2017 Liquid Force Overdrive 148x45
2015 Shinn King Gee 150x50
2015 Slingshot Dialer 5' 10"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Directional Foot Strap Position ?

Postby bazzamac » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm still very much a beginner on my TT but for one reason and another as an ex-windsurfer I decided to treat myself to a directional kite board as i think the learning experience will be more rewarding and challenging !! And i aspire to riding waves one day. So i have a Naish Custom Fish 6', perfect for UK South coast chop and small waves as i'm 96kg (210lb) and 178cm (5'10"). Err.. and i like to think of myself as stocky and not fat ! But i'm confused as to the best position for the foot straps to start off with?

Yes i know i should ride strapless and it's all about personal preference, but what would be a good position to start off with, i.e. front strap all the way forward and back strap all the way at the back ? or front strap and back strap all the way forward ? or just some where in between ?

Would really appreciate some guidance from those with experience. And thanks.

dorothyinstead
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caloundra, Happy Valley.
Favorite Beaches: Bulcock Beach @ Happy Valley in Caloundra
Style: Freestyle

Re: First Directional Foot Strap Position ?

Postby dorothyinstead » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Why not try the sliding foot strap? Works well and allows freedom of movement.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 am

bazzamac wrote:I'm still very much a beginner on my TT but for one reason and another as an ex-windsurfer I decided to treat myself to a directional kite board as i think the learning experience will be more rewarding and challenging !! And i aspire to riding waves one day. So i have a Naish Custom Fish 6', perfect for UK South coast chop and small waves as i'm 96kg (210lb) and 178cm (5'10"). Err.. and i like to think of myself as stocky and not fat ! But i'm confused as to the best position for the foot straps to start off with?

Yes i know i should ride strapless and it's all about personal preference, but what would be a good position to start off with, i.e. front strap all the way forward and back strap all the way at the back ? or front strap and back strap all the way forward ? or just some where in between ?

Would really appreciate some guidance from those with experience. And thanks.
I would start with the front of my backstrap aligned with the front of the front most fins. Idea is to have your back foot above those fins. Now different people will have different preferences, but as a starting point./..then find a good stance which is comfortable and put in the front strap. Some boards are more sensitive to the front foot especially when making your bottom turn, but I think the board, if you put the strap in the center should be pretty good..as a starting point. Things to pay attention to. If you put your back foot too far back some boards will spring out of the water. I can;t really remember but I do not think that is an issue with that board.

Have fun with it :-)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 am

For a directional beginner then straps as far forward as you can get them.

Once you get the hang of things then move them back to suit your taste and riding style.

The basic mistake of all directional newbies is to have their weight too far back. You can see the board slogging along with the nose up in the air and the nose flopping up and down.

The correct stance is to load your front foot and keep the board flatter and trim with the back foot. Be very aggressive with the front foot loading to start with.

Two other things:
1. You must be rock solid on your toe side. Able to ride upwind and cruise without feeling the need to switch because it's too hard.

2. You must be able to switch stance easily from toe-side to heel side. The reason for this is you need to be comfortable on the board and able to ride it no matter what is happening under your feet. Of course, you need to switch feet to gybe and you need to gybe if you are way underpowered or if you want to jam back upwind to hit that perfect peak again and again and again.

Switching feet is also good to rest your legs, or to push back upwind from the shore break if you've been greedy and taken a wave just that bit too far to the inside.

There is nothing nicer than playing around in light wind with a small kite and doing a perfect carve onto a small, glassy wave, with a perfectly timed foot switch.

In powered up conditions you will probably stay on your preferred stance all the time and never switch feet. That's perfectly fine, but if you want to really get the most out of your directional you must be able to switch feet when you want to.

bazzamac
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2020 Slingshot Rally GT 12m
2017 Slingshot Turbine 17m
2017 Slingshot Turbine 19m
2016 Slingshot Rally 8m, 10m & 14m
2020 Crazyfly Raptor LTD 143x43
2019 Liquid Force Libre 160x60
2019 Slingshot Alien Air 4'8"
2020 Slingshot F Kite Foil
2017 Brokite 138x43 Custom Carbon Hybrid
2017 Liquid Force Overdrive 148x45
2015 Shinn King Gee 150x50
2015 Slingshot Dialer 5' 10"

Postby bazzamac » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks dudes, i appreciate the feed back.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Great !

It will be awesome for you to go on a directional now, before you get the "bad" TT habits, that only makes the transition worse 8)

The sooner the better, and I know you'll enjoy the feel because of being a windsurfer and loving the "drive" a directional has :thumb:

And as an ex windsurfer you should be able to go both ways really good, and not have a really weak side (you will love this when riding waves later)

Above posters advices are good.

Just - please DO change stance really often (switch feet / jibe), as you are used to jibing, and this is a must in waves and will give you endless options - besides being awesome to learn and do :naughty:
Dont go into the classic mistake - riding mostly on the preferred stance (meaning toeside most of the time) :o
But no need to tell you, if you were an okay windsurfer.

Forward strap positions are the best, for starters.

Later, you will most likely move the rear strap aft, and only use it when riding steep waves or jumping - otherwise, going upwind or in light wind, you stand in front of the rear strap.

But to start out, just use a relatively forward rear strap position, as you are quite new - and learn to ride toeside as said - but jibe as often as possible too.

Have fun :rollgrin:

:D Peter

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 am

Put soft wax on your board and ride it strapless. Once you find your best stance on the board
bend down and mark the wax.

Hey you may end up placing the straps on a shelf in your garage.... best place for them really :wink: :thumb:

I just love riding strapless :wink: My straps are all in a box in the garage!.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 am

FredBGG wrote:Put soft wax on your board and ride it strapless. Once you find your best stance on the board
bend down and mark the wax.

Hey you may end up placing the straps on a shelf in your garage.... best place for them really :wink: :thumb:

I just love riding strapless :wink: My straps are all in a box in the garage!.

+1

Everyone know the best footstrap placement is in the bag they came in :thumb:

Riding strapless is so easy and a great way to discover your boards true potental.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am

Dont you listen to all those "nay" sayers - and ride how you "like" to ride !

If you aim for strapless, dont start with the straps at all.

If you aim for using the boards full potential to the max, keep the straps.

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”