All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Colorado snow (A basin area)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 pm 
Rare Poster

I just starting kitesurfing, but I have family members and a snowboard in Colorado. I was wondering, in the area just west of the divide on the highway that connects Loveland ski area with A basin ski area is a good area. I remember driving last year and seeing a fairly large area to the south of the hwy and one lonely set of tracks in it. Any thoughts/ opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, Rick

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Colorado snow (A basin area)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 am 
Rare Poster

Yes & No...
there is kiteable terrain up there. The stuff that is kited the most is the WNW aspect just SE of Loveland ski area(sometimes you can see people kiting up there from the base of loveland ski area)

the very desirable looking terrain to the west of loveland pass is NE facing and very rarely gets good wind for kiting.

If you are new to all this: I would just go to lake dillon... Loveland pass is mediocre spot for kiting (IMHO)

- Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 am 
Medium Poster

Super sketchy up there and storm related mostly. If you are new to kiting, a great place to get maimed or killed. Dillion Reservoir for sure, get lessons from the local guy there. Anton from Kite Force or something. Good guy. Only good on North wind, a thermal. Never ever kite on stormy west winds that come over the mountains...it needs to be steady thermal north wind blowing down the lake, not stormy. Anton is the man with local knowledge, pay for his local expertise. Theres another good guy out of Boulder as well that knows Loveland Pass for kiting. You need local guidance for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the input. I've already contacted Anton about dillon reservoir. Hopefully I can make it out there for the end of the season this year.

[ 4 posts ]