Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

self landing with stake

Forum for kitesurfers
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: self landing with stake

Postby bnthere » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:26 pm

an 'object assisted' self land is not a cool trick. it is stupid and unneccessary. land your kite like a man by disabling it onto the leash line. (or dropping it onto its LE with tension on the high inside line, while being prepared to disable it onto the leash when you screw that up.)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 am

You guys are lucky (and spoiled) with good beaches where you can take/put the kite down like that :naughty:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote:You guys are lucky (and spoiled) with good beaches where you can take/put the kite down like that :naughty:

:D Peter
come on admit it PF, Denmark is one big pile (flat pile) of sand. I think the last time a rock or stone was seen in Demark they declared three days of emergency and a huge rock throwing ceremony where women in short skirts were moaning loudly. Thats what I heard.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 am

bnthere wrote:an 'object assisted' self land is not a cool trick. it is stupid and unneccessary. land your kite like a man by disabling it onto the leash line. (or dropping it onto its LE with tension on the high inside line, while being prepared to disable it onto the leash when you screw that up.)
So the safest method to solo land is not a cool trick?

I concur with Peter. You obviously don't have tight launching and landing spots.

I'll use the following depending on circumstance.
drag launch
reverse launch
teathered launch,
teather land,
walk up the front lines land
yank the front lines with the kite 6f high and reel in the top front line.
reverse land.
pull the safety

By far the safest and least wearing on the kite is the teathered launch.

but i guess if your too mucho for the teathered launch then yourl have to with stand wearing out your kite fast and the occasion botched launch/land and assosated kite damage or injury to yourself... but then i guess thats dawinism isn't it? the stupid remove themselves from the gene pool.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm

ya, i can do all that too. i stand by my original statement regarding landing (which is what this topic is about). launching is a different story: you got to get creative sometimes and pulling off good launches in difficult situations is cool.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Frankie wrote:SupaEZ....

So when you walk up the strong line do you have to take care to keep very even tension on the line so the kite doesn't get pulled towards you?
I would say that i have a very good and even grip on it
I match the amount of pull remaining in the kite as i go up towards the "Y"
I have never had the kite slide or pull towards me
It simply stays there luffing on its wingtip
The Rebel in NOT your normal average 5th line out there....it is unique...self landing is its specialty

................................. :surf: :sun: .................................................................................................

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 pm

bnthere wrote:an 'object assisted' self land is not a cool trick. it is stupid and unneccessary. land your kite like a man by disabling it onto the leash line. (or dropping it onto its LE with tension on the high inside line, while being prepared to disable it onto the leash when you screw that up.)
Right to the point MR."been there done that"

I believe also it is more realistic to depend on a stake to launch...but landing no

Hey i am an sandbag man to launch (i bring an empty one to beach)
I launch on a dime with zero wear on my kite...no sliding around..just pops right up every time

Those who depend on stakes here are some questions
What if the wind shifts drastically direction and you can no longer find a safe spot for kite to land it
What if you end up downwind or away from stake and must land at once
What if the beach becomes crowded with kites on it and "your" exact spot is taken to land

Too much precision and time is required to detach yourself and attach all to the stake

............................ :surf: :sun: ........................................................................

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Right to the point MR."been there done that"

I believe also it is more realistic to depend on a stake to launch...but landing no

Hey i am an sandbag man to launch (i bring an empty one to beach)
I launch on a dime with zero wear on my kite...no sliding around..just pops right up every time

Those who depend on stakes here are some questions
What if the wind shifts drastically direction and you can no longer find a safe spot for kite to land it
What if you end up downwind or away from stake and must land at once
What if the beach becomes crowded with kites on it and "your" exact spot is taken to land

Too much precision and time is required to detach yourself and attach all to the stake

............................ :surf: :sun: ........................................................................
You put the sandbag on a bent over wing tip and let it roll off?

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 am

If you're faced with difficult access and unassisted landings, all I can say is try a 5 line kite!

I spend almost all of my time by myself, and with Rebels on 5 lines - which happen to be great flying kites - all the stress is removed. All this talk about using stakes is completely weird to me.

My most recent "stressful" landing was in 25-30 knots, onshore, deeply shelving, narrow beach during a Muslim festival with circa 1000 friendly and happy rum swelling gents and their families taking up every inch of space on the beach (ironically in Mauritius, the different religions co-exist happily and the Muslims drink, actually a really good model for world peace!)

Simple...stop, lay kite down in water, release and quickly wind lines before kite drifts to the beach. Swim the last 10m in with kite and board, smile to the happy people and return to the bar. 5th line, job done, again!

Also....drift launching is a cinch as well.....as is stake launching, which is also great depending on location. But stake landing? No thanks....

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am

+5 what Jono said. No stress landing rebels.

Return to “Kitesurfing”