Local Beach: I kite at Wildcat in Portland, TX
Style: intermediate
Gear: Core, Ozone, Crazyfly, Airfush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Core Riot 19m and Ozone Zephyr 17m comparison

Postby bobber » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I've been using a 17m Ozone Zephyr for the last year or so for light wind cruising. It has been a very good light wind kite for me. I recently picked up a 19m Core Riot. I've only got a couple of hours on it, but here is a bit of info for others who enjoy light wind Cruising.

Span (flat): Riot - 30' Zephyr - 28'4"
Width or chord at mid kite (flat): Riot - 7'6" Zephyr - 7'
Weight: Riot - 11lb. Zephyr - 10lb.
Note: all measurements are approximate

I rigged and then launched the Riot19 in the water. Wind was 7 to 9 kt as measured by a Sailflow station about 500 yards away. The kite easily rolled up onto a tip and launched. After launch, it was stable overhead. I kited on a Sector 60 and and a Flydoor XL and enjoyed the session. The Riot19 was smooth and very controllable. Compared to the Zephyr, it seemed to launch off the water a bit easier, provide a bit more power, and it did seem to turn a bit quicker. This is strictly a subjective observation as I did not have my Zephyr rigged for side by side comparison.

After a couple of hours, the wind built to 17 kt. I switched to a CrazyFly LW board which was the smallest board I had with me. The kite was controllable and I was still having fun, but then I'd never rig the Riot19 for anything over 10-12kt.

I'm 170 lbs and have been kiting a little over a year. I'm not a finesse guy so I need a big kite and a big board to get going in light air. Not a dealer, rep, or promoter - just a guy who likes to kite in anything from 8 to 30.

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Re: Core Riot 19m and Ozone Zephyr 17m comparison

Postby Rando1994 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:17 pm

rode a Zep for two years. Now have an 18 cabrinha LW. Loving it. Lighter bar pressure, better float, no hindenberging. Bar is more cluttered but works well. Would love to hear further comments on your 19m as it was on my short list...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 am

I'm interested in a giant tube too... be good to hear how the Cab 18 compares - not heard much about it at all...

bobber
Rare Poster

Postby bobber » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:57 pm

I was able to grab some video of the Core Riot 19 in 6-8 kts as measured by a Sailflow station about 500 yards away. The only way I can launch the kite in wind this light is to roll the kite on its back and then hot launch by pulling the front lines. Works OK in knee deep water but I think it would be difficult in deep water. I really like this kite for light wind work, and I prefer it to the Zephyr. It turns and handles well for its size. I started out on a Flydoor XL board to warm up a bit. I could hold my ground to windward, but it took a bit of finesse. After a while, the wind picked up to about 8-11 kts. I switched to a Sector V3 60. I was able to get upwind easily and I recorded a max gps speed of 23.5 mph when bearing off. Pretty entertaining to hit that kind of speed in light wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Ej1kf1_SY

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:59 pm

thanks for the info did this in march 2012

My wife tested the new Core Riot XR 19 :thumb:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 pm

+19 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nothing better for my wife and i who kitesurf in our backyard surf on strap surfboards

We both are experienced (13.5 and 10 years) and just know that if the wind is 8 knots we go EZ

I am 75kg/165lbs and on the 19XR2 LW.....she is 51kg/112lbs and on the 17XR2 LW

I have ridden the 19 when wind picked up up to 17 knots/20mph and was still in control

My wife rode her 17 when wind picked up to 15 knots/17 mph and was still in control

The Core 19 and 17 do it all for us in LW...amazing low end and top end ....if wind picks up

I will never claim that i go out in 6 knots or even 7 knots...(oh i have tried...but sining constantly)

I believe in modesty and honesty when it comes to LW claims...i talk about the wind "in the kite"

As a matter of fact the ideal wind speed to start having some fun...tricks..transitions..kiteloops
....is 9 knots (10.3mph).......i do not like BS of any kind :D

bobber
Rare Poster

Postby bobber » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:35 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
I will never claim that i go out in 6 knots or even 7 knots...(oh i have tried...but sining constantly)

I believe in modesty and honesty when it comes to LW claims...i talk about the wind "in the kite"

As a matter of fact the ideal wind speed to start having some fun...tricks..transitions..kiteloops
....is 9 knots (10.3mph).......i do not like BS of any kind :D
Supa, I don't know what the wind "in the kite" was, but I do know that the Sailflow station 500 yards away showed 6-8 kts. I'm not saying anything more that - just putting the info out there for those interested. I did have a session a while back where the wind built to 17kt as shown by the same Sailflow station. Although I would never rig the Core 19 for 17 kt, I was surprised that the kite was still manageable. I guess I should reiterate what I said in my first post: I'm 170 lbs and have been kiting a little over a year. Not a dealer, rep, or promoter - just a guy who likes to kite in anything from 8 to 30.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:49 am

I owned the 17 XR1 (not the new XR2) and I was quite happy with it. Now I switched to the new XR2 15 because I as soon as the wind was picking up (12-13 kn) I was in perfect control with the 17 but very very powered up, a sensation I don't like too much. I prefer a smoother riding with a right amount of power, not a constant truck-like pull. Also, the 15 is significantly faster. Said that, the 17 was a real light wind machine. I rode it with my Nobile flying carpet in 8-9 (steady and not less than 8!) knots and I was easily staying upwind. About relaunch, if it was, I repeat STEADY 8-9 no problem. If it was averaging 8, that mean 6/7 to 8/9, not so easy to get it ariborne again, must wait for a gust and far better with shallow water. In deep water I think you need not less than 9 steady knots to relaunch.
About the new 15, I did test it one or two times in poor conditions and without the 3 mts line extensions, so I don't want to report for the moment, I prefer to ride it some more times. As I wrote, it's for sure faster, turning seems more or less like a 12.
Core kites are generally speaking very good kites, quality is high, performaces very good and after sale service (here in Europe) the best you can imagine. I own 3 XR, 7-11 a new XR215 LW.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Hello Bobber....i really liked your original post...very very good...and there was zero BS

When i talked about LW BS i had INF owner on my mind and not you at all...i am 100% with you !

Keep those positive and true XR2 LW 's posts coming :thumb:

I am not a dealer..but passionate about the truth about LW...nothing to prove to people..no videos

My wind speed estimates in the kite are the results of many decades of experience in sub 10kn

Keep having fun with the most powerful and fast for it's size kite..... that you now own :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”