5M kite ridiculously fast with 19M lines

Forum for kitesurfers
mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

5M kite ridiculously fast with 19M lines

Postby mogthedog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:22 am

I have never used 19M lines before and 1st used it with my 2012 5M North Neo, all I can say is that the kite was so ridiculously fast that it took me a good half an hour to get dialed into it. before I could carve round on my surfboard the kite would already be at the other end of the wind window.

My question is: does anyone else use a 5M kite on such short lines, or should I use longer lines with such a small kite to slow the kite down a bit.
Just wondering. :?:

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Has thanked: 0

Re: 5M kite ridiculously fast with 19M lines

Postby flybykite » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:34 am

I think short lines on small kites sub 9m are the way to go but I usually ride TT's powered up. Once theres enough wind to create drag and bow 25m lines (normally around 30 kts) then I like the short lines for better response and feel.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 am

It's a 5m kite on 19m lines, that is going to be like flying a bumble bee!

can you change the pig tail settings to slow the kite down?

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm

mogthedog wrote:I have never used 19M lines before and 1st used it with my 2012 5M North Neo, all I can say is that the kite was so ridiculously fast that it took me a good half an hour to get dialed into it. before I could carve round on my surfboard the kite would already be at the other end of the wind window.

My question is: does anyone else use a 5M kite on such short lines, or should I use longer lines with such a small kite to slow the kite down a bit.
Just wondering. :?:
I ride short lines on little kite any time I can. I love the quickness. It's all about practice, if you felt like in just a half hour you had it dialed imagine how sweet it will be after a few more sessions....Some folks use the small bar setting on the north bar, I just leave the bar on the longer setting and give it less input with my hands centered..

And if you like kite loops...short lines rule!

mogthedog
Medium Poster
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard

Postby mogthedog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Cheers for the replys guys, I think the problem was that it was the 1st time I had flown 19M lines and to do it with a 5M kite took me by surprise,
I have only ridden 24M and 32M lines before with kites upto 18M.
Will Certainly persist with the short lines Billy B, cheers for the advice.. :D

Another question, do you find a lack of power when riding short lines as opposed to longer lines? what are your thoughts..?

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Here is some North PR right of the website, I think it is a good discripsion of line lengths.

http://www.northkites.com/products/bars/5th-element/

With little kite One of the nicer points is that you can,t over fly the kite through the edge into a position of instability as easly with short lines, some thing many riders have issues with when flying smaller kites, Mostly during transions.. Kite rips through window penatrates through the edge and has no power....then you have a surge of power when you correct the kites position and have to fight to remain in balance.

Short lines do rob power not only from the stroke length but also becuase the kite cant sit as high were there may be more wind. Some days a line length change can save you from pumping up another kite size. I have been flying from 15m to 40m lines for years and am stoked to see more companys offering different line length.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

mogthedog wrote:Cheers for the replys guys, I think the problem was that it was the 1st time I had flown 19M lines and to do it with a 5M kite took me by surprise,
I have only ridden 24M and 32M lines before with kites upto 18M.
Will Certainly persist with the short lines Billy B, cheers for the advice.. :D

Another question, do you find a lack of power when riding short lines as opposed to longer lines? what are your thoughts..?
Kites do not get power from line length! The power is the same from 5m to 50m lines. The difference is your power stroke and apparent wind that can be generated. A kite is a foil and generates lift from air moving over it which is where you get the power from. Lines only create drag the shorter the line the less drag the longer the line more drag. Increased drag on your lines will feel like you have more power and increase the time it takes for the kite to fly the edge of the window. On top of that a small kite is all ways going to move faster from the increased wind speed all so.

With all that said I love short lines 17m with a 7m kite. We just don't get the winds for my heavy frame to warrant a 5m. Now if I lived some where it blew over 35 regularly I'd be all over it.

mogthedog
Medium Poster

Postby mogthedog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 am

Cheers Billy B and the Joe, some very informative stuff there,
I usually fly 2012 Evos 7M & 10M, but my 5 is a Neo, I don't think the Neo has the same "grunt" in it as the Evo? which probably didn't help.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Shorter lines dont make the kite faster.

But of course it reaches the edge of the window faster - VERY important difference.

19m lines i fine for most conditons I think, for a small kite.

I dont like short lines myself - as the kite tends to be way too sensitive in waves, so you dont get the same consistent pull but an on/off very uncomfortable ride :o

You can always depower a good wavekite (not if a C kite though...), so no problem there - but you can never get the consistent pull you want when going out f.ex, with short lines - as the wind are typically sideshore and gusty, besides lee and turbulence from big waves in the impact zone.

So I just use 20-22m lines for all my sizes nowadays, in waves - and only for super light wind I might use 30m but not waves of course - but I dont like shorter lines for the 5 or 6 or 7m2, as the wind is often even more gusty when blowing.

Others DO like 18m lines in waves, so very personal.
And also kite specific - some kites can not depower as much, so a lot of the mainstream SLE kites need shorter lines when riding waves in high winds, as they would otherwise pull to much and too long when flown deep and across the window going down the line :x

Other kites can depower sufficient - so you can use normal (and more efficient/more range) lines.

The Evo can not depower much, so shorter lines needed in high winds, to be "comfortable" in waves.

The Neo is more a real wavekite, and depowers good, so you can use more standard like lines with the advantages it gives you because it will smooth out the wind gusts so you can focus on the waveriding and not the pull :thumb:

Because it is so kite specific - and depending on conditions and what you do and how you ride - I think we see so many opposite opinions about "short lines" in a forum like this :roll:

Also - it takes a lot of time "getting used to" - as short lines has this on/off feeling, that some can adapt to, others dont want it.

For flat water I have no idea whatsoever - as I dont have flat water when normal winds (small kites), and only ride flat water extremely rare (in 10 knots with a big 12m2 kite) :wink:

:D Peter

Brock Landers
Rare Poster
Style: Sky high

Postby Brock Landers » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 am

Anyone know a reputable source who sells short lines of varying lengths?

Return to “Kitesurfing”