Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: race fin education?

Postby sniper68 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 am

sniper68 wrote:
stringy wrote:
vincent55 wrote:i have started racing for the last couple of months and really want to get into it. i have realized that fins are very important and also realized i dont know much about them. for instance;
what is G10 all about?
what are the different types of finboxes?
where can fins be purchased?
also i am riding the monaro V2, it is already outdated, but i will make due with it for the upcoming summer. i would like to try different fins on it though, perhaps some straight and longer ones.
does anybody know if it is possible to get these for this board?
is the finbox on the V2 a mini tuttle?
riding in western canada all summer so something close to there would be ideal.......thanks in advance
G10 is a high strength cloth based material laminated in a epoxy resin, that can be CNC machined somewhat easily and has low water absorption characteristics.

on most recent race boards you will see tuttle and powerbox design fin boxes.

check out the squamish racing program and also head to Seattle if possible for racing all season long. more info on NW racing can be found on www.pskite.org

as for development and what works best for your board, last year was a major year in fin development and refinements. Paolo Rista and his team of R & D riders has spent a considerable amount of testing, doing all the foot work for us already. I'd suggest contacting Rista in regards to what would work best for your board. He knows his stuff and is close to you (maui).
Attachments
fin minitt 3040.JPG
Data Analysis RX RACE HIPROFINS
hiprofins@gmail.com

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Sniper this is pretty yes, but I'm at a loss to understand what I'm looking at and why it's relevant.
(can't read the title block due to language)

The edge restraints units lack of flow lines and central pressure distribution make me think it's an FEA diagram and not a CFD analysis.

Given you're website shows you are using G10 fins and not molded hollow carbon (where you could control the stress with layup) the near perfect symmetry here makes me think either

a) you've sacrificed foil effiiency for mechanical symmetry either to produce little to no twist
b) you're applied load is wrong/oversimplified.
c) you plugged a fin drawing into an FEA program made a pretty picture and are trying to impress this forum with "high tech" design.
d) This is showcasing a careful and brilliant design accomplishment and I'm to stupid to understand why.

If I'm wrong (about the FEA) and this a CFD pressure distribution, why is half this fin contributing little to no lift?

Please take the time to explain your design, it's goals and why it is awesome. You can also take the opportunity to make me look like an ignorant ass in the process....race fin education is the title of the post so I'm ready to be schooled. "ask rista what to buy" is all I've taken from this post so far which is pretty weak.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:Sniper this is pretty yes, but I'm at a loss to understand what I'm looking at and why it's relevant.
I like pretty colors too! It is an FEA, because the units are Von Mises stresses in N/mm^2.

I'm also not sure why this is being shown though?

Return to “Kitesurfing”