Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Crazyfly Razor Fins? Better than G10...Really?

Forum for kitesurfers
alden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, NC
Cape Cod
Style: water, snow, land
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crazyfly Razor Fins? Better than G10...Really?

Postby alden » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm

I've seen the Crazyfly Razor fin and the boasting is faster through the water and sticks better in powered carving turns because the softer material is able to flex off a bit. The upper fin portion does indeed seem twice as thin as regular G10 fin. But the lower portion where the fin attaches to the board is fatter and not as nice shape as G10 fin. And the transition between the two sections does not look very hydrodynamic. How would one verify that the fin is faster? Has anyone tried the Crazyfly Razor fin back-to-back with standard G10 fin of the same size in the same session?

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Re: Crazyfly Razor Fins? Better than G10...Really?

Postby jumarcil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm

They are useless piece of trash if you want my honest opinion. I read the bullsh!t propaganda from the manufacturer about how great this was and how high quality this new DuPont polymer was. I told myself: hey a company like crazyfly cannot put some trashy fins on their TT. Yes they can and yes they did...

My first encounter with a small rock that would have left a small dent on a G10 regular fin totally smashed my fin.

We had a summer where the water level was very low so plenty of chances to hit some rocks. After a couple of ride; I had to replace them all because they were all trashed...

25$ for every single fin. They charge 25$ for a small piece of rubbery cheap plastic. I finally spent the summer riding my Crazyfly board with Cabrinha G10 fins.

So I havent tried them back to back but after switching to regular G10 I haven't notice any drastic change in the boards behaviour.

I had the Cruiser Pro + the Raptop Pro LTD.

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED
Been thanked: 0

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 am

I think it is good to see them trying different profiles on the fins and new materials.
with a sub 2" fin speed difference will not be measurable from profile change in my view.
Regarding G10 it is not a design of fin it is a material, so you can have rubbish fins made from G10.
The louder they shout G10 the more I'd think oh no.
Also if you can shatter a fin on a rock, I'd say you saved a big cost of time off the water with a broken ankle bone. It is good to break gear some times.
But if your boards is real flexy then the fin could be steel as the shock would transfer and be absorbed buy board flex. For sure something needs to flex to relive the shock of an impact.
Better still if it's only 2" deep get off and walk ;)

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 am

Anabatic_co_nz wrote:I think it is good to see them trying different profiles on the fins and new materials.
with a sub 2" fin speed difference will not be measurable from profile change in my view.
Regarding G10 it is not a design of fin it is a material, so you can have rubbish fins made from G10.
The louder they shout G10 the more I'd think oh no.
Also if you can shatter a fin on a rock, I'd say you saved a big cost of time off the water with a broken ankle bone. It is good to break gear some times.
But if your boards is real flexy then the fin could be steel as the shock would transfer and be absorbed buy board flex. For sure something needs to flex to relive the shock of an impact.
Better still if it's only 2" deep get off and walk ;)
The problem is that it didnt take a major schock to destroy a fin. I know what is G10 ( glass epoxy composite). The problem with the new Composite from DuPont is that it scratches really easily, dents also easily and rips easily. It might be good for people riding in very nice resort but where I kite we have a lot of shells, rocks, etc... so those new fins wont last very long. And once a fin is really dented you can feel it; the ride isn't as smooth.

Their wakestyle board still uses G10; no wonder, one hit on the sliders and the fins would be dead.

:o

Return to “Kitesurfing”