Gear: Xenon + Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Some good tips for beginners

Postby Jdude » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am

Wish I had seen that when i started kiting :roll:

Anyway, Is she riding a Xenon Infra ?
Do Real Kiteboarding sell Xenon boards ?

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am

Speed is your friend. Once you get your board speed, lock in your edge and push hard with your back leg. It is really important to maintain your board speed no matter what the wind is doing. If you are going fast you can go upwind.

Kite Low and Go. If you position your kite below 45degrees in the wind window, you can have better control of the kite by edging your board. When the kite is high, you get pulled off your edge and go down wind. With the kite low, you can edge hard, force the kite forward in the wind window and track upwind.

Stance is everything. Keep your back knee bent and your front leg straight. Dig your heels in so you are throwing a nice fan of spray off the tail of your board. Open your shoulders and hips in the direction that you are going, and most importantly LOOK UPWIND!

Some disagreement there...
1/ Speed should not be over-praised, enough speed to get going and keep going is ideal, more than that will not help a newbie go upwind.
2/ When the kite is lower than 45 degrees it is more likely that it will end up in the water in a bad moment, in which case any upwind ground gained will be lost in seconds. The upward force exerted by a kite higher than 45 degrees may act against edging but it is helpful to maintain planing as it counterbalances part of the rider's weight. A kite at 45 or a bit higher is probably the best goal for a newbie to learn upwind. Too high or too low does not help.
3/ As far as stance is concerned, is veeeeery important to push your hips forward and your shoulders backward, avoiding the toilet-seat stance, this is not mentioned in the article. Also, to stiffen your abdominals and your legs a bit by isometric contraction, in order to improve the transfer of power from the kite to the board, through your body.
Most of us know all these by experience but as the above - otherwise very helpful - article may now be read by many begginners, I felt there was a point in pointing out a few things :)

capitan nemo
Medium Poster

Postby capitan nemo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 am

Never seen a newbie going too fast.
They always sit down or fall before they gain true overspeed.
I think that Joanna ment that a beginner, even if thinks is overspeeding, is really not overspeeding.

After standing up i rarely see any newbie crashing the kite, only when they fall or try to work the kite around.

I don't have lots of experience but i have taught about 30 students.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Good tips,but most important get familiar with your QR, pratice release,release,TONY

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:38 pm

The article is actually about learning to go upwind. Which has nothing to do with learning your safety systems. All the tips make perfectly good sense for going upwind. Like the article says, it is easier to go upwind if you have some speed, keep the kite low so you can edge easier, etc.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

One of the top tips for people at that stage needs to be "push the bar out to go upwind" - it's totally counterintuitive for anyone learning and so it has to be made explicit. I've seen that tip unlock upwind for people really fast.

I like to get in a discussion about tuning/AofA/stalling while the student is taking a break from learning basic kite skills. This can get tied in to keeping the kite at the edge of the window once the student is trying to go upwind.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:The article is actually about learning to go upwind. Which has nothing to do with learning your safety systems. All the tips make perfectly good sense for going upwind. Like the article says, it is easier to go upwind if you have some speed, keep the kite low so you can edge easier, etc.
Yes your correct,and good tips TONY

Return to “Kitesurfing”