big_d
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Bronco 6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hand vs Electric pump

Postby big_d » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 pm

what do you use? this topic has probably been discussed a bunch of times, but im new :)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Re: Hand vs Electric pump

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 am

Non-Electric..i like it peaceful and quiet at the beach ....toaster yes...blender yes....pump no

Another annoyance is that if you don't want it stolen so you have to "go back" to your car to put it away

It would save me zero time...my lines are always on on all our 7 kites...shared with my sidekick wife!

A little maintenance is important ......to keep a manual pump running smooth..ready for each sessions

Personally i always keep in the car a "ready to go back up pump" ...in case...or just to lend to a friend

................................................... :surf: :sun: ............................................................................

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 am

I use both manual and electric pumps. Having the elctric is nice, but you'd be crazy not to have a hand pump available as well.

I have had a (Scoprega) Bravo BST12 (with 12v lead battery) for 5 years...works great!.
It is a bit heavy, you do need to maintain the battery, it is not necessarily faster, but it is easy to get spoiled not pumping up big kites by hand.

IMO there is nothing physically beneficial to pumping up a kite with a manual plunger pump - in fact I think it's one of the least ergonomic things going. For anyone with back problems the electric pump is very nice. It's not about saving time, it's about avoiding an unnecessary pain in the arse, and unless you think it's "macho" to pump up a kite you should consider it.

It would also be great for girls or light riders who have a hard time getting 7-8 psi into a small kite. It make a huge difference to have good inflation. You can just set the dial to the desired pressure and hit the switch and it shuts off when it reaches the desired psi....nice!

The newer Bravo pump, BTP model, looks great, has a Nimh battery (lighter, longer life, easier charging/maintainance than the 12v lead battery) and this new unit is a bit smaller than the original BST12.

A friend just got one of the BTP's and he is LOVING it. He's a big dude (265 lbs) and he uses big kites a lot so he will get a lot of use out of it.

I am trying to decide between a new BTP or retrofiting my BST with the Nimh battery system.

I still always have a hand pump in case the battery is dead - in fact I've been hand inflating for the last 6 months because the lead battery is shot and I've been waiting to see if the Nimh battery can be adapted. The supplier has recently put together a retrofit system with connectors and smart charger now so I am considering that option more seriously.

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 am

thanks for the responses I appreciate it,
at the moment i couldnt afford the bravo pump, so it would be a 40 dollar department store one,

the only thing im concerned with is if it is going to have enough pressure to fill it, I do see why it would not, but i've read that some times it doesnt, eventually im sure i will have both a manual and electric, but i only want to buy one at the moment

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 am

big_d wrote:thanks for the responses I appreciate it,
at the moment i couldnt afford the bravo pump, so it would be a 40 dollar department store one,

the only thing im concerned with is if it is going to have enough pressure to fill it, I do see why it would not, but i've read that some times it doesnt, eventually im sure i will have both a manual and electric, but i only want to buy one at the moment
Yep, the Bravos are a bit expensive. The pump you showed above will only get your kite semi-inflated, maybe 2 psi, and then you'll have to hand pump the rest of the way. I am sure there are others using something similar to the one shown, but you need a piston pump to get the higher psi. Dpending on the kite size you will still need to pump 25-60 additional strokes (up and down) with a hand pump.

There are other threads about this topic if you search. The various pumps, air tanks, compressors have been discussed a fair amount. Some people seem OK with a compressor rigged in their vehicles, or lugging around compressed air tanks (e.g. scuba type), and some satisfied with 2 psi from a smaller blower like you show, but I like the Bravo the best. Some people have had problems with malfunctions but I have had one for 5 years and it's still going strong (except for the battery, which only lasts about 2-3 years). I keep mine out of the sand and elements as much as possible, and clean the interior parts occasionally - no big deal.

If I can get 6 years of service out of the original parts I'll be very satisfied. I've probably inflated at least 1000 kites with it already. which translates to about 30 cents/inflation. And the replacement parts are readily available. There are 5 or 6 components that can be replaced in less than 30 minutes requiring nothing more than a screwdriver.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 am

Full blown air compressor with 20gal tank. It takes more time to put the kite away than to rig it up.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:23 am

big_d wrote:what do you use? this topic has probably been discussed a bunch of times, but im new :)
Welcome to KF.
I'm using my BST12 since 5 years. Once I had to change the battery but that's it regarding maintenance or additional cost.
Most of those who tell you to use a hand pump live in colder climates. If you need to pump up your kite in 35°C, you are fu**ed before you even go onto the water.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm

thanks guys! I tried out the electric it sucked was also missing the charger, so i returned it and picked this one up, and it fills it faster then the electric, works like a charm, perfect!

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:26 pm

big_d wrote:thanks guys! I tried out the electric it sucked was also missing the charger, so i returned it and picked this one up, and it fills it faster then the electric, works like a charm, perfect!
That's fine, but just be aware that the air inlet near the base is likely to inhale sand very easily, which will kill the pump pretty fast. The rubber seals and the lubrucant will get gummed up and eventually wear more quickly, and it will be more difficult to pump becasue of the friction.

Most kite pumps have the intake opening at the top of the pump handle. you still need to keep sand out of that type. I've had hand pumps last several years with proper care, but then I see others leaving their pumps on the beach getting buried by sand and then they are like "WTF???" when the thing only lasts a few months.

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:00 pm

good to know thanks!

cant wait to fly this kite lol, i tangled the shit out of my lines like a rookie almost done untangling them!,

Return to “Snow / Land”