Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which raceboard should i buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Which raceboard should i buy?

Postby Tone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:11 pm

davesails7 wrote:Is the NJS CF6 about the same price as all the other boards?

It seems like the main difference in the newer boards was that the backs of the boards come to a point when you are looking at it from above (see RRD, North, Aguera, Mikes Lab...). I had heard this was to stop the nose of the board from bouncing up and down when you are going downwind.

The pictures you show of the NJS CF6 have the back of the board like most of last years boards, where the transom is straight. Do you notice any difference in ride quality downwind compared to other boards?
I think the curved back also helps with gybing and tacking. Makes the board carve better.

drewkite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby drewkite » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Tone wrote:
davesails7 wrote:Is the NJS CF6 about the same price as all the other boards?

It seems like the main difference in the newer boards was that the backs of the boards come to a point when you are looking at it from above (see RRD, North, Aguera, Mikes Lab...). I had heard this was to stop the nose of the board from bouncing up and down when you are going downwind.

The pictures you show of the NJS CF6 have the back of the board like most of last years boards, where the transom is straight. Do you notice any difference in ride quality downwind compared to other boards?
I think the curved back also helps with gybing and tacking. Makes the board carve better.
Cool, but my question is if its worth the extra money to buy a mikes lab instead of a K race the difference is about $1200 dollars the RRDid 1200 with ristas and mike is like 2600 both with ristas the RRD is cheap because itsmy mates board he used itonly 3 times still in box

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 am

buy the rrd and learn to sail it, order the mikes lab at the same time and by the time the mike is ready you will actually be able to sail it and appreciate the difference, sell the rrd, problem solved?

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 am

james wrote:buy the rrd and learn to sail it, order the mikes lab at the same time and by the time the mike is ready you will actually be able to sail it and appreciate the difference, sell the rrd, problem solved?
Cool i would problably do this but do you think i should wait if Mike does another race board you know when he does some changes different size etc. do you think that would be soon should i wait for the next race board from mike or orther the lab 70?

kitewindunite
Medium Poster

Postby kitewindunite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:26 am

drewkite wrote:...do you think i should wait if Mike does another race board you know when he does some changes different size etc. do you think that would be soon should i wait for the next race board from mike or orther the lab 70?
If you wait constantly for the latest and greatest, there's a chance you'll find yourself waiting forever :) That's the painful thing about the box rule, ain't it? Better gear constantly rolling off the press. Nice, but hard on the wallet if you're super competitive...

James' advice is a good one. There'll be demand for the RRD when you're ready to sell it, and if by then your 2013 ML is outdated (!), sell that one too (at full price since you won't have used it) and order something else. It's like taking James' advice TWICE! :thumb:

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Postby pndLA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am

Is the NJS CF6 about the same price as all the other boards?

The NJS Board we have is produced in CNC at Cobra - as far as i know the retail price is around 1399.-€ with straps / without fins

concerning downwind - we have compared it to the 2012 North, RRD, Cabrinha and some older raceboards and we think it is faster and easier to control downwind...

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabrinha-178-Ra ... 3987459%26

BRAND NEW 2011 Cabrinha Raceboard 178cm X 53.5cm

Board Includes Straps & Fins & Traction Pad.

$399, plus shipping

No mention of Cabrinha boards here and bargain basement pricing sends up a red flag.

$399 wasted dollars?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabrinha-178-Ra ... 3987459%26

$399, plus shipping

No mention of Cabrinha boards here and bargain basement pricing sends up a red flag.

$399 wasted dollars?
For $50 dollars more definitely go for the 183x59 (also on ebay right now)! I've been riding the 183 for a year and really like it. Haven't ridden a 178, but I'd say the 183 is the way to go.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabrinha-178-Ra ... 3987459%26

$399, plus shipping

$399 wasted dollars?
Guys what do you think??? Great deal no? im problably will give it a try and wait for the 2013 mikes lab and get my jibes and tacks cracking really good then when i upgrade to ML but you cant beat $399 nnot even buy a decent pair of fins what do you think guys i will problbly do it.! BEFORE THERE GONE!!!

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Postby pndLA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am

Post subject: Re: Which raceboard should i buy? Reply with quote
SalmonSlayer wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabrinha-178-Ra ... 3987459%26
it´s the old model... 4-fin and only 53 wide
the fins are powerbox - so cant use them for any other board...

Return to “Kitesurfing”