Been thanked: 0

Re: Which raceboard should i buy?

Postby drewkite » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 am

pndLA wrote:

Post subject: Re: Which raceboard should i buy? Reply with quote
SalmonSlayer wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabrinha-178-Ra ... 3987459%26
it´s the old model... 4-fin and only 53 wide
the fins are powerbox - so cant use them for any other board...
But maybe more for learning no?? For that price you cant even buy a decent pair of fins
So could i get my money back? OR should i just go straight with ML and dont
F U C K around?
Y

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 am

Good luck procrastinating for few more months. I second the opinion - get a new generation race board, whatever make and get cranking. There are "kids" in my area who as soon as they learn to get on TT and go back and forth, completely bypassed everything else and got on raceboards. These are guys that will be kicking your (and mine) butt until we quit in frustration ;-). IMO you just kicking the idea of racing around and are not all that serious about it.

isaldarriaga
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Boquilla
Favorite Beaches: Cabo de la Vela, Guajira, Colombia
Calima Lake, Colombia
Style: Freeride, Big Air
Gear: Wipika AMP 9.6m
Slingshot FUEL 17m
GlobeRider 8.8m

Postby isaldarriaga » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:51 pm

I agree with borist. Do your best and get a new one. That's what i did (http://www.coguacustom.com/productos_kiteracing.php). But, i think you don't have to wait for a ML unless you are involved in the racing arena at the moment.

There are custom shapers that can bring you a great board with the latest technology and specifications near your area. Look for the IKA box rules compliance, carbon layouts, what the people is saying about that board, or who is in the background of the development and testing process. I think you should care about how long the board is going to live, rather than it's real top performance or weight. You'll get the best performance with the fins set, the kite (check out who is in top rankings, and checkout the technical details of those 2 things), and your own training.

If your local shaper is in the process of register the board to IKA, awesome. Maybe you could get a great discount because there's a time limit for registering and maybe he want to get the first production batch out as soon as possible with an attractive price. Also shipping is a great advantage, local shipping will cost you around 40 USD in your country, 400USD internationally, or even zero if you pick the board up at the beach.

So my best suggestion is start writing emails to all the locals, international or national builders, ask for all of these things, how the board is designed, price, discounts, etc, and take the best option for your needs.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 pm

isaldarriaga wrote:I agree with borist. Do your best and get a new one. That's what i did (http://www.coguacustom.com/productos_kiteracing.php). But, i think you don't have to wait for a ML unless you are involved in the racing arena at the moment.

There are custom shapers that can bring you a great board with the latest technology and specifications near your area. Look for the IKA box rules compliance, carbon layouts, what the people is saying about that board, or who is in the background of the development and testing process. I think you should care about how long the board is going to live, rather than it's real top performance or weight. You'll get the best performance with the fins set, the kite (check out who is in top rankings, and checkout the technical details of those 2 things), and your own training.

If your local shaper is in the process of register the board to IKA, awesome. Maybe you could get a great discount because there's a time limit for registering and maybe he want to get the first production batch out as soon as possible with an attractive price. Also shipping is a great advantage, local shipping will cost you around 40 USD in your country, 400USD internationally, or even zero if you pick the board up at the beach.

So my best suggestion is start writing emails to all the locals, international or national builders, ask for all of these things, how the board is designed, price, discounts, etc, and take the best option for your needs.

I live in Mexico and i know a shapper that does race boards but they are not registered, also i really want something competitive in the rankings the top guys are using ML also, does the board hull really is important. I mean like more than the fins? I dont want to spend to much but i would pay the money for a ML because its worth it! My question is if im in that Cabrinha training a year or so and next summer when im ready for NorthAmericans or Worlds jump to a brand new ML would i do improve im thinking in the Cabrinha not for competition board more like a training board beat up board and if im fast in that board could you imagine how fast i would be
In a ML i would be really good get the tacks and gybes down then go get a ML just for competitions and have the Cab as my training board ??

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 pm

you need to train and race on the same board your body will learn habits on the other board that won't go well when you change over.

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Postby pndLA » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:26 am

just wondering... did you take a look at the NJS board yet? or contact Nils about delivery time?

just a side info.... we (at the shop) got a mail from from ozone a few weeks ago where matt is writing about the boards:
Nils owner and shaper of NJS Designs that has been the leader of Kite race Board design since the beginning. We are riding the CF6 and we have been fortunate to also have a Mikes Lab to compare to. Both boards are by far the leading race boards currently available and our support is 100% behind Mikes Lab and NJS and support is what they deserve and need from us all as the major brands copy their designs......I am riding one of the 1st batch of production NJS CF6's from Cobra and its seriously fast, even Mikes Lab himself at Sherman Island just before the USA Championships back to backed with his friend Nils and came in saying to us all the CF6 was faster especially easier downwind.....This is exactly what I have found, the CF6 is far easier to ride = faster thanks to its finer entry nose/rail shape and a pointed nose, not a blunt nose like the ML.....I am entered for the Worlds and have the luxury of choosing which board to take. Both are excellent & ML also have their 1st production order with Cobra being made as I tap but I've decided to compete with the NJS CF6 at the Worlds as it has made me faster.
and to make sure: i am not involved with NJS at all - i just met Nils when he visited our lake some weeks ago and got to try the board and was really impressed!

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:19 pm

pndLA wrote:just wondering... did you take a look at the NJS board yet? or contact Nils about delivery time?

just a side info.... we (at the shop) got a mail from from ozone a few weeks ago where matt is writing about the boards:
Nils owner and shaper of NJS Designs that has been the leader of Kite race Board design since the beginning. We are riding the CF6 and we have been fortunate to also have a Mikes Lab to compare to. Both boards are by far the leading race boards currently available and our support is 100% behind Mikes Lab and NJS and support is what they deserve and need from us all as the major brands copy their designs......I am riding one of the 1st batch of production NJS CF6's from Cobra and its seriously fast, even Mikes Lab himself at Sherman Island just before the USA Championships back to backed with his friend Nils and came in saying to us all the CF6 was faster especially easier downwind.....This is exactly what I have found, the CF6 is far easier to ride = faster thanks to its finer entry nose/rail shape and a pointed nose, not a blunt nose like the ML.....I am entered for the Worlds and have the luxury of choosing which board to take. Both are excellent & ML also have their 1st production order with Cobra being made as I tap but I've decided to compete with the NJS CF6 at the Worlds as it has made me faster.
and to make sure: i am not involved with NJS at all - i just met Nils when he visited our lake some weeks ago and got to try the board and was really impressed!
Where can i contact NJS? Im interested

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:05 pm

www.njsdesigns.org you will be stoked on this board

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:05 pm

stefaans wrote:www.njsdesigns.org you will be stoked on this board
Thanks! I just sent him an email Yes i was stoked too when i heard its faster then ML and cheaper :)

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:08 pm

I will problbly get one shipped to Mexico my home and race wiht it in La Ventana this winter!

Return to “Kitesurfing”