Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has anyone been busted for hiding boards behind golf clubs?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Has anyone been busted for hiding boards behind golf clu

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Kupono wrote:In Hawaii I use one of the inter-island air freight carriers. They're a lot cheaper than the airlines. Has anyone used airfreight from America to the islands?
They charge $45 Interisland if they think there is a surfboard...and you can try to convince them :-) Hawaiian charges $35 unless they claim like they did to me that I have a "set" which meant windsurfing and they wanted $100...interisland.

I have asked to ship and they usually want quite a bit more I think it was definitely on par with what other airlines charge for a board...

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Has thanked: 0

Postby SSK » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 am

Just flew to Oahu with kite gear in golf bag with clubs. Southwest guy opened the bag, saw the board and charged me the $50.
Maybe I am missing something here, but I think with Southwest you do not even have to pretend they are clubs. They specifically allow kiteboards the way I read it
Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Archery equipment, including a bow, arrows, and an average size target (large target stands cannot be accepted), so long as the bow and arrows are encased in a container acceptable to Carrier for withstanding normal Baggage handling without sustaining damage to the equipment.

Baseball/Softball equipment, Effective March 1, 2012: including one bag generally consisting of four bats, one helmet, one pair of cleats, one uniform, one glove, and one pair of batting gloves. The catcher may have additional equipment.

Boogie or knee board.

Bowling bag, including ball(s) and shoes.

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat), including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, properly packed in a hard-sided bicycle box that fall within the dimensions and weight limits established for normal Checked Baggage, (i.e., 62 inches or less in overall dimensions and less than 50 pounds in weight). Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft-sided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items.

Fishing tackle box and fishing rod, so long as the rod is encased in a cylindrical fishing rod container suitable to Carrier for withstanding normal Checked Baggage handling without sustaining damage to the rod.

Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be conditionally accepted.

Hockey and/or lacrosse stick(s) as long as multiple sticks are either taped together or encased in a suitable bag or container. Effective March 1, 2012: two hockey sticks taped together and one hockey equipment bag generally consisting of hockey pads, helmets, pants, jersey, gloves, and skates.

Kiteboard
I was amazed they knew what a kiteboard was.

nckiter26
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nckiter26 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:38 am

I'm a frequent flyer (50k - 80k miles/yr) so they may be nicer to me because of my status but I've flown probably 15 times with a golf bag with no issues. As long as you are under weight and look like you could conceively golf, no problems. However, I do bring a putter and wedge just for the hell of it.

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:55 am

Just to Clarify, the Southwest guy "did not like the size of the bag." He opened it, looked behind the clubs at the board, asked what it was and brought in his supervisor. She made the call to charge the $50. Don't know if they violated their own policy, just know it happened and sucked.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:28 pm

The only people that are allowed to open your bag is security. Ticket agents are not allowed to open your bag.

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 pm

I have never been charged for a board, but I've only traveled with a surf board once. I usually fly Southwest, Delta, AA and sometimes United. I keep my bags under weight and if I have one that is over I tell them right away. Usually they don't even ask what is in them but if they do I say "beach stuff."
Never say the word board.

mowaves
Rare Poster

Postby mowaves » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I've traveled southwest with two boards, underweight in a wakeboard bag with no charge, no hassel and also had their rules printed out in my bag if there was a problem.

When it comes to other airlines I have my golf bag, which really is a golf bag. It originally had a piece of plywood to give the back support, I took that out and have a black sleeve of fleece I cover my stripped board with. There's no way a check in person would ever know or have any grounds to charge me extra, it's literally the support part of the bag. I bring three clubs which are very visible when the tops opened and stuff two vacuum sealed kites behind/below them.

BTW, I can't believe people buy the bags that have any kite brand name on it even if it says golf after it, i.e. naish golf, cabrinha golf, the people in Maui and other kite destinations you would fly to know what that is so why even give them a clue?...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:30 pm

waynepjh wrote:The only people that are allowed to open your bag is security. Ticket agents are not allowed to open your bag.
Is this true?
That is awesome if it is true. Do you have any link to more about this?

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 am

In Alaska Airlines i just took the board in a box, (the box that came when i bought the twin tip)
a 138cm box and put my phone number and info and just payed $20 for it to go checked in. and my harness around my kite stucked my bar in too, and took it up with me so i didnt pay a cent for the kite.
Also the board just make it like an extra check bag.
Gotta be smart buddy

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:19 am

A friend on mine works for delta and he told me that they are not allowed to open your luggage. But they could possibly call a security agent over.
tautologies wrote:
waynepjh wrote:The only people that are allowed to open your bag is security. Ticket agents are not allowed to open your bag.
Is this true?
That is awesome if it is true. Do you have any link to more about this?

Return to “Kitesurfing”