Forum for kitesurfers
kiteguy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is there such thing as a board to big to kite

Postby kiteguy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:26 pm

I want my surfboard to kite on and surf on. I'm 6'2" & 210 lbs how big should I make my surfboard. Is there such thing as too big?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Is there such thing as a board to big to kite

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 pm

I think the Firewire website has a calculator - put in your height and weight, it'll give you volumes and lengths of boards that'd be suitable.

If Dimitri can ride a SUP then I think there's no upper limit :lol:

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Rode my 14foot glide carbon sup the other and it was a blast.
Of course i will not be doing big moves with it, but size will not hamper the fact that you can ride it.
what you want to know is what winds and moves you want to pull on it. that will decide the size more than anything else.
N

Vikb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nihtnat, Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Vikb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:08 pm

I would get the smallest board you can surf on. Don't worry about the kite. Any board you can paddle in to a wave will work under kite power. The smaller the board the more maneuverable it will be which will be fun under the kite.

I'm 180lbs and the board in my quiver I would paddle into a wave is 6'2", but the boards I like for kiting are 5'3"-5'8".

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:50 pm

When you are bumping up into the Clydesdale class (210 lbs and up) you have to use what works for you. None of the advice for me (240 lbs) from anyone below 210 lbs has worked. If the wind you kite in is PERFECTLY consistent, no lulls etc, then you might get away with shorter less volume boards. My most used Surfoard is 6 ft 5, 23 ins wide and 3 inches thick. LOVE IT!! When you are our size you can hold down boards and kites easily. :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Too big ? - yes, definitely there is something "too big".

But then we are talking about windsurf size boards with low rocker - as they dont work at all and can not be ridden even if you wanted to :o

Only the smallest windsurf waveboards (without straps or straps moved forward) can be used for light wind if one wants (but boring).

SUP boards can be used too - also a size that CAN be ridden, but not much fun because you have to balance on the board, instead of using board control/steering to hold your balance.

If you are talking about surf board sizes, then the answer is NO, it can not be too big.

5'5 or 6 or 7 foot - they all work easy and great, if you just want to "kitesurf" :naughty:

Although, for riding waves, it is a very different matter, and here size and width means EVERYTHING, and gets too big very fast !

So a wide 7 foot board wont work whatsoever IMO, if you want to ride waves (unless you are 150 kg) :x

But for kitesurfing, or riding in light wind - easy and no problem whatsoever with 7-8 feet boards :thumb:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 pm

IMO there is definitely too big...but it also comes down to taste. I've been riding a 4'8'' lately and I'm not skinny. When I take out bigger boards, they feel heavy and too long. Personally when I took out my 7'' board it was WAY WAY too big. So much board to turn.

Now for any waves bigger than head high I start turning to my bigger boards....the 5'4'' skater and I'm going to get the new 5'9'' skater..the new outline looks fantastic, and probably the 5'8'' Naish global. You do weight a bit more than me, but not much.

I would look for something a little wider fatter and not extremely long..the skater line is good for that. I would also not try to get a board for both surfing and kiting, unless you are prepared to make some compromises in both areas.

There are a few shapes I am looking at that are primarily surfboards, but to get them I'd have to get them glassed heavy..which makes them not great for surfing.

Either way. Get a surfboard for surfing, and a kiteboard for kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”