Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Switch kite pulls to the right?

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New Switch kite pulls to the right?

Postby markchatwin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm

My buddy unwrapped a 2012 Switch Element 13m and we hooked it up for him. Seemed pretty simple, we put it on the higher knot for lower wind since it was blowing about 13mph and he flew it first. From my eye on the beach it seemed to be pulling to the right. Since he is a beginner though I figured maybe he was just having difficulty.

I went out and flew it and it was pulling to the right. It seemed that the Blue (right) rear line was slacker than the Red. I put the kite down and moved the knot on the Red (left) rear line lower to loosen or lengthen the line and flew it. Still pulled to the right... Even when I compensated by pulling the left side of the bar down to put kite at 12:00 it still was pulling me to the right. Wind was steady and strong enough to keep kite in the air but still veering off right.

I downed the kite and did a very loose measurement of all the lines. My buddy held onto the bar and I stretched the lines out - 1st the steering lines then the front lines. All lines seemed to be the same length, factory knots were lined up. So then I hooked up the kite again with all lines on the same knot and still pulls to the right.

Feels like this kite is "bent" - could there be something in the manufacturing that has resulted in a odd-shaped canopy that is not receiving the wind correctly? Or is this that the lines are just wrong length and we have to do a more exacting measurement of factory lines to see if one got stretched out more than the other. I would think that such a new kite would be dialed in at least the first day.

When out yesterday with my buddy for a 2nd time and no matter how many times I thought I had adjusted the same length on the rear lines it pulls to the right??? I'm stumped...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: New Switch kite pulls to the right?

Postby edt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 pm

check for knot in bridle or debris in pulley

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Has thanked: 0

Postby bay surfer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Sounds like one or more of your lines are shorter than the others, attach the lines to a post or tree check the power lines they sould be the same length, and then the control lines. Might be both the powerline pair and the control pair are off.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm

bay surfer wrote:Sounds like one or more of your lines are shorter than the others, attach the lines to a post or tree check the power lines they sould be the same length, and then the control lines. Might be both the powerline pair and the control pair are off.
he already checked that bro

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Could be sewing, this has happened occasionally with kites from most brands. Back line length off a little usually is not so big a deal.
I would be more suspicious it could be a bridle issue though.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Fold the kite in half at center strut and check that bridles are same on both sides - also possible that metal slider (assuming kite has sliders like my 15E and not pulleys) is getting caught on the thicker end of slider line. Be sure to check the smaller bridles at the rear "corners".

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:13 pm

the first thing I would check it the LE bladder.

If he just pumped it up right out of the bag and not playing with the bladder the first time pumping it to get it seated in the right place it could pull to the right or left depending if the bladder has a tinny twist in it.

The easiest way to find this out is pump it up and set it leading Edge down , at the wing time on the leading edge you see one tip higher then the other. If so let the air out and pump it up half away and play with the leading edge from the center to the tips each way. pump it up alittle more do it again, then pump it up almost hard and do it again.

This will take the tinny twist out of it if this is the problem.

I have fixed a few brand new first time out of the bag kites from different brands also.

Let me know if this helps.

Good wind
Terrie

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Mark:
All the panels and pieces are computer cut in matched pairs and glued and sewn with tight seam allowances. An assembly error will result in them not fitting properly and show up in pre and post production QC inspections.

You can easily eliminate the bar as the cause by simply hooking up the kite with all the lines reversed (side-to-side - not front to back!) If it pulls the other way, it is the bar. :thumb:

The other possible causes are the bridle or a twist in the bladder.

Contact Switch Warranty/Service/Customer Service using any of the chat, skype, phone or email options and they will personally lead you through sorting it out.
Cheers!
markchatwin wrote:I'm stumped...

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:32 pm

markchatwin wrote:My buddy unwrapped a 2012 Switch Element 13m and we hooked it up for him. Seemed pretty simple, we put it on the higher knot for lower wind since it was blowing about 13mph and he flew it first. From my eye on the beach it seemed to be pulling to the right. Since he is a beginner though I figured maybe he was just having difficulty.

I went out and flew it and it was pulling to the right. It seemed that the Blue (right) rear line was slacker than the Red. I put the kite down and moved the knot on the Red (left) rear line lower to loosen or lengthen the line and flew it. Still pulled to the right... Even when I compensated by pulling the left side of the bar down to put kite at 12:00 it still was pulling me to the right. Wind was steady and strong enough to keep kite in the air but still veering off right.

I downed the kite and did a very loose measurement of all the lines. My buddy held onto the bar and I stretched the lines out - 1st the steering lines then the front lines. All lines seemed to be the same length, factory knots were lined up. So then I hooked up the kite again with all lines on the same knot and still pulls to the right.

Feels like this kite is "bent" - could there be something in the manufacturing that has resulted in a odd-shaped canopy that is not receiving the wind correctly? Or is this that the lines are just wrong length and we have to do a more exacting measurement of factory lines to see if one got stretched out more than the other. I would think that such a new kite would be dialed in at least the first day.

When out yesterday with my buddy for a 2nd time and no matter how many times I thought I had adjusted the same length on the rear lines it pulls to the right??? I'm stumped...
I think everyone buying a kite from Switchkites knows about their website and that they have several different sources/possibilities to contact them, and it will not taken longer than a day, that they will come back to you to help you out on this.
I see no reason why not to contact them in first place, but you see , you get an immediate reaction, even here from the designer of the kites...try to find this with the others...
Dude :cool2:

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Yes I'm impressed with the Switch response and honestly didn't know enough about their company to take it upon myself to call them. It is my buddy's kite and I will tell him to contact them. However he's a beginner and I felt I could help him out since I know a little bit more. My gut is that the bladder could be twisted. I feel in my gut the lines are the same length, the bridle seemed to be the same on each side (checked knots, pulleys and did a quick preliminary measurement) but I'll check again and especially I'll eliminate the bar as a suspect - Thanks everyone!

Return to “Kitesurfing”