Elephant legs wetsuits

Forum for kitesurfers
JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elephant legs wetsuits

Postby JMF » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 am

Straps or Duct tape and just punch some vent holes at the back of the legs for water to escape if water does someone how make it past the straps or from the neck down. I think the industry term is Aquaflush :roll:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 am

4mylifetime wrote:Read on a forum about a month ago and tried it and it works beautifully!

Use a soldering iron and with the flat tip vertical I came up about 3" on back side of leg and with hot iron pushed it through the suit and back out. This seals the neoprene from running or splitting. It puts about a 1/2 " split that is closed except when water gets in. I have not had the problem since and no issues with getting cold.
This.

Finally pulled finger, got out my soldering iron and put some holes in my long suit. I use wrist and ankle straps (not perfect, still get water blasted up) so I put the holes about an inch above where I put the straps, about an inch between them because OCD.

Used a pointed soldering iron, pushed it through from the inside (suit was inside out) so the hole was about 3mm diameter inside, about 1.5 on the outside and 4 inches up from the bottom.

Works perfect. Happy.

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa
Has thanked: 0

Postby el_guestos » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 am

I use straps...more recently bought a neilpryde wetsuit which comes with anti elephant vents...please all wetsuit manufacturers beg, borrow or steal this idea!!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:26 am

problem solved :)

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:50 am

:Best solution" move to Boca Raton you don't need a wetsuit unless you're a wuss :D kiteloops also work. I use the velcro straps and they do work

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Using "Aquaflush" holes - wont that make the suit colder when its winther and cold ?

I have never had any problems, when using velcro straps.

But also waveriding somewhat more than freestyling - so that might be the reason I never get dragged head first in the water with speed.

As one must assume this is how "elephant" legs emerges ?

But when out in close to 0 degree water (32 F) I would nok like to have made even small holes in my wetsuit :x

Riding without velcro straps wont work - as then it is only a matter of time before your suit will "fold" up on your lower leg and be a pain in the ass :(

So if you make aquaflush holes, because of a lot of "head first" plunges - you need a warmer suit without holes for the winther I think ?

:D Peter

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:25 pm

airsurfer wrote::Best solution" move to Boca Raton you don't need a wetsuit unless you're a wuss :D kiteloops also work. I use the velcro straps and they do work
Shut up I wore my 3/2 full suit for like 3 months last season lol

kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school

Postby kite_crazy66 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Check out the picture. I had a similar problem with my 4.3 Rip Curl Flash Bomb.

I ended up cutting the wetsuit halfway up my shin (right below the key zipper) and it works great now. In this picture the left leg looks like the wetsuit is already cut, but the wetsuit just slid up from splashed water.
Attachments
bladetour-162.jpg

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:02 am

You can do few things to avoid having ELEPHANT legs.
The easiest thing will be to go naked.
The next easiest thing will be to use Velcro Straps or Duct tape and place them at the ankles and make 2 small holes of the size of a dime with some scissors just above the Velcro Straps or Duct tape you just made.
Some of the wet suits companies already have these holes at the bottom of their wet suits. They call it: Aquaflush.
The other choice will be to cut the bottoms from bellow the knees. I do this on my 5/4 and 4/3 wet suits some times.
Attachments
Elephant legs.jpg
Who needs wet suits.jpg
Hyperflex wet suits.JPG
cut legs off.jpg

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45

Postby onein5 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm

In the summer and Autumn this suit works great for me https://www.kingofwatersports.com/item. ... 27127.html and then in the winter and spring I just tuck my suit into my boots (opposite to when I paddle surf) which stops the upblast really well. Haven’t had to worry about the elephant legs for a whole year with this system.

Return to “Kitesurfing”