines = 2400 lbs :o

That's getting into 1/8" dyneema. Which is alot thicker than stock and will likely create a lot of drag. in the air especially on longer lines.

I guess 2 x 600lb line holds the load on most 4 line kites so maybe 1200lbs would do it but then would likely be the weakest link in the chain

Anyone in the know that can comment? I would feel much more comfotable knowing I'm using stock or higher load rating

Thanks in advance

I shorten my white line with a figure eight knot and have had no problems.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Billy B. wrote:I shorten my white line with a figure eight knot and have had no problems.
Do you mean you tied 8 knots in the middle of the line to shorten it, or did you tie 8 knots in the ends to change the connection points?

On my 2011 bar there is a loop at the bottom of the white line that attaches to the depower pulley and a loop at the top as well.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 pm

it's woven from ken winners white short hairs which is why the new bar is so expensive.

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192

7/64th's works

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Billy B. wrote:I shorten my white line with a figure eight knot and have had no problems.
Do you mean you tied 8 knots in the middle of the line to shorten it, or did you tie 8 knots in the ends to change the connection points?

On my 2011 bar there is a loop at the bottom of the white line that attaches to the depower pulley and a loop at the top as well.

I made a loop using a figure of eight knot at the Pully end, my single pulley is replaced by a double, the single then gets attached to the cleat and allows me to build the block system i am currently using. But I shortened the "white Line" about six inches (15cm) to allow more depower,

BB

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Billy B. wrote:I made a loop using a figure of eight knot at the Pully end, my single pulley is replaced by a double, the single then gets attached to the cleat and allows me to build the block system i am currently using. But I shortened the "white Line" about six inches (15cm) to allow more depower,

BB
So you made an 8 knot in the white line above the existing loop and then doubled the line back on itself by attaching the loop to the 8 knot?

Or did you just put the pully inside of the 8 knot? It doesn't seem like that would hold

Return to “Kitesurfing”