Looking for light wind board

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for light wind board

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

bayron wrote:
The wind stopped guy lost his board and it turned upside down. When he swam back and tried to put board in right position sudden gust pulled his kite and he got very deep cut between 2 fingers with one of fins.
A cut between his fingers? How is that a serious injury?
Would you advise people against surfboards because people have lost an eye or gotten cuts from the fins on those?

mariod2
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mariod2 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Im using a navis boards Hulk. Its 142 x 44, and rides great in light wind. Got it custom made so it is bit soft as I ride in choppy waters. Its good board.

I did not wanna go for longer board as it gets bit too big and non-playful for my taste.

Paula
Rare Poster
Style: freeride

Postby Paula » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Paula wrote:Looking for light wind board as well. When wind is low, mine 133cm board is not capable to let me kite when others are on the water. :(
Looked through this topic and see that many are recommending race boards over usual twintip. Sorry for my lack of competence, but could someone explain me main differences between them?
question is still open

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 am

Paula wrote:
Paula wrote:Looking for light wind board as well. When wind is low, mine 133cm board is not capable to let me kite when others are on the water. :(
Looked through this topic and see that many are recommending race boards over usual twintip. Sorry for my lack of competence, but could someone explain me main differences between them?
question is still open
Race board - higher volume, long fins, ridden flat, directional boards.
TT - light wind designs are usually very low rocker, wide, long and on the softer side.

Race boards go upwind like frickin rockets (the ONLY TT I know of that can compete is the Flyrace and that has a huge dagger-fin that you have to fiddle with) but of course, you have to get used to them and there's a different skill set involved. There is a learning curve...

How's that?

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Paula wrote:
question is still open
Race board - higher volume, long fins, ridden flat, directional boards.
TT - light wind designs are usually very low rocker, wide, long and on the softer side.

Race boards go upwind like frickin rockets (the ONLY TT I know of that can compete is the Flyrace and that has a huge dagger-fin that you have to fiddle with) but of course, you have to get used to them and there's a different skill set involved. There is a learning curve...

How's that?
To go a little further than kamikuza: TT your feet stay in straps same way all day long. On race or free-race boards (e.g. Sector I am getting ready to pick up :D ) I will have to learn to switch my feet back to front and side to side as I change direction - from everything I read there is definitely some learning curve there. Then it is a different style of riding, instead of edging the board into the water to track upwind, you have to keep board flat as possible and use the fins in the water to track the board - means using the power of the kite differently to support yourself. I'm sure there are even more things for me to learn but these are the ones I'm prepared to spend the next few months mastering (no experience on directional)

Paula
Rare Poster

Postby Paula » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks for replies. Got the main idea now.
Seems that at least for now twintip will suit better for me.

pdg345
Rare Poster

Postby pdg345 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:38 pm

If you have decided to go for twintip advice you to take example from me and get yourself aboards Glider. Now have used it already quite a lot and I like this board more and more. I have size 154, so think that 147 will be OK for you.

pdg345
Rare Poster

Postby pdg345 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Paula wrote:Thanks for replies. Got the main idea now.
Did you choose board already? By the way just took a look on aboards new collection, and new Glider is nicely orange, in mine opinion just on time for a girl. :)

Paula
Rare Poster

Postby Paula » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm

pdg345 wrote:
Paula wrote:Thanks for replies. Got the main idea now.
Did you choose board already? By the way just took a look on aboards new collection, and new Glider is nicely orange, in mine opinion just on time for a girl. :)
Yes. Took your advice and chose Aboards Glider, size 147. For now had only one chance to ride with it but felt very good just right what i need to combine with my 133cm Cabrinha Caliber, so think that i can add it to my good purchases list. :)

Kober1974
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook NJ

Postby Kober1974 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Now you need big a$$ kite to go with you Glider .....lol...
Attachments
P1010231 - Version 2.jpg
P1010231 - Version 2.jpg (77.44 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”