Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram Airs crash at the Olympics

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:54 am

Mr_Weetabix wrote:
plummet wrote:thered be a whole lote of top lei flyers that simply couldn't fly the big foil.! it would be a laugh.
I doubt it. That would suggest that foils are difficult to fly, and they're not.
foils have different techniques to get the best out them. fly them like a lei you wont get the best out of them. it takes time to learn. just as it takes time to learn lei's coming from off foils.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:17 am

Pumpmeup

Has your toy broken again?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 pm

PMU brings up an interesting point, we'll have to see what happens in Rio.

In traditional kite competition riders go with their sponsors and ride whatever kites they are given. But if an individual athlete gets the coveted opportunity to perform his sport in front of the entire world and compete to be the best, he or she is going to choose the style of kite that most increases their chance to win. They're going for gold in this one, not a magazine cover. ;)

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

not sure about that Captain

in Beijing we had several swimmers complaining about not being able to use the Speedo LZR swinning suit cause their federation (!) had some sponsorship agremeent with other brands

to be honest didn´t follow-up these stories till the end and don´t know how it went, but it is/was not only about gold and glory

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:not sure about that Captain

in Beijing we had several swimmers complaining about not being able to use the Speedo LZR swinning suit cause their federation (!) had some sponsorship agremeent with other brands

to be honest didn´t follow-up these stories till the end and don´t know how it went, but it is/was not only about gold and glory
Wow. You'd think at that level even the sponsors would just want their athletes to win! Well, luckily that suit isn't an issue any more. Didn't allow it in London.

First time in the Olympics, there are a lot of kiters who never thought they'd have a chance to compete for their country at this level. I have to think after a few races, if the kiter does not think his gear will even get him to the Olympics, he'll switch to something that does.

I have zero experience with foils other than trainers. I'm not picking sides. I'll let the athletes decide...

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 pm

PMU, where have you been for the last 30 years? What in the world is a "ram air"?

That term hasn't been used since the 80's, dude. You're showing your age.

Doesn't air ram into the front of the leading edge bladder of your LEI?

Dude, you might want to update your vocabulary, if you want to be taken seriously.

Ram airs...........Really? :rollgrin:

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 pm

plummet wrote:
Mr_Weetabix wrote:
plummet wrote:thered be a whole lote of top lei flyers that simply couldn't fly the big foil.! it would be a laugh.
I doubt it. That would suggest that foils are difficult to fly, and they're not.
foils have different techniques to get the best out them. fly them like a lei you wont get the best out of them. it takes time to learn. just as it takes time to learn lei's coming from off foils.
Sure, but I doubt that "top LEI flyers" "simply couldn't fly the big foil". I'm intrigued to know what people think the difference is - I'm conscious that (after a year and a half with a 19m Speed3 as my light wind insurance) I fly the big pillowcase differently to my blow-up toys, but I've always seen this as light wind technique rather than foil technique.

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:07 pm

This argument will end in 2016 and only the diehards will be pushing the side that lost.
So far marketing and sponsorship and perception have driven the LEI revolution.

If foils are indeed any good then the national sailing teams of the top countries will be testing them behind the scene to see what works best, they will not leave any stone upturned in the pursuit of gold :thumb:

These teams will do more for light wind R&D in the next four years than all the kite companies have done in the last 10 to find out what is truly the best kite to get a board around a course and win gold :naughty:

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:35 pm

wdric wrote:This argument will end in 2016 and only the diehards will be pushing the side that lost.
So far marketing and sponsorship and perception have driven the LEI revolution.

If foils are indeed any good then the national sailing teams of the top countries will be testing them behind the scene to see what works best, they will not leave any stone upturned in the pursuit of gold :thumb:

These teams will do more for light wind R&D in the next four years than all the kite companies have done in the last 10 to find out what is truly the best kite to get a board around a course and win gold :naughty:
Dude, i dont know what it is like in your country, but where I come from there is hardly any money for olympic 'amateur' athletes. Maybe the Chinese will push LW kiting...at least they have a budget...

I hope you are right that the competition will be open (may the best kite win and all that shit), and that R&D $$$ will be spent helping the athletes, but in reality it is likely to be the same racers you see now, spending their own money to train and riding on similar, sponsor supplied gear. This post isn't about LEI/Foils, just the sad reality of the olympic fringe sports.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:53 am

Mr_Weetabix wrote:Sure, but I doubt that "top LEI flyers" "simply couldn't fly the big foil". I'm intrigued to know what people think the difference is - I'm conscious that (after a year and a half with a 19m Speed3 as my light wind insurance) I fly the big pillowcase differently to my blow-up toys, but I've always seen this as light wind technique rather than foil technique.
IMO you mostly need to be ready for the quirks, primarily when the kite gets out of its 'envelope' of normal flight range...
The Captain wrote:I hope you are right that the competition will be open (may the best kite win and all that shit), and that R&D $$$ will be spent helping the athletes, but in reality it is likely to be the same racers you see now, spending their own money to train and riding on similar, sponsor supplied gear. This post isn't about LEI/Foils, just the sad reality of the olympic fringe sports.
This. He who throws the most money at it, wins.

Will steroids help kite racers? The line starts behind Lance...

Return to “Kitesurfing”