Forum for kitesurfers
Brock Landers
Rare Poster
Style: Sky high
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite looping?

Postby Brock Landers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 am

I hear people talk all the time about kite looping but I hear different kite loop terms used for the same type of loop.

Is there a definitive source that CLEARLY defines the different types of kite loops?

If I am edging downwind (assuming it is an on-shore wind) then the beach is to my right side. If I send the kite to 1 o'clock and boost and then loop the kite TO THE RIGHT and transition my kite and landing in the opposite direction I was traveling then what type of kite loop is this? I have heard it called a back loop, a down loop, and a mega loop. One move can't be 3 separate things. Which is it?

When I am edging down wind and send the kite to 1 to boost and then loop the kite in the SAME direction of travel what type of kite loop is this? A down loop, a standard kite loop, what exactly? I have heard this type of loop called different things as well.

If I am edging down wind and I send the kite to 1 and boost and loop the kite in the opposite direction (to the right) but land still traveling in the same direction then what type of loop is this?

EDIT: I have also seen videos with descriptions that are confusing too. Same as what I am referencing above. There are videos that say "Back loop" and it is not even a kite loop but is someone doing a back roll. Maybe there is a difference in terminology dependent upon your country but this is why I am asking.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite looping?

Postby JGTR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:45 am

Kite goes over the top first it's a kiteloop
Kite goes round the bottom first its a down loop
Looping the kite to give you a soft landing after a jump is sometimes referred to as a heli-loop
Mega loop is a huge kiteloop

Backloop=backroll, yes different terminology

Is there a definate source that clearly defines trick names = NO

aircatcher
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby aircatcher » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 am

...and what d'you call the the kiteloop below your feet? ...cannonball loop? or no name yet?brace yourself and prepare for a smash landing.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 am

aircatcher wrote:...and what d'you call the the kiteloop below your feet? ...cannonball loop? or no name yet?brace yourself and prepare for a smash landing.
It's called "Psycho Kiteloop", see the video that confirms the term :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmXCbQWA ... re=related

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 am

Just a kiteloop!

dorothyinstead
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caloundra, Happy Valley.
Favorite Beaches: Bulcock Beach @ Happy Valley in Caloundra
Style: Freestyle

Postby dorothyinstead » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:08 am

JGTR wrote: Looping the kite to give you a soft landing after a jump is sometimes referred to as a heli-loop

Can anyone please describe this type of loop with detail. I would like to pull the trigger on a loop during a jump but have not had the courage to do so. Any help via written instructions will be highly appreciated.

giBiLatoR
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wellington Point, Brisbane, QLD Australia.
Style: Face first - Anything with a kiteloop
Gear: 2x 2012 Epic Screamer LTD 10m
2012 Epic Screamer 7m
2010 Naish Torch 12M
Mystic Warrior III
F-One Acid IV 130x39 (50mm fins)
Underground Steeze 136 w/ Cab Sync bindings (30mm fins)
Underground Crypt 132x40 (30mm fins)

Postby giBiLatoR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 am

dorothyinstead wrote:
JGTR wrote: Looping the kite to give you a soft landing after a jump is sometimes referred to as a heli-loop

Can anyone please describe this type of loop with detail. I would like to pull the trigger on a loop during a jump but have not had the courage to do so. Any help via written instructions will be highly appreciated.
This is not the way to learn loops!

Start with down looping transitions to variations of the downloop (i.e. frontroll DL transition). Then move onto a simple kiteloop be it a backroll kiteloop or even just do a small jump with the kite at 12 then pull hard on the backhand on the way down, this way the kite will still be coming around when you hit the water and won't drop you as hard.

After this you will know what you want to learn. I learnt darkslides and handplant kiteloops next but could go straight for a helo-loop or a megaloop. The helo loop requires a great deal of timing and is used on large jumps (im talking I only bother with 8m+ on my c4) or possibly less with a smaller kite they can be brutal if you loop too late, and drop you hard if your too early.

If you want to mega loop then pull the trigger and don't back out. Be well powered and loop on the way up, pay attention to if your kite is stalling as it is coming through the last section of the loop as it may be oversheeted, bar out a bit then be prepared to continue looping to land or bring the kite over in the opposite direction to the loop to get the kite ahead of you again. These are the most dangerous to learn obviously as you can free fall from great heights or even worse bail through looping and expect serious pain from that one!!

This is coming from a relative beginner at kitelooping but I do have them pretty well dialled I like to think :) Pick at this all you like people :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Pull with the back hand, back loop.

Pull with the forward hand, down loop.

Pull before you it the zenith, either way is a proper kiteloop. That's how I understand it anyhow. Jump big and do this a megaloop.

joandani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona)
Style: Old School / New School / Surf strapless
Gear: Naish Torchs 12 /9 2010
Airush Razor 7m
Slingshot Fuel 5m
Clash 136

Postby joandani » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 pm

In my opinion, the heli-loop (or downloop reception) is the easiest one, start with this one. And after take a 7m, and 22-25 knots, and start doing little kiteloops, after u will like to be in 30 knots or more to do strong kiteloops.

For heli-loop, i have a video of mine doing one in a basic jump with the torch 9m. https://vimeo.com/51991273 (sorry, i cant put the video turned 90º :( )

You can do the heli-loop in a second loop to nail a normal kiteloop like in this other video of mine in leucate : https://vimeo.com/47453911

I hope this will help u.
Cheers!

JD

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 pm

To learn to kiteloop start without jumping.

Ride along, come off your edge heading downwind and loop kite. All that will happen is you get pulled downwind, no problemo, get used to doing these then start edging a bit more and then small jumps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”