All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Florida?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 am 
Frequent Poster

What are the best times of year to visit and what are some of the best spots to visit? Please help me narrow it down a bit.

Thanks,

SR

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Florida?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm 
Medium Poster

Windy season in South Florida is typically November through March, although I'm not offering any guarantees.

There is a wide variety of conditions available, so it depends on what you are looking for. There is great flat water riding in Miami or the Florida Keys. I live in Jupiter, so not much access to flat water, but when it's blowing good, we do have opportunities for OH to double OH surf. I have not been over to the west coast of Florida to kite, but there is supposed to be great flat water riding in the Gulf around Sanibel Island or further north in Tampa/St. Pete area. Good mix of launch sites that will allow kiting in all wind directions, some stuff in the Bay and some in the Gulf.

The best thing about the east coast of South Florida (at least in my area) is the proximity of the Gulf Stream. It keeps the surf temp above the lower 70s even on the few cold days we get down here. So my "winter" kiting gear consists of boardshorts and a 2mm wetsuit top. Never had any issues just going out in that.

Last weekend in January is the Jupiter Kite Invasion. Pretty big event with lots of demo opportunities with many of the major companies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:59 pm 
Rare Poster

I was just in the Miami area;something to think about.

You have to be able to prove you have a certain level of kiteing proficency or do a test and get a card to have access to certain beachs.

There are also charges/ fees to kite a some of the beach's as well as proof of insurance, you can look it up on the Florida Kiteboarding Ass. website.

There is a large concentration of kiter's in the Miami area and not all beach goers appreciate our use of the beach hence the rules.

Great place to visit and I have enjoyed my kiteing there but you can't just go and pump up your kite anywhere ( in the Miami area) so do your research and enjoy.

I'm sure some of the locals will add some info to this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
What are the best times of year to visit and what are some of the best spots to visit?

the best months of the year for wind are Nov. , Dec., Jan. , Feb. , Mar. and Apr.

the best spots are , working clockwise around the state:

<Matanzas Inlet, <Daytona Bch., <Cocoa Bch., <Ft. Pierce Inlet, <Jupiter,
<Crandon Park, <Key West, >Tiger Tail Bch., >Sanibel Island, >Sarasota Bches,
>St. Petersburg Bches, <Sunshine Skyway and >Ft. Walton Bches

< Requires East winds
> Requires West winds

That's allota driving. To keep it simple (get both East and West winds) you could
try just the Keys or the Tampa Bay areas, they work on any wind direction as do a few other
spots, Sanibel Causeway and Melbourne Intercoastal.
If you go in Jan. or Feb. you will likely need a fullsuit North of Miami.
Miami and South you don't really ever need more than a shorty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 pm 
Medium Poster

West Palm Beach is the closest point of approach of the Gulf Stream. I'd say North of Stuart is where you might need a full suit. I'm about 80 miles north of Miami, don't even own a full suit and I have never had an issue unless the air temp is less than 60 (which is maybe only 10 days a year, typically). Average day time highs are in the mid 70's in December and January. I know the winter water temp in Jupiter is higher than it is in the Keys in having gone kiting one weekend here and on a snorkelling trip in Key Largo the following weekend.

[ 5 posts ]