Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2013 Slingshot Rally review

Postby knotwindy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:58 am

since the turning speed is the only complaint most people are seeing-

has anyone tried moving the attachment point on the wingtips back a bit towards the old setting to see if it returns some of the pivot turning?

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:24 am

There are no different attachment points on the 2013 Rally. What I do is take a longer bar than recommended. At the moment I use the bar from my 10m for the 8 and 6m as well. And I really like the improvement. I plan to prepare a 20 wide bar with 20m lines an think that might be great for the 8m. Maybe even for the 6m.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 am

hey SS why no other attachment points?
why just the one?

doesn't almost every other kite have more than one rear line attachment point?

and has anyone tried adding another one themselves?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:37 am

Or
moving the attachment point on the wingtips
=fold the kite ??

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

BWD wrote:Or
moving the attachment point on the wingtips
=fold the kite ??
are you asking or stating? as in have you or someone you know tried and it folded....
or just guessing or talked to the SS designer and he told you or....?

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:05 am

it has been done in germany. one guy modified a 14 and one a 12 i think. there are pics, too. and i think were both quite happy. http://surfforum.oase.com/showthread.php?t=124784

i prefer using a longer bar. simple and effective (at least with 8 and 6m)

TonyL
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TonyL » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Finally got to spend some time on the 2013 12m. I am 195lbs and currently have a 10m and 8m CB SB. I was riding a 12m Flysurfer Speed 3 for my 12 and sold it bc wanted a kite for surf and was always worried about dropping the foil in the water. Here are my impressions.

The first couple of sessions were in wind around 14 to 16 knots - flat water. Was able to stay upwind but nothing special from a jumping perspective, etc. Keep in mind - I am 195lbs. However, there were a few CB 12m's around me and it looks like the 12 m Rally has more low end than the CB. I was not working the kite as much.

Yesterday had a session in 18 knots with a little higher gusts - flat water with some chop. The kite came alive and has great jumping - hang time, etc. It felt similar to my CB SB's. I like the bar and lines - especially the swivel and the stopper. However, as mentioned before - the grip is rough.

I am a bit disappointed in the bar pressure - feels moderate to heavy. Not a huge deal but if you are looking for light bar pressure - this is not your kite.

Also - as everyone states - not a quick turning kite. You really need to crank the bar on the 12 for it to turn faster. Does not bother me bc I like to boost big and do spins which in my mind is
actually better to have a slower kite. We will see what happens when I get a wave session. I can also tell it is really stable and predictable.

Overall I am liking the kite the more time I spend on it and am happy with my purchase. I will post more results as I get some more sessions.

Tony

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Nice review Tony. I have had several sessions now on the 2013 14m Rally. I agree with you about the bar pressure. I thought it was pretty light at first but the more I used it it felt more moderate, slightly less than the Cabrinha SB. The turning complaints must be between the 2012 vs 13 Rally. It turns faster than my 2012 SB 14. Still , the SB feels like it has more grunt, but the Rally performs. I had one session in 15-20k with the kite depowered about 6in on the trim rope. Big floaty air! Very impressed!
I finally got the 10m Rally out in maybe 12-18k on a Sector 52. The thing I notice the most was when gibing the board I like to lean against the kite when switching my feet. In the lighter wind it just felt like there was no pull if i was going at the kite to much. The SB 10 even in light wind gave me the resistance I was use to. It's hard to explain,if you ride directionals you'll know what I mean(I think). The turning speed was excellent!
Much like the 14m, this was my first time on the 10m. It took me about 3-4 sessions on the 14 to really dial in the handling and feel. I'm sure the same thing will happen with the 10. I like that there are no pulleys on the kite. The bar and control system seem very good. I will keep my eye on the chicken loop.
I'm going to get an 8m to ride with my surfboard and Sector. I just love riding small kites using directionals.

superpak101
Medium Poster

Postby superpak101 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 pm

For you guys out there who have both CB SB and 2013 Rallys, can you tell me which of the two kites is the bigger hooked in jumper? Thx.

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 pm

I have a 10m and an 8m SB - 2010 models. I have a 12m - 2013 Rally. So I cant compare 12 for 12. I was out yesterday with riders on older 12 SB's and the 12 Rally was jumping as good. However - I got the Rally for a surf kite but wanted to maintain the jumping qualities. If I was looking for boosting only - tough to beat an SB. My 10 and 8 are huge boosting kites

Tony

Return to “Kitesurfing”