Forum for kitesurfers
northerner
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting Myanmar (Burma)?

Postby northerner » Sat May 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Great Lakes kiter here thats moving to Myanmar in july for two years to teach. I know the kitings good at spots in Thailand, Vietnam and other areas of SE asia, but can't find a thing on Myanmar. Going to be living in Yangon, but will have time to travel around Myanmar.
Anyone know anything of the kiting on the Bay of Bengal or the Andaman Sea. Any info would be appreciated.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 05, 2007 3:04 pm

I didn't hear much about it. Nothing listed on kitebeaches yet.

So I need your help when you go down there to uplaod some beach info and pictures.
Actually, it would be a great help for everyone of us!

Have a good time and let's see if someone already went there!

Greets
Toby

simplelife
Medium Poster

Postby simplelife » Sat May 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Northerner,

Ngapali beach is the only beach that i know of that might work. Things may have changed but its a chore to get there from Yangon. I don't know about kiting there but its probably the nicest and most user friendly beach to try. PM me for any further info if you like. I traveled in Burma for a month back in '03.

Cheers

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Sun May 06, 2007 6:38 am

besides the perils of getting caught up in their mini civil war, options are limited.

Hope you're not a USA citizen. if so don't expect to make many friends.

northerner
Rare Poster

Postby northerner » Sun May 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Yea Myanmar has some issues that makes not the most ideal place, It's also has some benefits. Lack of corporate Globalization and some of the largest tracks of undeveloped areas, beaches and land. I'm sure simplelife could expand on that. As for me being an American, I am, but remember Ral Inn your Prime Minster has stood with and supported our idiot cowboy president on his misguided adventures.

I'm familiar with Ngaplia beach but not sure on the wind. Seems like its a land that hasn't been fully dissected in terms of wind and water sports. Any one have any resources for wind readings in SE Asia and Myanmar?
Regardless I plan on finding a few great weekend places to ride.

simplelife
Medium Poster

Postby simplelife » Sun May 06, 2007 6:57 pm

Burma is a special place but obviously under the control of a horrific regime. I'm American and had no problems and didnt expect any-no reason to expect any trouble. Its actually one of the safer and friendlier countries to travel around in for some good and bad reasons. Its a predominantly Buddhist country of course, with some amazing scenary, most of which is either off limits or takes eons to get to. Most people would find it too challenging as a travel destination as it actually requires some planning and a bit of resilience. Debatable tourist location with the human rights issue. I'd like to return to teach or volunteer myself. Northerner, are you with an NGO?

I want to see that Myeik archipelago some day.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Sun May 06, 2007 11:11 pm

Sorry if my views of Myanmar are a bit tainted, having spent time with Northerner tribes in Thailand that were refugees from Burma.

they were constantly being raided from across the border by Burmese army, taking able bodied males to use as pack animals. when they couldn't carry anymore they were shot where they stood and a replacement found.

Still US dollars buys a lot in Burma. so don't bother exchanging your cash.

If some one asks where you are from, say Canada, you may be pleasantly surprised. not meant to hang it on the yanks but it's asia, and part of their culture now to distrust Americans. Also their only real ally is China, and they really have a lot of nice propaganda about the USA.

As for our PM, that short little prick arse licker is about the right height for Bush to make friends with.
Maybe when we ditch him he can get a diplomatic posting, perhaps ambassador to Texas.

No respect here for any government that that sends troops to a country to help one side in a civil war. Hello sounds like Vietnam revisited, the fuel of distrust.

As for kiting, Good luck and I hope you're in walking distance of a beach, and own a AK47.

mexicanshoes
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: wainmansss

Re: Kiting Myanmar (Burma)?

Postby mexicanshoes » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I have heard good thing from southern Burma during the southwest monsoon( june/july till September). Will soon post again with more info from thai expats having tried a few spots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”