Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How the kiting at Fort Lauderdale ?

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

How the kiting at Fort Lauderdale ?

Postby nicor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Wife would like to take a vacation with the kids at th beginning of March.

How's the kiting there?

Also any kite restrictions on the beaches?

Thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: How the kiting at Fort Lauderdale ?

Postby RickI » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 am

There are lots of restrictions in Ft. Lauderdale. The primary launch is small and requires the ability to ride upwind to be able to stay out of the lifeguarded areas immediately to the north and south of the launch corridor. You need to head over 100 yards out before heading north or south. When you come in, you need to ride in through the access corridor.

The above figure was prepared when there still was a kiting concession here. Unfortunately, they were forced out by a change in City policy. So, there is no trailer these days and the corridor buoys are closer together. There may or may not be traffic cones on the beach marking the small rigging area.

Given that kiting started here in the late 1990's and the density of residents and tourists there have been some long standing access issues at many launches in SE Florida. There are other riding areas in Lauderdale By-The-Sea and Pompano Beach but there are restrictions in the riding areas there as well.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for the info. We have issues at our local spots so I understand how important it is to follow the rules and play nice with all the folks!

Can you tell me exactly where this launch site is? Or other acceptable launch sites?

My wife wants to stay at the pelican grand or atlantic. I'd like to be able to kite close by the family if possible.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

That Ft. Lauderdale launch (the old Tiki Beach), is at the boat launching ramp at 600 Seabreeze Blvd.. That is about a mile or so from the Atlantic and close to two miles from the Pelican. There intervening beach is all lifeguarded. You are not allowed to ride within 100 yards of shore in guarded areas. Bahia Mar is "closer" to this launch but not as new as the other two hotels. You used to be able to kite off the unguarded beaches north of the Pelican but the narrow, congested beach and poor kiter behavior in that area shut down access as far as I know. You may need to take kiting breaks away from the family they way things are laid out unfortunately.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm

If you want to drive (only 10-20 minutes) I'd go north to Pompano Beach, there is a nice launch at 16th street with fewer restrictions

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 am

if you want better wind and fewer rules than broward, i would go a little bit more north to lake worth or delray area, pretty much have to stay away from public beaches anywhere here...which ft lauderdale is not kite friendly...plus palm beach is less congested!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:17 am

Good suggestion. The Seagate Hotel in Delray is brand new and well appointed. Their beach club is immediately north of Delray's kitebeach. http://www.theseagatehotel.com/about/ Delray has better waves than Ft. Lauderdale, as far as wind it is about the same perhaps a bit stronger in Ft. Lauderdale. Lake Worth may be a bit stronger than both. There is a Four Seasons hotel in Lake Worth where folks were kiting last time I looked. It may still be allowed. Checkout the swells on the website, http://www.fourseasons.com/palmbeach/ In both Delray and Lake Worth you need to stay at least 100 yards away from lifeguarded beaches with a kite up, same as in Ft. Lauderdale and quite a few other areas.

Kiters, repeatedly, shut the door on kiting themselves in Ft. Lauderdale and over many years. Not all kiters but some locals and visiting riders, just enough to create a lot of problems and long term access issues. This is something for other emerging areas to avoid. Protect your access, kite responsibly, avoid complaints.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 pm

RickI wrote:Good suggestion. The Seagate Hotel in Delray is brand new and well appointed. Their beach club is immediately north of Delray's kitebeach. http://www.theseagatehotel.com/about/ Delray has better waves than Ft. Lauderdale, as far as wind it is about the same perhaps a bit stronger in Ft. Lauderdale. Lake Worth may be a bit stronger than both. There is a Four Seasons hotel in Lake Worth where folks were kiting last time I looked. It may still be allowed. Checkout the swells on the website, http://www.fourseasons.com/palmbeach/ In both Delray and Lake Worth you need to stay at least 100 yards away from lifeguarded beaches with a kite up, same as in Ft. Lauderdale and quite a few other areas.

Kiters, repeatedly, shut the door on kiting themselves in Ft. Lauderdale and over many years. Not all kiters but some locals and visiting riders, just enough to create a lot of problems and long term access issues. This is something for other emerging areas to avoid. Protect your access, kite responsibly, avoid complaints.

This is great news. The Seagate in Delray was actually our first choice, but we kinda went off it because we can't get a direct flight, but now that I know its right beside a launch zone its back to the top of the list. Looking for flights today. Thanks guys.

If anybody else has any input on Delray please let me know.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Not sure where you are coming from but FLL and PBI have lots of direct flights within the USA probably more into FLL. Delray is within 45 min. drive of each. Regarding the Seagate, the main hotel is about a mile north on Atlantic Avenue from the Beach Club at Casurina Road which is beside kite beach. There is parking in the area and a trolley on weekends.

Here is an aerial of the Beach Club (with the pool and blue umbrellas). You can see kites on kite beach just to the south. We have to stay over 100 yards from shore at points north of the kites while riding. You can come closer south of that point but just don't annoy the few beach patrons along that private section of beach.

There is a lot of info about Delray kiting online. Just do a google search for "fksa.org Delray."

Have a good trip!

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Duly noted and thanks for the help.

Makes planning a trip so much easier when you know where to go and what the rules are.

fyi - from Montreal.

Return to “Kitesurfing”