Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is there a single best design of Control bar?

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Is there a single best design of Control bar?

Postby ed257 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:59 pm

In terms of emergency flagging out the kite, how are most new 4-line bars set up?

1. Flag out on one front-line
2. Flag out on both front-lines
3. Flag out on on rear line

Which of these approaches works the best?

Does it depend on the type of kite?

I have seen some kites flagged where they spun uncontrollably (presumably flagged on one line). If the lines do get spun up the twisting can lock them into each other so that no further depower or flagging is possible.

E

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildDuke » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 pm

I LOVE these kinds of topics as kite bars have been one of the biggest gripes that I've had with kiteboarding, but I feel that I am FINALLY getting to know what I like and I dont. Amazingly I completely agree with edt.

I have just bought a 2011 North Trust quad bar for my Airush VX and I love it!! I chose the 2011 model because it has the ability to add a microloop, but the 2012 bar is a horrible grey colour. I like the black white and clearly visible red colour of the 2011 bar. The only think that is bugging me is the mini fifth line is really loose, I wish there was a bungy line attached to the top of it so when you depower the front lines, the bungy pulls the red mini fifth line tight.

BUT...

I think I will need 2 bars, because I LOVE the slingshot front line setup and swivel. SO, SO, good for freestyle because the swivel works! but I dont like the heavy solid bar. Just so I'm clear, the swivel is not maintenance free. It does need lube and a good rinsing after each saltwater use and it only really works when there is good front line tension. If you are wave riding with low front line tension, it doesnt work as well. I dont care about under or over bar depower. I only set mine once or at most twice a session, so its no biggie for me. So i'm going to get a slingshot bar and change it with maybe a F-one airlite bar. I will have to paint red on one side however.

The Joe talks about cutting down bars, but I haven't formed my opinion on whether I like shorter or longer bars. Its a whole other conversation as to which it better. Definitely for a travelling perspective a shorter bar is GOLD!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:07 am

5 line can be a pain but nothing has been better for releasing a kite in super high winds than a 5th line from leading edge to leash - like having someone in sky grabbing leading edge just where u want!

I have released once in many years of kiting and had the depower system jam on a line and spin with 5th so anything can happen, seen it happen with pullies and bridle kites 100s of times, at least some of the companies are becoming more aware and careful bridles are not too long now days.

There are still some sketchy bar and lines in 2013! crazy..

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:04 am

WildDuke wrote: I like shorter or longer bars. Its a whole other conversation as to which it better.
I think bar size is almost completely related to how they tune the kite at the factory. If you have a large slow turning kite like an old 20m c kite you need a long bar 55cm, and if you have a really twitchy small kite that is trying to kill you like a 7m hybrid c kite you need a 45cm bar.

But for most kites, the bar size is just something you automatically adjust for placing your hands wider or closer together so usually the 55cm bar will work.

Of course North is the best here, you can move the leaders in and out to change the bar width in a few seconds at the launch by moving the leader to the other hole, so you have both a 46cm and 55cm bar in one.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:40 am

edt wrote:
WildDuke wrote: I like shorter or longer bars. Its a whole other conversation as to which it better.
I think bar size is almost completely related to how they tune the kite at the factory. If you have a large slow turning kite like an old 20m c kite you need a long bar 55cm, and if you have a really twitchy small kite that is trying to kill you like a 7m hybrid c kite you need a 45cm bar.

But for most kites, the bar size is just something you automatically adjust for placing your hands wider or closer together so usually the 55cm bar will work.

Of course North is the best here, you can move the leaders in and out to change the bar width in a few seconds at the launch by moving the leader to the other hole, so you have both a 46cm and 55cm bar in one.
Like I said before this topic is purely subjective.

When I cut a bar down it is to 36cm and the north bar just does not go that far. I'm sure if people actually tried a cut down bar they would probably like it a lot. Lets face it most people would never do it for many different reasons.

The only place you don't want a short bar from my experience is doing powerful kite loops. You just don't have enough leverage to get the kite all the way around to catch you. I learned that with a 7m delta in 30kts the hard way.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Good topic. So many topics on kite performance, not to many on bars. Some questions....
1. Aside from North users, now many use the bar that came their kite?
2. Why doesn't any company just focus/sell bars? Might be easier to patent than kites.
3. Are the bars made in China too? If not, even more incentive to make bars only.
4. Companies change/tweak kites every year, sometimes major overhauls or completely new designs. Bars, not so much. Usually just an added swivel or flag line. Must be because of the difficulty/expense on making different prototypes. More incentive to corner the market in bars.
5. Bars are getting close $500 and you can't kite without one. So, we are kinda screwed here, especially if you fly North. Not bashing North, they are actually clever on this(most expensive bar on the market) But, this might also bite em the ass in the long run. Especially if someone comes up with a solid, functional, and safe universal bar that we can afford.

Return to “Kitesurfing”