Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to set up Wainman Rabbits for Tight Turning?

Forum for kitesurfers
stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How to set up Wainman Rabbits for Tight Turning?

Postby stevet25 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi - I have just switched from Eclipse Kimas to the Wainman Rabbits (9, 7.5,5) and generally having a lot of fun. I am however struggling a bit to replicate throwing the kite from 9 `0`clock to 3`0`clock ( and vice versa) when doing top/bottom turns without the kite climbing higher in the window and getting a bit powered up. So I guess I`m looking for a more pivot than arcing turn - the problem for me is most pronounced on the 5. I am on fast/downwind settings and am generally in cross/onshore conditions. I am still pretty new to the kites so it may all be about getting use to something new, but if anyone has any pointers I am would be delighted to learn from their experiences!

cheers

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: How to set up Wainman Rabbits for Tight Turning?

Postby TheJoe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:05 am

Fast/upwind is your setting. All so really crank the bar hard. I don't know about the eclipse but the Rabbits sit deep so you have pull in and hold it there or they shoot forward in the window. This usually slows down the turning speed of the kite.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:48 am

Yep only did this the other day actually but on the smoke. Upwind bridal setting on fast back line pig tails kite attachment but on the middle setting on the actual pigtail, it will do just that. Really really changes the kite, the kite is soooo tuneable. Was my fav setting also more vertical on the jumps.

Gueroo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen/Cancun- Cabarete- Puerto Rico
Style: All kinds!
Gear: WH - Tona - Cabrinha - Mystic - WMFG
Brand Affiliation: Tona Life
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gueroo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:40 am

you can also put the back line on the low wind setting, on the 3rd knot, closest to the kite, so that way you can really get her to pivot, pull the bar in and turn then release, and there she goes!!!!! :naughty:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 am

Yep agree with that, on a downwinder it is awesome as the kite will drift really well to.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Westozzy,

With the settings the way you state does the kite stay where you want it when carving down wave towards the kite?
I have 9 and 7.5 and love me but I have not tried the upwind bridle setting at all. Is it that good?
I'm also wanting more vertical on jumps and it makes sense that this setting you describe should do that. Any thoughts?
Sal

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Upwind setting has the most JUICE if you want power and goes upwind like a striped Apr!! Also as already mentioned Fast setting. Careful on back line settings, I tried the knot closets to the kite and the kite wants to fall back in the window on the upstroke.

stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall

Postby stevet25 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 pm

thank you all - really helpful stuff. i had a quick fly of the bunny on the beach today on upwind settings and there certainly feels like there is more 180 degree quick flick ability. Will the kite drift as well on these settings as on the downwind set-up?If the forecast holds I should be able to try it out on the water tomorrow. Can anyone share their experiences of the single line front set up - is that more of a c-kite arc turn?
cheers

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:33 pm

14ToeSide wrote:Upwind setting has the most JUICE if you want power and goes upwind like a striped Apr!! Also as already mentioned Fast setting. Careful on back line settings, I tried the knot closets to the kite and the kite wants to fall back in the window on the upstroke.
That is because those are from trimming the kite not tuning it. Same as adjusting your trim strap (what most people mistakenly call a depower line).

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm

stevet25 wrote:thank you all - really helpful stuff. i had a quick fly of the bunny on the beach today on upwind settings and there certainly feels like there is more 180 degree quick flick ability. Will the kite drift as well on these settings as on the downwind set-up?If the forecast holds I should be able to try it out on the water tomorrow. Can anyone share their experiences of the single line front set up - is that more of a c-kite arc turn?
cheers

To be honest I'm only a newbie on this kite, been at it for 13 seasons but not long on this beast. But i have flown many may kites from every era. I have come from more high aspect kites, and went the smoke for a more plug and play all rounder and for its wave riding ability. Hence I'm used to a kite breathing and developing its own apparent wind, so the upwind setting suites me, i like Speed in the kite. Also when looping I find you can kill the power more quickly, I'm still not used to its power band!! And to my surprise it does indeed have a better 180 degree turn. As to its drift ability, let us know, theoretically it shouldn't drift as well as on the down wind setting, but it still might drift as well as you need it.

Let us know. And yeh feedback on the direct line attachment would be appreciated.

Return to “Kitesurfing”