peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Self landing in heavy strong wind

Postby peterheirman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Landing your own kite in low to mid range winds is feasible: many vids and documentation.
But on those days of low and mid range winds there are plenty of people on the beach to help.

The real problem is self landing in heavy strong gusty winds.
For example you started out with 20-22 knots on a 9m kite (cold winter day) and the wind picks up to 30-32 knots. The other kiters started with a 7m so they keep on going and don't care about you.

With a 9m kite in 30-32 knots those self landing techniques become very dangerous and impossible.
Just try to remove your chicken loop from your harness hook at 30knots with a 9m kite: you won't be able to keep it in your hand. Or if you use two hands then it is likely the kite to start moving sideways in gusty winds and will fly through the wind window with even more power.

So how do you land when you are overpowered ?

In the past I used to land the kite in the water when I was in knee to hip deep water, undo the chicken loop and move towards the kite as fast as possible. And pray.

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Re: Self landing in heavy strong wind

Postby Jono 111 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm not trying to be facetious, but the North 5th line always makes it a doddle.

If anything goes wrong, you release to the 5th and the kite is dead, no power, no risks. They happen to be great kites too...I've been caught out with a big kite (14) on a number pf occassions when the front moves in and the wind ramps from 16 kt to 30-35 kt....the reach back in is never easy, but knowing that as soon as you get in, you can eject to full safety immediately is massively helpful.

I almost always kite alone, to me, having this security counts for a LOT.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 pm

peterheirman wrote:Landing your own kite in low to mid range winds is feasible: many vids and documentation.
But on those days of low and mid range winds there are plenty of people on the beach to help.

The real problem is self landing in heavy strong gusty winds.
For example you started out with 20-22 knots on a 9m kite (cold winter day) and the wind picks up to 30-32 knots. The other kiters started with a 7m so they keep on going and don't care about you.

With a 9m kite in 30-32 knots those self landing techniques become very dangerous and impossible.
Just try to remove your chicken loop from your harness hook at 30knots with a 9m kite: you won't be able to keep it in your hand. Or if you use two hands then it is likely the kite to start moving sideways in gusty winds and will fly through the wind window with even more power.

So how do you land when you are overpowered ?

In the past I used to land the kite in the water when I was in knee to hip deep water, undo the chicken loop and move towards the kite as fast as possible. And pray.
With any somewhat modern kite....You should release to the safety line (flag line) and self rescue, by first wrapping the flag line around the back of the bar (figure 8 like) and then wrapping the rest of the lines with the whats left of the flag line on the bar as you normally would. Once you get to the kite grab it and tie off your lines with a 1/4 hitch. Alternatively you could walk up the flag line to the kite but if things go wrong, you could be in big trouble considering you could get tangled in the line with a kite that is out of control.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 pm

If you have a 4 line kite use a "stake" ... start reading this link and go from there... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377613

Now if you had a 5line kite you probably wouldn't be asking this question :)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Jono 111 wrote:I'm not trying to be facetious, but the North 5th line always makes it a doddle.

If anything goes wrong, you release to the 5th and the kite is dead, no power, no risks. They happen to be great kites too...I've been caught out with a big kite (14) on a number pf occassions when the front moves in and the wind ramps from 16 kt to 30-35 kt....the reach back in is never easy, but knowing that as soon as you get in, you can eject to full safety immediately is massively helpful.

I almost always kite alone, to me, having this security counts for a LOT.
+5 TH.....on what you said

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Lots of talk about self landings. Another case for having an OSR on 4 line kites. I know I know; 5th line. Thats great if you like the kites that come with 5th lines.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm

step 1 hit your quick release

step 2 walk up the flag out line to the kite

step 3 grab the kite

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 am

this is getting tedious. i second every statement about disabling the kite and pulling it in / walking up to it. it can be difficult in super high winds with a big canopy, if i feel like i might not be able to hold a single flying line if the kite flips into the air then i wrap the bar as i approach the kite, same as during a deep water "self rescue" bar warp.

i would again state that any single inside line works best (5th line included but not necessary) single outside line works but not as well on some shaped kites as others, especially in high winds, and the double centerline systems i don't trust but i guess thats arguable.

this is what the leash system is there for.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:50 am

If you think that self landing on the beach is going to be a problem then ride well out to sea and self-land into the water and release to the leash.

Don't try and come to the beach in the middle of a squall. That's just creating a more dangerous situation.

For normal strong conditions, you self land in super strong winds the same way you land in any other winds ... you just have to be a bit more careful and ready to bail if things get a bit hairy.

This means that the usual thing of handling the centre/front lines needs to be done with a lot more care.

The most likely difficulty is the kite can levitate. Very strong winds and sand dunes/cliffs contribute to this.

It can happen with every kind of safety system. Some safety systems will have the flagged out kite spinning as well.

The usual way of dealing with that is to :
- keep your body, bar and leash low on the ground to reduce the air getting under the kite.
- wait it out. The kite usually rolls over and flops onto the ground.
- work your way to a single front line and tweak it to roll the kite over and land it.

When all else fails, having made sure the downwind zone is safe and clear, release the kite. Do it with the kite on the water so it drags along rather than flies in a big arc through the air.

The other potential big problem is getting yourself or your gear tangled in the lines. That's what your hook knife is for. When a tangle occurs and there is a chance the kite will power up, cut the lines.

Stakes are fine if you can get to them and manage them in the conditions. Just imagine yourself trying to ride back to your exact starting point, getting to your stake, hooking in and self landing, all while a 50 knot gust us lifting you off your feet.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 am

worth mentioning you can add a 5th line to almost any kite out there.
Not always a slick, trimmable one, but certainly an effective, leashable kill-switch type.
Often a good idea to do so in fact, if you are testing a new bridle,bridle mod, or repair.

Return to “Kitesurfing”