Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Holiday in Dec or Jan - Zanzibar or Langebaan?

Forum for kitesurfers
Murvalous
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Holiday in Dec or Jan - Zanzibar or Langebaan?

Postby Murvalous » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:51 am

So they look to be about the same price to fly to, both look great, any ideas or reason I should choose one over the other?

thanks in advance

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Re: Holiday in Dec or Jan - Zanzibar or Langebaan?

Postby Lanc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 am

Murvalous wrote:So they look to be about the same price to fly to, both look great, any ideas or reason I should choose one over the other?

thanks in advance
Go with Zanzibar, Langebaan is way too crowded that time of year, unless you don't mind the crowds.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Never been to Zanzi (would like to) but can recommend Langeebaan. Been twice. February and Christmas New Year. I didn't find it very crowded, but I'm not a beginner. If you are a beginner then you might find it a bit crowded and intimidating but otherwise there is just about endless space to kite so long as it isn't essential that you do all your tricks for the crowd on the beach.

How's the wind in Zanzi?

Murvalous
Rare Poster

Postby Murvalous » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I think maybe then mid to late Jan would be better where ever I choose! The wind seems about the same at both and flights are similar, need to decide on other factors such as going there alone, other things to do, nightlife etc.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:28 pm

The wind in South Africa is strong when it is on and I believe much stronger than Zanzibar. In South Africa I was on an 8 or 7 meter most of the time and I weigh 85 kilograms. It's not on 100 percent in langebaan, so definitely plan on doing some other stuff while you are there on off days. (Safari, Vinyards, cape town tourist stites like Robben Island) etc. If you are really desperate for wind you can also usually drive down the coast until you find it from my experience, but not if you are a beginner.

I don't think the wind is all that strong in zanzibar ever. You're looking at 16 knots most of the time with the occasional >20 day. But if I am wrong about this I would love to hear this as I'll happily make a trip out to zanzi if I can get more than 16 knots. I really need about >18 to be happy. I'd also be curious to hear if Windguru/Windfinders are good and reliable indicators.

briansuntrax
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Tableview.
Golfinho hotel, Cumbuco.
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin Beach.
Cumbuco, upwind of Golfinho hotel.
Taiba to Paracaru downwinder.
Rede beach at low tide.
NOT Cauipe
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Dash and Pivots - Monarch TT.
Brand Affiliation: Owner Suntrax - Importer Naish Kitesuf South Africa.

Postby briansuntrax » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm

In terms of wind at that time of year Langebaan wins hands down :thumb:

Zanzibar
http://www.windguru.cz/int/historie_sta ... &model=gfs

Langebaan
http://www.windguru.cz/int/historie_sta ... 0&gl_csv=0

patrick28
Rare Poster

Postby patrick28 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Don't know anything about Langebaan but my recommendations for very nice kite centre in Zanzibar www.pajebykite.net

kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school

Postby kite_crazy66 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Langebaan does get super crowded.
I would go with Zanzibar although it might be a little more expensive and not as much other activities to do.
Also, if you are looking to meet new people and have fun in the evenings, I would go to Cape Town. Much more social than Zanzibar which is mostly honeymooners and people going to safaris in Tanzania.

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Can't say I really agree with Langebaan getting super crowded- not with kiters anyway. I've never had a problem with there being too many kiters. Sure, you'll get the learners starting outside of Pearlys and going downwind, but as long as you give them room, there's heaps of space!

I always used to find if you launched and took off from front of Pearlys and took a bit of time getting upwind and go back South (left), further into the lagoon, you usually have that area all to yourself! You certainly won't get any learners there anyway coz they can't get there. I always fancied going around the island too but never had the balls to do so in case there was some wind shadow the other side.

Peak time of year yes, it is very busy with holiday makers. We stayed with the In-Laws the other year and I went for a kite just after Xmas/ NY. It was hectic- trying to set-up/ launch through the throngs. It was in my view very sketchy with kids n folk all over the place. Managed to get a break and threw the think up quick and on the water.

As stated previously, just avoid going mid December to around mid/ late Jan and you should be fine once the schools and associated rabble go back.

Down the road in Table Bay, you got so many miles of kite beaches, you wont have to worry about crowds.

Nice webcam here outside the Best shop on Blouberg' front.

http://www.bestkiteboardingafrica.com/Webcam.php

and a few others....

http://www.xplorer.co.za/local/webcams/index.html

You see that "Table-cloth", appearing over the mountain, you know the Dr is blowing :thumb:

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm

No brainer LBN! Crowd control? You making a mountain out of a hole hill. You want to see busy check out Blouberg. Beside there are plenty other spots in and around the area to try. Join us on Facebook for more info. You will not get the wind you are looking for in Zanzibar.

https://www.facebook.com/kiteboarding.langebaan?fref=ts

Return to “Kitesurfing”