Local Beach: Dubai
Style: Free
Gear: Dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Dyno 15 meters - No Power

Postby ahusseini » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 pm

I have tried the Dyno 15 meters in 8-10knot conditions and the kite keeps falling on its back or getting no power. Can anybody advice if it need calibration or if I am doing something wrong/?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: North Dyno 15 meters - No Power

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Are you flying it 4-line or 5-line?

If the 5th line is too tight could be a problem. The 5th line should have no tension on the Dyno.

If the kite is backstalling, that means the rear lines are too short.

If the turning is sluggish and no power, could be rear lines are too long.

On most kites, the rear lines and front lines should be the same length when the bar is pulled in all the way and the trim strap is at max power. Anyone know if that's true for the 2012 Dyno?

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 am

... I've had the same thing but with my 17m, no real power in its bottom end and can be oversheeted very easily. I was a bit disappointed so not too happy with that I attempted to adjust the bar settings to get a bit more out of it but when I use the same bar on my 18m Dyno, it wasn't right. I am disappointed in the 17m and I can't believe Ken would have made such a different kite to the older version but then I figured they designed it around the race board but it made it worse in my opinion for the weekend kiter. Now, I only use my 17m when the winds up but get my old 18m for the light stuff, not really ideal as the 17m was ment to be a light wind killer which it isn't!!

Any ideas would be great!

cheers,

Robbie :o .

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:39 am

I fly my 15 Dyno with the 4 line Trust bar and it's great in 8 10kts. The lines are equal length at full power. If it's backstalling put in some depower trim.
The kite seems extremely stable to me. Below 8 kts I can make it back stall and fly it backwards all the way to the ground, but let out the bar and it goes right back up. Flies like a foil in verylight wind.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 am

guys, pls put in your weight and board info...I guess that would be interesting to know as well...

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm

I don't know if this helps, but when I flew my mates 17m varial xr, I found that it flew much better in light wind completely depowered. That made the kite move faster therefore creating its own wind. It's the secret to light wind kiting regardless of kite size. Don't sheet in so much that it causes the kite to stall.

ahusseini
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dubai
Style: Free
Gear: Dyno

Postby ahusseini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 pm

I tried the kite with the quad 4 and the 5th line, still the same problems. When the winds got above 11 the problem disappeared. I guess the advertised 7 is not true, for a heavy rider (90kg). I also noticed that it delivers the power abruptly then stalls.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm

I am guessing the kite is high ar for racing, so you have to fly it with speed. until you get speed on the kite, it will not work properly..

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 pm

ahusseini wrote:I tried the kite with the quad 4 and the 5th line, still the same problems. When the winds got above 11 the problem disappeared. I guess the advertised 7 is not true, for a heavy rider (90kg). I also noticed that it delivers the power abruptly then stalls.
I think you simply choke the kite so it loses power !

In light wind, it is important to sheet out a bit - where many less experienced do the wrong thing - and pull the bar - and then you "choke" the kite - meaning you fly at an angle of attack where it has more drag, and less lift (power).

So keep it flying - a high AR kite like the Dyno can generate LOADS of power when flown fast !

When the wind picks up, one can fly it "normally" and easy - but at the lower end, one has to fly every kite very "delicate" with feeling - and it takes a long time if not used to that - but you will eventually learn - just keep going at it :naughty:

A kite has to "fly" (forward) quite fast, and is not a simple ineffective spinnaker or parachute - in light wind :thumb:

I actually prefer these kites for light wind, as kites like this with a more violent stall is typically much more efficient and low drag (higher AR and a profile with higher L/D). But of course more difficult to master.
The opposite type is low AR kites, that sits deep in the window - they are forgiving and easy to handle but not performing at all...

I assume you are on a big raceboard ?
As otherwise it makes no sense with 90 kg in 8 knots :(

:D Peter

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:38 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
ahusseini wrote:I tried the kite with the quad 4 and the 5th line, still the same problems. When the winds got above 11 the problem disappeared. I guess the advertised 7 is not true, for a heavy rider (90kg). I also noticed that it delivers the power abruptly then stalls.
I think you simply choke the kite so it loses power !

In light wind, it is important to sheet out a bit - where many less experienced do the wrong thing - and pull the bar - and then you "choke" the kite - meaning you fly at an angle of attack where it has more drag, and less lift (power).

So keep it flying - a high AR kite like the Dyno can generate LOADS of power when flown fast !

When the wind picks up, one can fly it "normally" and easy - but at the lower end, one has to fly every kite very "delicate" with feeling - and it takes a long time if not used to that - but you will eventually learn - just keep going at it :naughty:

A kite has to "fly" (forward) quite fast, and is not a simple ineffective spinnaker or parachute - in light wind :thumb:

I actually prefer these kites for light wind, as kites like this with a more violent stall is typically much more efficient and low drag (higher AR and a profile with higher L/D). But of course more difficult to master.
The opposite type is low AR kites, that sits deep in the window - they are forgiving and easy to handle but not performing at all...

I assume you are on a big raceboard ?
As otherwise it makes no sense with 90 kg in 8 knots :(

:D Peter
+1
Also, in light wind conditions you have to fly a huge arcing sweep to get a good start on a twintip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”