Upgrade to Cabrinha 2013 lines

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Upgrade to Cabrinha 2013 lines

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 am

Is it possible to upgrade an older bar to the new 2013 lines? More specifically, has anyone tried to upgrade the lines on a 2011 ids bar with 2013 lines?

Thanks!

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Re: Upgrade to Cabrinha 2013 lines

Postby C Johnson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:24 am

yeah its possible. I just did it last weekend on a 2012 bar.

I only did from the Y up and the steering lines. Didn't bother replacing any of the stuff below the Y on the mains because it all looked pretty good still. The swap took about 30mins to do.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:16 pm

C Johnson wrote:yeah its possible. I just did it last weekend on a 2012 bar.

I only did from the Y up and the steering lines. Didn't bother replacing any of the stuff below the Y on the mains because it all looked pretty good still. The swap took about 30mins to do.
Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know. Im going to grab some '12 kites on clearance, change the lines and add the hook handles from the '13s and ill be all set.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:10 pm

The 2013 lines have a nice hand to them.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 pm

will you post where you get the handles from?

I want to change the little balls out on my bar trimmer for a set of T handles

boyceduke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cambersands
Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby boyceduke » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 pm

hi, are cabrinha 2012 lines that bad then? i was contemplating a 2012 switchblade but i have recently just found negative reviews every where re: lines stretching, bladders leaking, slow, heavy bar pressure etc... I have owned slingshot kites and never had a problem with the bar or lines... as with ozone... perhaps i need to re think this...

just confused why you would buy a 2012 kite and change the lines to the 2013 version, surely makes financial sense just to buy the 2013

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm

There is nothing wrong with the 2012 lines, there are the same as the previous years. The 2013 lines are a new construction material and a better line.

The T handle upgrade is a replacement to the balls that are not friendly to grab. Its a better design. My local dealer said he can order the t handles from Cabrinha.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm

boyceduke wrote:hi, are cabrinha 2012 lines that bad then? i was contemplating a 2012 switchblade but i have recently just found negative reviews every where re: lines stretching, bladders leaking, slow, heavy bar pressure etc... I have owned slingshot kites and never had a problem with the bar or lines... as with ozone... perhaps i need to re think this...

just confused why you would buy a 2012 kite and change the lines to the 2013 version, surely makes financial sense just to buy the 2013
they are fine they just stretch really bad, I don't know why they don't prestretch them like other brands. 2012 switchblade is fine if thats what youre looking for, i got rid of mine because they were holding me back for unhooking.

2012 bladders seemed solid, and the canopy is a really good material (not like 2010/2011). bar pressure is like an old c-kite and its probably one of the slowest turning kites on the market

if you like that then its a good kite for you. some of the old kooks here are complaining that the 2013 switchblade doesn't have enough bar pressure and they can't feel the kite (because it matters a lot when you ride back and forth in a straight line)

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 pm

2013 lines look identical to 2012 lines. they just have what feels like a wax coating on the 2013 lines. They are very nice lines and the mains are much larger diameter then what I see on most bars. They are just slightly smaller in diameter compared to the Slingshot 800lb lines.

2012 lines were not bad they were really good but they did stretch some. All lines do over time. 2012 is far better then the older zebra striped lines which were eventually recalled due to uncontrolled stretching. At least the 2012 and 2013 lines should stretch uniformly. When I replaced my 2012 lines they had stretched about 3 inches over the course of a season but both mains were equal and both steering lines were equal which was good.

boyceduke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cambersands
Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby boyceduke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 pm

hi, how heavy is the bar pressure compared to say a slingshot rpm, ozone c4... slow kites are a little boring to..

Return to “Kitesurfing”