Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips for Jumping

Postby flybykite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Edge enough- the harder you edge, the more UP your jump will be... the less you edge, the more OUT.
I thought Up vs. Out (long jump) is all dependant of where the kite is at edge release.
If I use hard edge or sloppy edge and send the kite to 12 then release, I always go straight up not out. If its sent to 11 and release then I swing downwind more and land with speed. Kite slightly past 12 and release and I can almost land where I took off from.
Edge enough- the harder you edge, the more UP your jump will be... the less you edge, the more OUT.[/quote]
I thought Up vs. Out (long jump) is all dependant of where the kite is at edge release.
If I use hard edge or sloppy edge and send the kite to 12 then release, I always go straight up not out. If its sent to 11 and release then I swing downwind more and land with speed. Kite slightly past 12 and release and I can almost land where I took off from.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Hey,
Im trying to master my first jumps and would like to know what tips made the difference for you?
I do get up in the air but not ver high, not very long and not very controlled.
Do you look at the kite when jumping?
Thanks,
K.
Hello 1968,
I see that you have been giving a lot of good advices on how to jump but again these are the proper steps you need to take if you want to be able to jump high. But also you need the proper equipment and the proper board depending the conditions.
First of all the best conditions to learn how to jump will be 17 to 25 knots maximum, but make sure you are using the correct size kite. Usually in this kind of condition a normal kiter will use a 10 meter kite. Me personally in this kind of conditions I will be using a 12 meter kite.
Also your board needs to be at least 41cm wide maximum. If you go wider then 41cm you will have a hard time to edge and pop. The length is not that important but at least 135cm will be good. Advance riders will be able to pop and jump on a 44cm board but it will be way easier if your board is maximum 41cm wide so you can have better control in edging for better pop.
So now these are few of the steps you need to do so you can start jumping:

STEP 1. Don't go too fast, speed is your worst enemy. You need to have power on the kite and ride with control speed so you can edge deep and with power at the last minute. Once you are ready to jump an you are regular stances which means left foot forward, bring your kite at 10 o'clock. Now the next step will be very fast and almost at the same time.
STEP 2. Now that you are ready and your kite is at 10, pull hard on your back hand but at the same time cut up wind and push off your legs. All this has to be 1,2,3 almost at the same time.

STEP 3. This is when you start screaming because you never been that high in your life. But again that depends what kite you are using. From that point look at your kite and start pulling on your left arm to redirect your kite back towards your left for a proper landing.

STEP 4. Make sure when you land, to land down wind and immediately edge upwind to slow down your speed.

This is how I am able to jump that high in most of the EPIC videos.
This is the latest EPIC ATTACK 4 video.
Any way I hope these steps helps you in learning how to jump high. Good luck and be careful.

:thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:30 am

flybykite wrote:
Edge enough- the harder you edge, the more UP your jump will be... the less you edge, the more OUT.
Might just be my impression of it then...
Hard edging - I usually go straight up and can land almost where I took off. That's to the point that the board almost stops, though.
Just right edging, I go downwind some too.
When I get bounced off my edge, I go gliding downwind with the kite...

3:58, 4:50 and especially 5:07 & 6:01 in the Epic Attack 4 video, you can see the body movements and board actions... all smooth and fluid.

Flat water helps too :lol:

@Mr. D
Me jumping my 170x50 board :D but I'm heavier than you! :(

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm a newbie too. Only been trying jumps last 15-20 sessions, and started getting higher in last 5 sessions or so ... finally mastered the pop and getting some loftier hang time.

Here's how I progressed:

-- so far I only feel comfortable jumping with my left foot forward (dominant foot for surfing, snowboarding...will soon work on other direction too)

-- I started with little bunny hop jumps off waves without moving the kite, just to get a feel for landing with speed

-- then, going pretty fast across the wind, I'd raise the kite to 11 (with left foot forward), until I felt that slight lifting feeling, hit a small wave and get a little jump. But again, without moving kite and landing with speed on the same track I took off from (directly across the wind).

-- then, moving fairly fast (a little slower but still powered up, riding along a neutral track, not speeding up or slowing down), move kite to 11, and when you feel the lifting feeling, do a quick turn upwind. As your body lifts, slightly pull with your right hand to move the kite to 12 (direct overhead). Now you should be going straight up and slightly more downwind, rather than directly across the wind as above. As you start to drop, slightly pull with your left hand to bring the kite down to 10 and you'll land somewhat across the wind and with enough speed that you don't splash or stop dead in the water.

-- then you can begin to accelerate more into the pop and also bring the kite from 11 to 1 to get more loft. That's about as far as I've got.

First few times, you'll get the "holy crap I'm flying" loss of kite awareness and may get yarded in any direction. Know how to body drag upwind to get your board after you lose it ... and you will lose it. DON'T use a board leash!

You may also initially have the problem of the kite being directly overhead too long, so that you land in the water with it overhead or possibly even upwind of you (if you pendulum under it) and then you get that scary moment of it hindenburging out of the sky .... hopefully it will catch some wind on the way down and relaunch properly, but it might invert or do something crazy as it falls. Be ready to punch out and self-rescue. So don't be practicing this 2km offshore!

You might find it helpful to watch the kite at first, to see where it is and what it's doing. Later on, you'll know where the kite is by feel and you can watch the water to look for your landing. Even on the big jumps where you feel out of control, as you descend if you can just remember to steer the kite towards where you want to go, you can recover ... and the neat thing is, you have some time to think about it as you float down.

There's some excellent videos out there. Search "Progression", that's the best I've seen.

Have fun and happy safe sailing, enjoy the view from way up there!

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:20 am

Board.....Bear off wind momentarily, then cut back sharply, dig in hard, then release, in time with kite above you.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 pm

One thing I do not understand.

If forward speed is so much important for jumping, how do people jump from the beach to the sea for show-off beach start?

Is it a totally different technique with a kiteloop?

Thanks for the most experienced kiters to share the trick here.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Youtch wrote:One thing I do not understand.

If forward speed is so much important for jumping, how do people jump from the beach to the sea for show-off beach start?

Is it a totally different technique with a kiteloop?

Thanks for the most experienced kiters to share the trick here.
It's just sending the kite across the window, resisting to load up then 'jumping' for the start. Practice on the beach without your board...

More speed gets you more height with the pendulum effect but there's a limit to how much speed is useful...

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ned Divine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Dimitri M wrote:
STEP 1. Don't go too fast, speed is your worst enemy. You need to have power on the kite and ride with control speed so you can edge deep and with power at the last minute. Once you are ready to jump an you are regular stances which means left foot forward, bring your kite at 10 o'clock. Now the next step will be very fast and almost at the same time.
STEP 2. Now that you are ready and your kite is at 10, pull hard on your back hand but at the same time cut up wind and push off your legs. All this has to be 1,2,3 almost at the same time.

STEP 3. This is when you start screaming because you never been that high in your life. But again that depends what kite you are using. From that point look at your kite and start pulling on your left arm to redirect your kite back towards your left for a proper landing.

STEP 4. Make sure when you land, to land down wind and immediately edge upwind to slow down your speed.

This is how I am able to jump that high in most of the EPIC videos.
This is the latest EPIC ATTACK 4 video.
Any way I hope these steps helps you in learning how to jump high. Good luck and be careful.

:thumb:
Just to say "thanks D!" , these steps are ever so clear and made a world of difference in my heights! Even the screaming happened exactly as described!!
PS Is it not very hard to maintain the edge and control when you ride a 12 instead of a 10 in 20 knots+? I have great difficulties to keep my edge and stance when I am overpowered....

Return to “Kitesurfing”