robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hand vs Electric pump

Postby robertovillate » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:44 am

big_d wrote:good to know thanks!

cant wait to fly this kite lol, i tangled the shit out of my lines like a rookie almost done untangling them!,
I hope you've had some instruction flying the big kite (?)...a kite can get you into a bit more trouble than any pump will. Plenty of thrreads on the forum about this subject too.

big_d
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Bronco 6m

Postby big_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:27 am

i've had a little instruction when i bought the kite but no specific one on one lessons, however I been googling and youtubing alot of information, just going to be land flying for now in an open field with my cousin,

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 am

big_d wrote:i've had a little instruction when i bought the kite but no specific one on one lessons, however I been googling and youtubing alot of information, just going to be land flying for now in an open field with my cousin,
while I don't want to go into a long lecture on this I feel obligated to say that what you propose may sound innoucous, but it can actually be very risky. Even dry grass can be very slick when a kite is pulling you upward and sideways....It's better to learn kite control with a trainer kite first, preferably in an open area, preferably soft sand, with clean wind, no downwind hazards for you or kite, and then graduate to a small inflatable on soft sand with supervision and then in the water with supervision BEFORE you try to fly a large inflatable yourself...you might save yourself a lot of pain and damage to gear and you ego if you get someone to teach you properly.

...just sayin'

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

yeah man I know what you mean, i've looked into them, and the instructors and all want around 300 bucks for lessons, I dont have 300 right now to give someone for lessons, and I dont know anyone now who knows how, anyways no big deal like Travis Rice Said

Now you're gonna take beatings, it's written in our DNA, you know. you're gonna go down.... you get up, it's that simple

you will never know your full potential until you push yourself to find it

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:13 pm

big_d wrote:yeah man I know what you mean, i've looked into them, and the instructors and all want around 300 bucks for lessons, I dont have 300 right now to give someone for lessons, and I dont know anyone now who knows how, anyways no big deal like Travis Rice Said

Now you're gonna take beatings, it's written in our DNA, you know. you're gonna go down.... you get up, it's that simple

you will never know your full potential until you push yourself to find it
I had the exact same mentality as you when I first started. I watched every single youtube video related to kiting + every write up about kiting safely and such while I was saving my $$$$'s for a kite. I didn't take lessons and survived , but had some really close calls that could have been avoided If I had taken 1 lesson. Assuming you get going safely, a year or so down the line when your kite inverts itself for example and your kiting alone since you now feel like a pro and you don't know what to do you're gonna wish you spent that $300. Nothing can compare to lessons from an experienced riders. Its a one time investment that can help get you safely through 10's of years of kiting

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm

oh, yeah i plan to get some instruction before I step into the water thats for sure, but for now just going to get it up in the air on land and its a 6 m kite so its not a giant kite,

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:47 am

If you are going to put up a 6m kite without lessons first, know that a 6 meter kite can absolutely kick your ass (more specifically, it can kill you). Make sure you know your safety system really well, and don't hesitate to use it. Test your quick release to make sure it works when you have your full body weight on it (some of the newer quick releases aren't great, some of the older ones don't work at all): just tie a rope to a tree limb and tie off to your chicken loop line, put all or most of your weight on the chicken loop and hit the quick release. I can't stress that quick release thing enough. It is nearly impossible to unhook from your harness if you lose control of your kite, several people have died because of this.

Make sure you have lots of space downwind of you that is free of any obstacles and more importantly, people.

I'd avoid self-launches when you are starting out as they can get tricky.

Oh, and as for the original question, don't get an electric pump. Very few people use them (I've never even seen one). Some people like them, but there are much better ways to spend your money if you are tight on funds.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:12 am

tmcfarla wrote:....a 6 meter kite can absolutely kick your ass (more specifically, it can kill you).

Oh, and as for the original question, don't get an electric pump. Very few people use them (I've never even seen one). Some people like them, but there are much better ways to spend your money if you are tight on funds.
Thanks for covering this "only a 6m kite" thing.
true - a 6m kite, even with 15-20 knots can develop a lot of power, and if you're flying itin the wrong place..well....

As for the electric pump,
true - very few people have one
very true - $300 much better spent on lessons if you haven't had any - (at the beginning of the thread I thought this was an experienced kiter.
somewhat true - if you have to pump up a lot of kites, if you do a lot of sessions, especially in hot weather or with large kites, or i you have back problems - its easy to like an electric pump (or compressor system if you will)

...just sayin'

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 am

thanks guys I appreciate it, I actually have two quick release, well one is quick, one is not really quick but still let goes of the kite its basically the same as a car seat belt buckle, the guy i bought the bar from added it to his chicken loop something to do with to add a little length to it not entirely sure why he added it, and then a regular quick release,

and yeah I am avoiding self launches thats actually the main reason why i have not put up the kite yet, waiting till someone is available to come with me

AeolianKitesurfing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia
Style: Lazy Riding
Gear: Cabrinha, Aeolian Board, Mystic Harness, Triple Action Pump
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Kitesurfing

Postby AeolianKitesurfing » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm

how about both?

A Hybrid/Electric Kite Pump

1.Electrically inflate to a full, unpressurized state
2.Pressurize manually by pumping up