Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is it possible to do a handle pass if you are big?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Is it possible to do a handle pass if you are big?

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:03 am

mike does an older pull up dangle pass in vid too, probably harder..

wave kicker flat 3s (airpassed) - no problem for any weight.. just blat downwind just before you hit kicker to kill line tension , bar to hip Very hard as you take off and spin -muuch less pull... - i prefer this kind of pass - more boardriding skills than gymnastic dangling. A lot of kiteboard wakestyle is gymnastic dangling, even with kite angle much lower it is still relatively high, not saying that is bad, good whatever.. just is what it is

Plenty of 110kg riders in nz, none into unhooking. Like i said long flat water sups and intense 100 wave, wave sessions - my friends have lost collectively the most ridiculous amount of weight

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kitedude » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 pm

the problem with bigger guys is that they need bigger kites, which tend to be slower.

on top of this you got the 2^3 rule.

so when wind speed doubles the power increase by 8.
so big guy on a big kite, will fell much more power in a loop or gust than a small guy with a smaller kite.

look at gymnasits there all 4ft Chinese girls with a lower centre of gravity and lighter on the toes. in saying that theres noe reason why a big guy can't do it if he is limber enough.

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn

Postby peet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:23 pm

I've recently started landing Blind Judges after a year and a half of trying very hard. Its not uncommon at all that people find this trick difficult, as it is a real step up from the railey to blind (although it doesn't look that complex a trick at all)

I'm 80Kg, so not as heavy as you, but I doubt i could do 8 pullups with a weight belt, so I'd guess your power to weight ratio is fine. When I landed my first BJ, it wasn't because I'd gotten stronger, it was because I'd got the technique right.

What's going wrong with yours?
Are you catching / touching the bar in mid air? but crashing afterwards? Or do you not get your back hand to the bar at all ?
Is the kite crashing fast into the water? or flying up into the sky ?
Are you getting hold of the bar, but only on or after landing?
Are you doing a railey (board above head)? a gailey? or more of a side-on 911 style railey?
Have you asked a Pro/better rider to watch you?

Other questions: How consistent/powered is your railey to blind? Can you do a shifty to wrapped? Have you tried a shifty3 ?

On the positive side, once you do have that breakthrough and nail it, with all that practice, it should become pretty consistent in a short period of time.
Keep at it bro!

gingerfinger
Rare Poster

Postby gingerfinger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

This is good motivation thanks guys - girls can do it, and I'll do loads in a row after the first one! Although If I do every do one I'll probably just explode a in massive ball of relief and then buy me a wave board ;)

Main prob I think is my arm is always yanked straight back behind me when I take off the backhand so can't grab the bar when I come round as it seems too far away, even though I start with arms bent on railley and pull in hard again to front hip to start rotation. Just can't get the lines slack. That is why I was wondering if there is a diff kite on the market that makes it easier to get slack?

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 am

Kite is ok, your weight is ok your technique needs work
Post a video so we can see whats going on

PingPong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Øysand
Favorite Beaches: Praia do Cumbuco
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RPM, Switchblade, Shinn, Mystic

Postby PingPong » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 pm

If you spent less time in the hammoch playing scrabble and more time on the water I guess you would have sorted this trick by now :wink:

gingerfinger
Rare Poster

Postby gingerfinger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 pm

U slag hammock time is mental preparation and body reparation.... Vital !

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:06 pm

1. Which kite to you use? Try Slingshot Fuel or other pure C kite. You will feel total slack.
2. Try going massive downwind before jumping. Harder to pop, so take bigger speed. More slack.

Return to “Kitesurfing”