Forum for kitesurfers
kitezup
Medium Poster
Gear: Gin Guru
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem with fin screws

Postby kitezup » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 am

Have some problems with getting 1 screw out from my surfboard. It has no grip anymore, its just rounded hole ... so no screwdriver in my tool box can get a grip .... any tips on how to pull that screw out?

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Problem with fin screws

Postby Lanc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am

I have drilled a problem screw like this out before. Start with the smallest drill bit and slowly go bigger. Try and judge the angle right by measuring the angle with the other hole.

I've tried to steel epoxy an old screw key to the bad screw but never came right with this trick.

Best advice is replace the grub screw at the first signs of any wear on the head to avoid this problem later down the line.

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot

Postby Jdude » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 am

Try an Impact screw driver.

kitezup
Medium Poster

Postby kitezup » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Lanc wrote:Best advice is replace the grub screw at the first signs of any wear on the head to avoid this problem later down the line.

Yeah that was the case, successfully replaced 5 8) .... but 1 is a trouble maker :angryfire:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

If the screw is not countersunk, you can simply saw a new notch in the head.
Very easy !

Assume it is for footstraps and not fins, as noone (except for Slingshot) uses screws for surfboard fins.

If you got a footstrap where you can NOT saw a notch for some reason, then you have another alternative:

If you have access to one at a workshop, you can use or borrow a "screw extractor".

This is a narrow diameter screw tap with left handed thread, so you drill a hole in your screw, and can turn the screw out by means of this left handed screw tap, by simply cutting a new thread counterclockwise in your drilled hole.

Otherwise - if you have some kind of "Dremel" tools or similar - you can try to make a small slot/notch in the head, without wrecking the board (not easy though...) - but might not be possible as the stainless screw is extremely hard.

Finally, if it is a mini-tuttle box fin, you can drill the head "away" and ditch the fin and use a new one instead.

Just a couple of solutions :thumb:

:D Peter

kitezup
Medium Poster

Postby kitezup » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:18 pm

its one of the grub screws in the fins ...

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm

A small drill bit and a screw extractor is a fairly cheap method that can prevent damage to the surrounding equipment. I've used 'em without the fancy holder before - just a pair of locking pliars... Use the size of drill bit specified on the package. The key for me was to tap it in with a hammer before turning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

What Peter said. :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm

kitezup wrote:its one of the grub screws in the fins ...
Aaah, sorry, I did not get the "topic headline" which said it was the fin screws loud and clear - my mistake...

So it is the small "Allen key" fin screws.

Still, a small screw extractor might do it.

To prevent the hex from damage, one has to be careful, as there are two almost identical screws, but the Allen keys dont match :cry:

One is the most used Future and FCS grub screws which are typical US/Imperial, whereas Naish uses a Metric size for their FCS/DFS fins.

So one is 2.38mm (3/32"), the other is 2.5mm.

And they dont fit into each other - and such a small difference that you can almost not measure it :(

We have often bothered A LOT with this, when on wave trips together, and "borrowing" Allen keys from each other :x

I've also seen some "cheap" fin keys, that are not 3/32 nor 2.5 and looks like something not belonging to any standard :(
They also tend to be damaged really easy - too soft and not hardened material, so they get messed up fast :wink:

:D Peter

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Mon May 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Yes, I have now encountered some fin screws that are 2.5mm hex (Cabrinha 2014 Futures-compatible box) and of course the classic 3/32" FCS and Futures grub screws.

I had thought I had stripped the grub screws on Cabrinha but they are a different size (I actually threw out 2 "FCS" keys (but they were probably ready to go anyway).

I may replace the metric screws with good-old 3/32 screws just to keep my sanity (allowing me to carry just one size of fin key).

Return to “Kitesurfing”