Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ass kicked

Postby big_d » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:27 am

robertovillate wrote:big d,

:roll:

I'm going to make some assumptions here so bear with me on that -

I assume you have enough money to go to the hospital, emergency room, doctors office for
follow-up visits, pain medications, perhaps surgery, loss of income due to injury, etc...soooo

...I'm going to also assume you can afford a proper lesson wth a qualified instructor...and none of this bullshit asking for tidbits of advice from other kiters who may all be very well intentioned, but who will very unlikely give you a full comprehensive 4 hour lesson, which will probably prevent your otherwise probable induction into the Darwin Club.

And I'll tell you what...I will give you a lesson at my normal rate of $300 usd, (and normally I advise people take at least 2 of these)....and then fast forward to the day that you have become a qualified kiter and maybe you can get certified to teach and you are earning an income from teaching....If at that day in the future you tell me you will give someone* a lesson for free I will gladly refund your $300.

:thumb:

*someone - means some average nob at the beach and does not include some super hot babe who you would love to jump after you show off all your bad ass moves.

lol well to start im in canada, so free health care :) and im not looking for a full lesson or someone to spend 4 hours teaching me online, just a tip, some quick advice, thats the best way to learn from others who do, pick up a thing here and there, after all isnt that what online forums are for, to share with others?

and at the moment if i was able to afford a lesson i would gladly take one, but at the moment I have other stuff to pay for so I am unable to get a proper lesson, so im using other resources to learn,

now im also a teacher/instructor in another sport, now if someone comes up to me asks me a quick question or wants some advice, damn straight im going to help them and give them advice,

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Postby wadoepotatoe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 am

For interest's sake, what other sport do you teach/instruct?

-Wade.

ps. The reason you aren't getting the 'tips' you are after is because people don't want to see you get ef'ed up and give kiteboarding some bad press. Many people have already given you the most valuable piece of advice (GET A LESSON) but you continue to ignore it. Fact is, if you can't afford a lesson...save your cash until you can.

big_d
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Bronco 6m

Postby big_d » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:48 am

wadoepotatoe wrote:For interest's sake, what other sport do you teach/instruct?

-Wade.

ps. The reason you aren't getting the 'tips' you are after is because people don't want to see you get ef'ed up and give kiteboarding some bad press. Many people have already given you the most valualbe piece of advice (GET A LESSON) but you continue to ignore it. Fact is, if you can't afford a lesson...save your cash until you can.
I teach hockey, im not ignoring it at all,
just not kiteboarding yet, just land flying, kinda wanted to get the kite up flying on land first then i def plan to take a lesson or 2 before I put on some skiis or step into the water
I'm looking around, I'm not just going to take a lesson with someone that has a website right, make sure they know what they are doing, (lol at this point im pretty sure anybody will know more then me)

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:50 am

I guess my only real question is before I take a lesson

should I stick with this 6m kite, or should I get smaller 1-2m trainer kite, will it make much of a difference before a lesson?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:14 am

If you buy the 1-2 m trainer kite it will save you a couple of live instructions. I started on a 3 m and it was too big.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:35 am

I've played organized ice hockey my whole life, in travelling youth leagues, scholastic teams, adult leagees...kiting and hockey cannot be compared, in terms of the danger involved...it's just different ...trust me.

Before I started kiting I also windsurfed for over 20 years, sailed for almost 30 years, taught sailing, ...still I KNEW that taking a series of kitesurfing lessons was important...and now I have taught kitesurfing for 8+ years.

Trainer kite - definitiely much better idea for learning on land - and the size depends on your conditions, your weight, etc. For the average person (150-190 lbs) I prefer a 3m kite. If you are in a really windy place a smaller kite might be OK, but I still would rather use a 3m kite with shorter lines.

If the trainer kite is too small it will be too "nervous" , whereas the 3m kite will feel a little more like a small LEI. Probably 50% of my students bought or borrowed a trainer kite and learned some basics before lessons. They generally did a lot better than those who did not.

I know that there are several instructors in Ontario. Since it is getting cold now your may not get to the point of kiting on the water, so my suggestion is that you learn to fly a trainer kite on land , take a lesson on the snow (snowkiting) with an instructor - dear God I hope we have better snow this year - and this will accelerate your ability incredibly to get on the water next Spring/Summer.

Other than some basic kite control skills you should get a lot of good safety information out of any first lesson.. A lot of this will transfer directly to the water, but it is still a good idea to have a water lesson with the water safety protocols and water-starting fundamentals.

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:48 am

robertovillate wrote:I've played organized ice hockey my whole life, in travelling youth leagues, scholastic teams, adult leagees...kiting and hockey cannot be compared, in terms of the danger involved...it's just different ...trust me.

Before I started kiting I also windsurfed for over 20 years, sailed for almost 30 years, taught sailing, ...still I KNEW that taking a series of kitesurfing lessons was important...and now I have taught kitesurfing for 8+ years.

Trainer kite - definitiely much better idea for learning on land - and the size depends on your conditions, your weight, etc. For the average person (150-190 lbs) I prefer a 3m kite. If you are in a really windy place a smaller kite might be OK, but I still would rather use a 3m kite with shorter lines.

If the trainer kite is too small it will be too "nervous" , whereas the 3m kite will feel a little more like a small LEI. Probably 50% of my students bought or borrowed a trainer kite and learned some basics before lessons. They generally did a lot better than those who did not.

I know that there are several instructors in Ontario. Since it is getting cold now your may not get to the point of kiting on the water, so my suggestion is that you learn to fly a trainer kite on land , take a lesson on the snow (snowkiting) with an instructor - dear God I hope we have better snow this year - and this will accelerate your ability incredibly to get on the water next Spring/Summer.

Other than some basic kite control skills you should get a lot of good safety information out of any first lesson.. A lot of this will transfer directly to the water, but it is still a good idea to have a water lesson with the water safety protocols and water-starting fundamentals.

thanks man i appreciate that, oh I know they dont compare but the teaching aspect is similar such as someone asking me for a drill to improve on something specific, i'd give them the drill, obviously not a full lesson plan then if they want more information you recommend coming to a class..etc

but yeah anyways that was my plan, get a kite up first something small then as soon as the snow hits take a lesson to do some snowkiting, and by the time summer hits id be ready for something bigger on the water, but for a first kite now that i actually have it and attempted to fly it a 6m does not seem that small

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:55 am

So if you read much on here you will quickly understand why you WON'T get a lot of quick tips and free pointers.

Kiteboarding is a really fun extreme sport & its different from a lot of extreme sports in that it not only puts the participant in danger of severe injury or death - it also puts innocent bystanders in danger.

People out teaching themselves endangers bystanders and endangers access to riding spots for experienced riders.

Save up your money, buy a used 1-2m trainer kite, after you are proficient with it go get a lesson on the water.

Good luck - its an amazing sport and worth the investment!
-and no I am not an instructor just an enthusiast!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 am

big_d wrote:

i def plan to take a lesson or 2 before I put on some skiis or step into the water

Skies ---
Now your talking !! That 6M will pull you just Fine in 10 to 12mph wind with
your snow-skies !!! Do Ya have a really Large open field's, that are kinda flat
and catch copious amounts of snow ? or even a frozen lake with snow on top !!

Snow kiting is the Shitz, on skies or a snow-board, i can do both with double prosthetics.

Bille

UAH -- get a (( Used )) 4-line 2M trainer, but Don't get a POS, ask what is the best one.
You can use a 2M on snow as well in the higher winds. Don't hook in and use Kite-savers
for your safety if you need to let go for emergency's. Off hand i like the Peter-Lynn
traction kites. And also there is the three-wheeled buggy or the mountain-board for
dry land kiting.
Don't waist your money on lessons till you can fly the 2M with your eyes shut , but
definitely get the kite savers that attach to the breaks and just above your hands
on the wrists.
Last edited by Bille on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 am

There is a solid kiting crew in the Toronto area. They also have some access problems. That is issues people telling them they can't kite at some of the limited launch areas up there. People trying to figure out how to do our sport without good instruction is a great way to lose access particularly if problems already exist. Some riders from your area monitor this site, hopefully they'll provide some input.

As far as getting your ass kicked, from what I gathered you didn't remotely come close. Here's a couple of cases from Lake Ontario where that is exactly what happened. There are lots of other accidents, these just came to mind. The less you know, the easier it is to fall into problems like this. These guys had been riding for a while too and weren't trying to figure things out on their own. This sport looks a lot easier than it actually is particularly when things go wrong.

Incredible Lofting Story From The Great Lakes

Another serious head injury accident last week

Here's a bonus video from Quebec. Note the kiting students slowly going along under control and the one clueless guy overpowered about to get his ass kicked slamming into the shore.

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?optio ... 85&Itemid=

Adequate quality pro kiting instruction is the way to go for many reasons.

Return to “Kitesurfing”