Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Dyno 15 meters - No Power

Postby Puetz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:29 am

G'day again,

I actually I ment to say in my previous reply that I do indeed depower the 17m when riding in light winds then fully power up when it picks up and start to depower again when it picks up even more. I used to do this with my old kites years ago.

I assume that the kite is aimed at race boards so performs with big directionals where the kite can ride right up at the edge of the window but when you combine it with a twin tip with the extra drag, the kite flys well forward and looses power so you pull the bar to get that bit more and you upset the balance. The old Dyno did this easily and kept pulling, easy as!

I was racing my buddy and usually could hold my own upwind, reaches etc when I used the 18m and Sector. When I take my 17m, he pulls away from me on the upwind legs and evenly matched on reaches. My buddy is on a Sector and 16m Dyno. Grabbed the 18m again and it was even again.

Looks like for me to get the best out of the 17m, I'm gunna have to change my style. I don't mind the kite in strong winds but it isn't as fun as the 18m. I really wanted it to be better but in my opinion it isn't.

cheers,

Robbie :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:20 am

Hmmm - maybe the new Dyno HAS less power then ?

So a bigger kite is required for the same power now - but maybe it will give better upwind angle (higher L/D is easier obtainable at slightly lower camber) and/or bigger range ?
I dont know - just a thought :roll:

:D Peter

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:04 pm

They should come out with a Dyno that has more power than the 18 had

In other words in this day and age of technology ...what not just create a.... DYNO19 ?

Why should Core be the only company with a modern kite of that SIZE??

Why stop at size17 for most manufacturers (Cabrinha has 18)....are we wimps and can't hold on?

Not everyone want to ride raceboards to get the most out of their smallish ribbon like high AR kites

Power rules in LW.....and yes size matters....simple physics

...................... :surf: :sun: .......................................................................................................

bsideindy
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby bsideindy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm

It seems like a very bad decision if it is true that North optimized the Dyno 2012 for racing. what percentage of kiters out there even care about racing? Or how many own a raceboard? maybe they have Olympic dreams in mind. If this is the case, at least change the marketing on the North website.

seems so stupid to me. they would sell more kites if they went the Fat Lady route. I know different kite style, but everyone that tries one loves it in light wind.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:23 pm

bsideindy wrote:It seems like a very bad decision if it is true that North optimized the Dyno 2012 for racing. what percentage of kiters out there even care about racing? Or how many own a raceboard? maybe they have Olympic dreams in mind. If this is the case, at least change the marketing on the North website.

seems so stupid to me. they would sell more kites if they went the Fat Lady route. I know different kite style, but everyone that tries one loves it in light wind.
Yeah..i have been saying this for a while now.....

North needs to come out with a brand new additional kite specific for LW...and keep Dyno for racers

........................................ :surf: :sun: .........................................................

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:16 pm

The 2012 Dyno seems to be tuned out of the bag for our racers who seem to like the kite a little oversheeted compared to freeriders. This can easily be tuned out by extending the outside lines using the knots at the end of the bar... Just extend them by one knot. The same effect can be had by pulling the depower a couple inches. Personally I noticed this effect more on the smaller Dynos (which are more race-oriented) than the larger ones (which are more lightwind/freeride/all-around oriented).

I agree that the more the Dyno becomes a race kite vs a freeride kite, the more we need a separate lightwind kite, however for 2012 the 15 and 17 are more designed for freeride/all-around lightwind use than the 10 and 13. And from feedback at demos/from dealers/customers, all I've heard is that that 15 is pretty much as powerful as the 2011 16, and the 17 is pretty much as powerful as the 2011 18, but that both sizes for 2012 offer better high end and quicker turning than the 2011s, so if you're not getting good low end out of the 2011 15m, I'd recommend tuning your bar.

-Dan

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:
I agree that the more the Dyno becomes a race kite vs a freeride kite, the more we need a separate lightwind kite

-Dan
I like what i hear......and for the many LW Freeriders / Surfriders like me..let's get to work on that asap

............................................. :surf: :sun: .............................................................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”