Forum for kitesurfers
kiteguy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What size surfboard

Postby kiteguy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:54 am

I'm just getting into surf style kiting after 6 years of twin tip. I'm getting a custom board made for me but I need advice on the length and width of the board. I'm going strapless and I'm 6'6" tall and 250lbs the waves I surf are 3'-6'. Any advice on board specs you think would be great and what do you ride?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Re: What size surfboard

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:16 am

What wind speeds or kite sizes?

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

kiteguy
Medium Poster

Postby kiteguy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 am

I fly a 15m liquid force hi fi and the wind speeds are from 10 to 20 knots

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 am

Hi, 6.2 x 209 myself.

For you to start: take a bigger board, probably a (retro) fish like board, that gives you a stable, early ride. Length: doesn't really matter, somewhere between 5.7 & 6.2, width: around 20 - 21, with a flat rocker outline.

That would give you a lot of fun!

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Damm you are a big guy ;)

I am only 5´8 and use from 5´8 to 6´1 in length. But how wide the board is, is also very important.

Here is my quiver for kitesurfing in waves:
5´8 x 18,5
5´9 x 18,8
5´11 x 18,75
6´0 x 18
6´1 x 18,25
6´1 x 18,5

I think when the board gets more than 19 wide, it is too much a hazzle to make a snappy turn. But when you are as big as you are, I belive a 6´1 - 6´3 in length and 18,5 - 19 wide would be a good size that would fit as long as you have wind above 22 knots. For ligther wind and more mellow surfing you might want to get a fish, but this will not turn on a dime...not even a plate!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 pm

it depends on how you intend to ride. More surfy smaller mushier waves in onshore conditions..move towards modern fish with a bit of toe-in on the fins. Go relatively wide IMO 19 is no problem. If you ride faster more powered, go skinnier..harder rails..fins less toe -in and less cant, 4 or 5 boxes.

I am 6'1'' my most used board lately is a 4'8'' naish skater. twin fins..up to about headhigh it works great..like riding a skateboard...killer fun. My favorite is the 5'4'' skater...when I ride the longer boards now I think they feel like there is so much board to turn around. Obviously when the waves get bigger I use a longer skinnier strapped board...

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 pm

It's not so much the length, but the volume. I'm 6'2 and weigh about 200 and my comfortable volume for surfing is 33-36 L. I can go a little less for kiting since I always have the option of using the power of my kite over the flatter sections, where in regular surfing I can't.
I have a 6'2" Firewire Alternator that I can comfortably start riding at 15mph and over. However, I have a 5'11" Fish that starts working in 11mph because it has more volume. The hybrid shapes and fish shapes will have more volume per length then your high performance surfboards. You can get a general idea of your optimum volume on the follwing website by entering some personal variables. You can also see how the different shapes of surfboards will yield different volumes. It will untimately come down to the type of waves you will be riding to determine which shape to get. Your optimum volume can then help you pick the correct size. Good Luck. :D

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... erview.php

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 am

tautologies wrote:it depends on how you intend to ride. More surfy smaller mushier waves in onshore conditions..move towards modern fish with a bit of toe-in on the fins. Go relatively wide IMO 19 is no problem. If you ride faster more powered, go skinnier..harder rails..fins less toe -in and less cant, 4 or 5 boxes.

I am 6'1'' my most used board lately is a 4'8'' naish skater. twin fins..up to about headhigh it works great..like riding a skateboard...killer fun. My favorite is the 5'4'' skater...when I ride the longer boards now I think they feel like there is so much board to turn around. Obviously when the waves get bigger I use a longer skinnier strapped board...
Funny - I also have the 5´4 Skater, but don´t even use it in waves. Therefore I did not list it above in my strapless quiver (also have 1 board for straped that I bougth for Cape Verde, but ended up riding it strapless anyway). For me the Skater 5´4 is just for bumb and jump in hip high conditions. Just shows how personal this is...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:12 am

lander wrote: Funny - I also have the 5´4 Skater, but don´t even use it in waves. Therefore I did not list it above in my strapless quiver (also have 1 board for straped that I bougth for Cape Verde, but ended up riding it strapless anyway). For me the Skater 5´4 is just for bumb and jump in hip high conditions. Just shows how personal this is...
Definitely personal preference, but it might also show a little what a shitty wave summer we've had over here. :-?

..but then this hits http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/hawai ... tos_66541/

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:40 am

At your height and weight,wind range you kite in,your going to need width and volume and later get a more gunny board for big wind days,imo after 19 wide its not as much fun, TONY

Return to “Kitesurfing”