Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Razor vs Naish Torch

Postby davesails7 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 am

I've flown friends' of mine 2011 9m torch and 2011 9m razor back to back in about 22 knots of wind. I liked both of them. C-kites have come a long way.

I thought the Torch turned faster, but I was jumping a little higher on the Razor. I'm guessing there are turning speed settings though.

Both worked very well for hooked in kiteloops. Nice smooth pull through the loop. I don't unhook much though, so can't comment on that.

One benefit of the razor is the price for a used one seems a lot less than torches. I couldn't believe the price he picked up his razors for!

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 am

I've found 2012 Razor 11m insane for unhooked riding, really can't go wrong with it. Hooked in jumps are also really nice with lots of float for a C kite, but I've found them less aggressive than other comparable kites.

In comparison I couldn't dial with Torch 2011 9m for unhooked riding, something just felt wrong and I always popped too late. I loved the hooked in jumps though, it sends you up like a rocket. I haven't found another kite with such nice fast lift.

Razor sits very deep in the wind window, so going upwind at first might feel hard before you get used to it. It also makes it turn a little slower compared to Torch, but still it is not a slow kite by any means.

I didn't drop Razor, so can't comment on relaunch, but my friend says that it relaunches like SLE kites. Torch relaunches fine if you use the 5th line.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:16 am

Just a little comment on the torch. There is a HUGE difference between the 2011 and 2012 Torch IMO. They took it from super aggressive to controllable aggressive..yeah I know I am not really riding the torch so much, but to me the 2012 was WAY WAY better for anything wave and TT riding.

ensor
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ensor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am

Thank you for your answers!!!

I have 2009 and 2010 Naish Torch models.I love the way they fly but I have quality issues with the leading edge.Maybe the 2012 or 2013 models have not any issues but I don't want to take the risk to buy again a new one.I want to buy a C kite which is similar to Torch.I got a ride with a 2010 11m Fuel and a 2012 7m fuel and I didn't like it.They "pull"a lot ,the bar pressure is a bit heavier than torch and the turning speed is slower(you have to give more input to the bar to turn the kite).The relaunch is much better because of the "fat" LE.
So I have to ride an airush razor but there is no wind yet

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:52 pm

ensor wrote:Thank you for your answers!!!

I have 2009 and 2010 Naish Torch models.I love the way they fly but I have quality issues with the leading edge.Maybe the 2012 or 2013 models have not any issues but I don't want to take the risk to buy again a new one.I want to buy a C kite which is similar to Torch.I got a ride with a 2010 11m Fuel and a 2012 7m fuel and I didn't like it.They "pull"a lot ,the bar pressure is a bit heavier than torch and the turning speed is slower(you have to give more input to the bar to turn the kite).The relaunch is much better because of the "fat" LE.
So I have to ride an airush razor but there is no wind yet
I guess if the 2011 or 2012 Torches had any quality flaws then the forum would be full with postings addresing that kind of issue.
It`s seems that this is only an assuption of yours .
Btw, I sold my 2009 after 2 years of abuse and the guy who is riding it still have fun on it w/o any probs or q issues...
Haven`t seen personally LE probs .Doesn`t mean that didn`t happen though.

L.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Torch 2011
2011 Torch was a bit of a dog by all accounts
quality issues with the leading edge
Had quality issues with the leading edge of all my Torches, 2007, 2008 and 2009 - alot of other have aswell. Mine blew out and I 've had to have them repaired and reinforced numerous times. My 2010 Torch hasn't had much use so no problems yet :thumb:

The trailing edges don't hold up well either, had a 2007 and 2009 that I had to bin because the trailing edge was knackered, although I must stress that both these kites were WELL used.

My friend has a set of 2011 (could be 2012 but don't think so) Torches and the trailing edges are f***ed - so bad he's had to have them reinforced, avarage use, I was certainly very surprised as I remember when he first got them which wasn't that long ago!!

Although saying this I still fly Torches and probably always will, but I don't kite anywhere as much as I used to so wear isn't a big issue for me as they don't get used alot so will last me a long time.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 pm

The trailing edge from 2011 on is made of dacron- are you sure?
Probably you mind the ripstop where connects to the TE....?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Yep, trailing edge was knackered. Needed new material stitched right along the edge approx 3" wide.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:12 pm

JGTR wrote:
Yep, trailing edge was knackered. Needed new material stitched right along the edge approx 3" wide.
Well I`m intrigued...
So, the dacron is worn out but the kite is in general ok?
Pls, if you don`t mind post some pics.I am very curious to see it...

L.

Return to “Kitesurfing”