Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Board....which one

Postby flybykite » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 am

I just got my 133x41 2012 Monk today :jump: Stoked to get er out. I can tell its gonna do everything they say. I like the big handle for board offs and its a bit lighter than my X-Ride. The progressive flex is quite impressive and I imagine it will be the perfect for springloaded pop and soft landings. The footpads are super comfy and looke like they both lock on and allow your feet to exit and enter easy for oldschool tricks. I bought this board used based on several friends rave reviews as well as sooo many on the forums.

I've tried the Mako and although I liked the surfy feel, I found it heavy, not so much pop, & just not as adventurous as I'd like . I also have questions about their build quality. Got a older Zen just falling apart after 1 year.. Great for slashing through chop and easy on the knees.

I'll be back with more once I've put a couple hours on it.

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:14 am

Both the Monk and Supershinn make landings very soft. The reason is the high developed flex and overall concept. They are a class of its own. You have to try them because you can't see it.

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 am

Tough to make a decision with the Shinn range considering they are all really nice.

I spend time floating between several different width Monks (40, 41 & 44), The Street (42.5), Gintronic 41 Wide. All a little different each has their strong point.

Wainman Joke is also a great board, cush landings, descent upwind (when powered).

Shinn pads and straps are more comfy then Wainmans...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:05 am

Had the chance to try my new Monk Forever 134X42 and also the King George 144X49. WOW, what great boards they are! Incredible to say the least, best TT I've been on. What everyone say about them here is true. I will go with the larger KG tough at 146X50 for my 198lbs it will be perfect. Can't wait to try them more :thumb:

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 am

rightguard wrote:So what Shinn would you recommend for the softest landings? I would say I'm a freestyle rider trying to learn to pop more and do kite loops. Tiered of hard landings...
Monk or Supershinn; supershinn is more wakestyle; stance is larger, board is a bit longer and it is also a bit softer, it has more pop than the monk but you can jump higher with the monk.

But If you are getting into kiteloop I guess you are not trying it with some really big air at high speed so I think you would be better off with the supershinn.

Really smooth landing whatever the conditions.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:20 am

Yes for me still small down loop transitions, hooked in s-bend type jumps, back roll, front roll, but nothing very high.

The only thing is I can't have wide stance, kills my knees. Some boards like the Cabrihna Custom don't even have a narrow enough stance choice.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 am

RightGuard,
Living in Maui, you should be able to try out a decent amount of boards. I would really recommend talking to the Wainman Hawaii riders and ask for a demo of the Joke.
I am not sure if there's some demo Shinn boards around but you really need to give their lineup a try.
best of luck on your search.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 am

I can demo Cabrihna, Naish, and RRD... But they don't have many sizes. Last time I tried to demo a Naish they only had one two year old board. I need to find Wainman on the beach and try some of them. Never seen a Shinn board on the beach.

bengreen123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: So Cal
Gear: Best all the way

Postby bengreen123 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:45 am

Think I will go with the Monk Forever 130, sounds like a great board for old school tricks, big air and hooked in kiteloops. My old plank is a 120, but can be a pain to stay upwind in the lulls so thinking 130 should fit me well at 170lbs.

bengreen123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: So Cal
Gear: Best all the way

Postby bengreen123 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:52 am

Also looking at the Best Armada, any experience with that one?

Return to “Kitesurfing”