kitewindunite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Top Windsurfers said to take up Kiteboarding for Rio 201

Postby kitewindunite » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:30 am

Wow,

Sailing is not a dog-eat-dog sport. Nor is kiting. You do something wrong during a race, you retire. You don't wait for someone to protest you. It was a test event with no ranking points in the balance, just to try things out? All the more reason to do the honourable thing and retire.

230+ racers with 3 kites each, and we should expect every racer to pick up on the fact that the guy next to him is racing on a kite he hasn't registered? That's going to be a real nasty atmosphere on that beach.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:23 am

is this about choosing 3 kites eg 9 11,13 but using a 15m.. - something like that?

I see no more Formula kite racing in over average (whatever that means..? - anyone know?) 25 knots and choice of 3 kites only from next year (after worlds).

This for sure will result in the creation of other kiteboard racing classes not so designed around olympic requirements, I think after seeing all the politics play out, kite racing designed for olympics - not for riders in many parts of the world (very windy ones) tensions it has unnecessarily created between many people there will be a group of core riders interested in more slalom higher wind style, faster course riding in the famous spots for kiting around the world where it for sure it will average above 25 knots, I am one of these. No problem waiting for wind at these locations, no problem waiting for under 25 knots to race too.

Stuff like the Rottnest to mainland race, just all time, only problem getting a balloted entry spot!

Formula kiteboard racing really seems to be emulating RSX more and more, I guess for olympics which will be good for keeping RSX racers in a job I guess.

Meetings in Nov are going to be very interesting. I don't care what happens either way, I will still be stoked on all disciplines of kiting regardless, just as long as kiteboarding is represented responsibly/honestly in it's marketing of itself and keeps it real, which I personally don't think it has with regards to IKA's olympic campaign in parts.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:13 am

Having a sailing background is definitely an advantage. Getting the right lines (I don;t know the terminology) is critical. Also making the right decisions on when to tack, and creating race strategies is as important as technique IMO.

I think we we see people pick it up fast compared to people who has kites, I am not that surprised. Kiting is easy. Racing well is hard. So just having kitecontrol is just a tiny step. If you already possess skill in the other departments I think certain advantages are eaten up other others in a way.

Either way, most kiters that race does it because they want to have some fun with other kiters. We're trying to set up a fun race a month. None of us know anything about racing, but it is super fun still...

a.

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:31 am

results from france.
oli bridge 8th,
tom squires, 21st.

oli is riding real good, considering the top 4 riders were adam koch, ricardo,,, bryan lake, and julien k

kitewindunite
Medium Poster

Postby kitewindunite » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:15 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:is this about choosing 3 kites eg 9 11,13 but using a 15m.. - something like that?
Yup, from earlier posts, that's what it looks like...

I mean, this registration thing is a mess to begin with, but if there are rules at an event, and you break them, you're DSQ'd, simple as that. And if you break those rules knowingly and expect not to get caught, this says a bunch about your character.

Not the kind of image you want to portray to the ISAF, is it?

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Dorian van Rijsselberghe training in Squamish, nice documentary on Dutch TV.
You can still laugh now, but once he starts nailing his gybes and tacks he'll be with the top dogs.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 pm

I agree the top RSX guys are real top athletes and even paid to train/ stay in a job.Fit as anyone. Will be interesting to see if an optimum weight rider results even with boxrule, as rsx riders tend to be just 65-70kg riders.

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil

Postby Al-Kite-A » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 pm

El Rudo wrote:Dorian van Rijsselberghe training in Squamish, nice documentary on Dutch TV.
You can still laugh now, but once he starts nailing his gybes and tacks he'll be with the top dogs.
After watching that I know why he did not go "straight to California" as said after the games :)

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm

RRS section 1 rule 2 and the preamble to the rules listed under basic principles both discuss sportsmanship. I personaly wouldn't protest over an unregistered kite but I'm an equipment anarchist. You should protest over port starboard infractions when there was no way the other guy could have thought he was passing clear ahead. It does no one any good to not protest it. If you lest some one go they will keep doing it and bad things will happen.

Return to “Kitesurfing”