Forum for kitesurfers
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tips for Jumping

Postby 1968 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 am

Hey,
Im trying to master my first jumps and would like to know what tips made the difference for you?
I do get up in the air but not ver high, not very long and not very controlled.
Do you look at the kite when jumping?

Thanks,
K.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Tips for Jumping

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 am

There are really two primary styles of jumping, you can use board "pop" or you can send the kite. Board pop jumps are smaller and more controllable while jumping by sending the kite can give you massive air but in a somewhat less predictable manner.

Board pop:
This is what you are going to do if you want to do aerial tricks. You basically edge with the board to build up a lot of force between the board and the water and then pop the board out, resulting in a jump. It is sort of hard to visualize how it works, but I guess it is sort of like making a ramp out of flat water. What you want to do is build up a lot of speed with the kite at about 9 o'clock (left foot forward) or 3 o'clock (right foot forward). One you are going good and fast, you start edging the board upwind and leaning back to maintain your edge, then pop the board out of the water at the right time and you'll jump up. These tend to be jumps of a very predictable size and with consistent pull from the kite, you will never go all that big, but with practice you'll have a really good idea of where and when you'll land. This is the type of jump favored by wakestyle riders.

If you want to go big, you need to send the kite (I'll assume you are jumping from left foot forward). Again, you want to build up a lot of speed, and again you want to start edging upwind, but you will also rapidly steer the kite overhead to about 1 o'clock right as you are releasing the board. This allows the kite to combine the lift of the kite with the board pop. Now, as you've probably noticed by now, the kite doesn't pull very hard when it is overhead, so you need to steer it back to 9 o'clock during your jump or you are going to just crash down into the water. The key with sending the kite is timing: you need to hold onto your edge until the kite is already well on its way up, then release the edge all at once.

There are lots of videos of jumping, I'd definitely recommend watch a few to get an idea of the timing and the body mechanics, it might be much easier to learn from watching than from reading.
1968 wrote: Im trying to master my first jumps and would like to know what tips made the difference for you?
The most important tips I can think of are:
-you need a good amount of speed to jump high
-you need good edging technique and good posture (leaned back instead of hunched over)
-if you send the kite you must steer it back down to where it started or it will lose power and you'll plummet under it.
1968 wrote: Do you look at the kite when jumping?
It is far more important to spot your take-off point when you initiate your jump. Jumping requires building up a lot tension in the lines by progressively edging upwind and then releasing that energy at once, if you aren't in full control of your board, this is effectively impossible. You need to be going pretty fast but still be in control. If you are riding in chop, this gets harder and you'll have to either look for a flat section or use a kicker. Either way, you'll need to be maintaining your edge until you jump. Once I'm in the air, if it is a big jump, I'll keep an eye on the kite to make sure I don't over-steer it, but it is also really important to spot you landing. You should be able to have a pretty good idea of where the kite is based on how the bar is pulling. I think I tend to glance between the kite and the water when I am in the air.

Good luck!

JSIN138
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 3rd

Postby JSIN138 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 am

This may be helpful:

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:35 am

Most has been covered in the post above. We might be able to give you more tips if you tell us the kites, board and riding conditions you are trying to jump with; however a few tips for someone trying to jump.

If you are not already doing so then keep your hands closer to the centre of the bar and get used to flying/feeling the kite with fine, but direct movements.

Don't try to literally 'jump' off the water by using your legs - you will feel a good jump in your core as you have to maintain tension in your lines and when you redirect it should literally yank you off the water. Leatn how this feels and then try to time releasing your edge at the same time.

When you do come off the water bring your knees up to your chest as this will help stabilise you and prevent rotating - especailly if you catch an edge on take off.

Also with speed and agression - as you get better then yes board speed and agression with sending and re-directing the kite is imperative. However, this has to be controlled and is a strange way you have to be alomost relaxed about it so until that happens then slowly build up and get a feel for how everything has to come together - board speed, edging, line tension, where the kite is etc.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am

All that and... practice, practice, practice! The more you do, the more feel you get for the kite and what your body is doing and the better you can control the jumps.

My advice is - learn how to Load'n'pop properly before trying sent jumps...

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 am

One tip I'd like to add. Dont look down. Stay relaxed and just go for the ride. I still find that if I look down from a 25+ foot jump my balance gets thrown off and my body does not want to commit to the floating ride. I found the same to be true when I learned to jump even 8 feet.
I usually suggest when learning to jump that the rider ride as normal with the kite at 45 degrees then bring it up to 12 quickly while the bar is at least half way sheated out. Once at 12 pull the bar for the power and keep the kite at 12 and lift your legs up. This will help with your balance at first. For your first jumps, I would land while the kite is still at 12 (softest landings) and quickly put the kite back to 45 degrees as you touch the water.
Try to only feel your kite. Looking at it may throw your balance.
Once you want to jump higher the balance changes again. Like another poster said, lean back to keep balance but landing is tricky at first. What I have discovered is that if I depower about halfway on the way down and power up full as I land from big air, the landings are butter smooth.
Make sure theres nobody downwind of you at least 1 kite length.

Medium Poster

Postby 1968 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks for all the usefull tips. Sometimes it needs a few tips of people to find what you were missing. I manage to the pop fairly ok. So the right order to jump with the kite would be,
- edge hard
- bring the kite from 10 to 12/1
- sheet in and pop
Would that be correct?

Thanks,
K.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am

1968 wrote:Thanks for all the usefull tips. Sometimes it needs a few tips of people to find what you were missing. I manage to the pop fairly ok. So the right order to jump with the kite would be,
- edge hard
- sheet in and pop
Would that be correct?

Thanks,
K.
More or less, but it should feel like one fuild unbroken sequence and if you try to do it stepwise then you will not hit it optimally. Also when you are up remember to sheet out again so the kite can fill with air/fly as this gets you higher and it lets you sheet in for silky landings - a lot of people choke the kite and do the whole jump with the bar fully sheeted in.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:11 pm

1968 wrote:Thanks for all the usefull tips. Sometimes it needs a few tips of people to find what you were missing. I manage to the pop fairly ok. So the right order to jump with the kite would be,
- edge hard
- sheet in and pop
Would that be correct?

Thanks,
K.
Edge enough - the harder you edge, the more UP your jump will be... the less you edge, the more OUT. Edge too much and you can kill all the pop and ruin the jump.
Pop then sheet.

There are really good threads here about jumping technique - I remember reading an instructors commentary on what he teaches and it being really useful... I'll see if I can find it.

But you can't beat just going out and doing it!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Not exactly the one I wanted but close

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374153

Return to “Kitesurfing”