'12 16m Cabrinha Crossbow LW
'11 Spleene HTL Monster Door
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hatteras rules have changed

Postby 4mylifetime » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Everyone:

I just returned from Cape Hatteras outer banks NC the week before last and since April when I was there, the rules have changed for kiteboarding and windsurfing. See the attached document for the locations.

I understood from a local IKO instructor the reason was the Triple S event this summer snarled the traffic on the federal highway and as a result these changes resulted. (1, 2, 3 for sure but not sure on 4, 5, and 6 why those changed)

1) you can no longer kite at the Canadian Hole
2) you can no longer windsurf at Kite Point
3) there is no parking signs located from the above to the Buxton Slicks (17, 19, 20 and 21)
4) you can no longer drive in to the beach on the turnouts unless you have a 10 day driving on the beach pass
5) you must stay 150 ft or 45 m away from power lines
6) you must stay 300 ft or 90 m away from piers and surf fishermen

For anyone travelling there be aware of the these new rules for all.
Attachments
Hatteras Outer Banks.jpg

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Hatteras rules have changed

Postby BWD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Lots of things in the post above seem odd..
For one thing, the only USCG determination of vessel status for kiters I know of applies only to kiteboards outside the areas they normally operate, namely the surf and swimming areas (such as the shallow water of pamlico sound). So theoretically, if you want to ride miles down a river or out in the ocean, you may be subject to regulation.
Also, the determination is rather vague and applied to a river, not the ocean, and has never been litigated.

So to say the least, the float plan you attached is confusing and probably misleading.
It seems to mix misunderstood USCG findings with advice of some iko guy and perhaps some park service rules...?
Can you clarify?
Is it from some USCGA volunteer?
Who might work in a kite shop?
AND/OR Did someone just slap a USCGA logo on it?
Do tell....

4mylifetime
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga Beach Allenwood
Wasaga Beach Beach 5
Sauble Beach Oliphant
Lake Simcoe Beaches
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Style: Freestyle
Gear: '13 9m Core XR3
'13 13.5m Core XR3
'13 19m Core XR3 LW
'12 9m Cabrinha Crossbow LW
'12 13m Cabrinha Crossbow LW
'12 16m Cabrinha Crossbow LW
'11 Spleene HTL Monster Door

Postby 4mylifetime » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 am

Here is a website link to the off road rules.
http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/o ... le-use.htm

Here is a link from the fishing crowd that pretty well explains the signs.
http://fishmilitia.com/forums/showthrea ... adian-Hole

And from the windsurfing crowd.
http://www.surfingmagazine.com/news/out ... ng-072408/

Yup the no parking signs are for real and $125 to boot!
The 10 day off road permit is $50.

bscall
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Great South Bay
Style: freestyle
Gear: 2009 BEST HP Nemisis 8/10/14

Postby bscall » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 pm

As a full time resident of Hatteras I would like to point out one major issue with this post. It is not the Real Triple S fault that KP and Canadian hole have the issues now. The parking regulations were put up long before the event ever happened.
The issues is that everyone comes to town on there yearly pilgrimage and forgets to think about others or local rules. People line the street with huge busses and vans parking so close to the beach entrances that you cannot see the road safely as you are pulling out. Then if you do drive in the beach people have there kites all over the place leaving no room to drive through. "It is a road people" Yes it is on the sand but you must leave a way through in both directions and you must not park near the entrance so close that peoples lives are at risk pulling out.

The police and park service have asked people to do these things for years and know body listened so this is what we get. I cannot tell you how many times I have waited for people to move kites out of the way while I try top get to my spot. Or how many accidents have happened because so idiot parked his converted van right on the street edge as close to the beach access spot so that you inch out a tiny bit just to try and see around.

As for the CG form. That is not new at all, It is a suggested map for kite boarders and windsurfers that is kindly put out by the aux. Coast Guard with the help of local kite shops to form some sort of guide for all the clueless visitors who end up getting rescued here because they went to a bad location or a dangerous one for that fact.

Bottom line is there are plenty of places on this islands to kite. Safe and open areas but as long as people stop using common sense and keeping there kites away from power lines and other hard objects and people stop parking in stupid areas that cause accidents because they wanted to park there cool makeshift travel van as near the action as possible then rules will continue to be made to make things harder.

For all those who are coming to our great island please do us a favor. Remember that this is someones local spot too. Act as if it was your own and protect it. Imagine if we came to your home town and caused rules to be put in place that affected you? That would suck!!!!!!!!!!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 am

Thanks to both of you for adding some detail and clarity,
and for the idea of posting the info in the first place.
Lets be thankful the more extreme options discussed recently aren't in place... ...yet.
And avoid further regulations if we can.

Return to “Kitesurfing”