Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

No fuels today?

Postby Konza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Just wondering. Every time I see a SS rider he's riding a RPM. Tried one a few days ago and it was nowhere near a c-kite feeling. Some years ago literally every SS rider I saw was on fuels (me too)... So what's up with the new models? Aren't they any good anymore?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: No fuels today?

Postby edt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Newer riders want a kite they can grow into, they can start on an RPM barely going upwind and eventually get into wakestyle with it. So the RPM is way more popular for less experienced riders or weekend warriors.

The fuel is still one of the most popular C kites, it's just that C kites don't have much demand anymore.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Very true edt :thumb:

Fuels are awesome C kites, it is just that most who are not into hardcore full C kite style has chosen other kites (for slingshot often the RPM) that they can use for a wider "range".

Meaning - it can be used for freeride and touring, it can be used for waves, and it can be used for "freeride" freestyle, and beginners can also use that type easily.

So the RPM (and other SLE kites) covers a huge area, thus preferred by many today.
And some kites, like the North Vegas, is "almost" a C kite, but with a bit wider range - so also liked by freestylers.

Whereas for full-on freestyle the pure C kites are usually the best - but a much smaller minority today, as many can also use kites like the Naish Park for okay freestyle, eventhough not a C kite - but then it has a much broader usage instead :naughty:

So you are right - there are not as many pure C kites today as just one or two years ago - but not because they are not good, just because it is a smaller minority who want these nowadays 8)

:D Peter

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm

i´m 1 of those week-warriors that like to try stupid stuff. The average joe, really.

Got my first C-kite - 2011 13m Airush Razor - just a couple of weeks ago

Given all the hype about how Cs are just for those super-young-talented-hard-core-riders i was actually a bit nervous of putting the beast up in the air

To my surprise i find it easy to fly than the C with bridles i was using, hard to put it in words but there is a level of connection that really helps as if the timing doesn't need to be as right in whatever lame stuff i´m throwing

and it depowers more than enough - i don´t fly in gusty winds, but neither in super-duper smooth conditions

for the moment think that all the usual hype around Cs is a bit misleading

alex85
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 15 2018
North Vegas 13 2016
Dutonce Dice SLS 12 2023
North Vegas 10 2016
Duotone Dice SLS 10 2022
Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41

Postby alex85 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:i´m 1 of those week-warriors that like to try stupid stuff. The average joe, really.

Got my first C-kite - 2011 13m Airush Razor - just a couple of weeks ago

Given all the hype about how Cs are just for those super-young-talented-hard-core-riders i was actually a bit nervous of putting the beast up in the air

To my surprise i find it easy to fly than the C with bridles i was using, hard to put it in words but there is a level of connection that really helps as if the timing doesn't need to be as right in whatever lame stuff i´m throwing

and it depowers more than enough - i don´t fly in gusty winds, but neither in super-duper smooth conditions

Try a 7m... :lol:

In 2010 I have started with a set of 2010 Fuels ( every sizes from 7 to 13 )
In 2011 I have thought:"ok, in my place the more is windy the more is gusty" so 13/11 Fuels 9/6 RPMs
In 2012 I have thought:"I'd like to have the most similar feeling for every size I ride" so 12/9/7 Rpm ( and a kite less in my quiver )

And yes, the feeling is really really different...maybe is similar when you unhook cause the kite flies forward in the wind window edging with the board ( more than others Hybrid and so more like Fuels )...but that is just what I have read, not what I can feeling... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:Got my first C-kite - 2011 13m Airush Razor - just a couple of weeks ago

I found the same thing. I hadn't ridden C-kites since my 2005's that I learned on. Tried out some friends 2011 Airush Razors and Naish Torches and I was amazed how easy they were. Wind range seems much improved as well.

I don't unhook much, but hooked in kiteloops were amazing! Nice smooth, constant pull through the loop instead of the sudden tug I get on my SLE kites.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 am

Guess it's because fuel prices have increased so much.... i barely drive my car anymore...just to expensive :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”