Favorite Beaches: Catlonia!
Style: All styles!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

light wind kite size

Postby Tien » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi,
I have a kite size problem related to my weight!
I'm not sure which kite size to get for my 64 kilos for light wind(5 to 8 knt condition),
I'm not sure if its adecuate for me an 18 or a 16 rrd addiction!
Could you kite races give me a bit of help?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: light wind kite size

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 pm

For 5-8 Knots you need the largest kite you can find. I use an Ozone edge 17, and 5 knots is about the limit with a race board. I have no experience with RRD. I would pick 18 over 16.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm

If you REALLY want to get out in 5 knots, I'd say the 18m is the way to go. 5 knots is VERY light though and takes some serious skill (more than I have).

I'm about 75 kg and ride an 18m Dyno with my raceboard. I wasn't sure if I should go 18m or 16m, but I'm glad I went with the 18.

I never say to myself "I wish I had a smaller kite" when I'm out in less than 10 knots of wind!

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:32 pm

I have been flying an older 16m Crossbow lately in sub-10kt winds and pondering the same question. In seeing what the latest models of low wind kites are looking like, I have to believe that the weight of the kite really has a huge effect on performance and even being able to stay in the air in super light conditions. I do not have the luxury of trying these kites out, so for the smart people on the forum, should those of us looking for the best light wind kite be looking for fewer struts and lighter weight designs?

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:I have been flying an older 16m Crossbow lately in sub-10kt winds and pondering the same question. In seeing what the latest models of low wind kites are looking like, I have to believe that the weight of the kite really has a huge effect on performance and even being able to stay in the air in super light conditions. I do not have the luxury of trying these kites out, so for the smart people on the forum, should those of us looking for the best light wind kite be looking for fewer struts and lighter weight designs?
That's where the Flysurfers beat the tube kites...they can have more wing area with less weight. Thus it is easier to keep them airborne in next to no wind at all. Now style of kiting is another thing. You picks and choose as per your preferences... But...in general you're on the right track. It is why most light wind kites are made of lighter weight material and have fewer struts. I think most top manufacturers are also using engineering principles to put together high performance kites. Some clever folks about inventing new toys...

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Looking at the stats on the RRD Addiction, it is a 7 strut kite, so that sounds heavy. Obviously if racers are using it, it must do the trick, and at 5kts, if 16 is good, 18 is better.

My question for Tien's situation is at 64 kg, could Tien get riding in almost the same winds with a 16m and then have a few more kts on the top end if the winds picked up or were gusty? Most people would rather fly a smaller kite (in the same model) for better turning, but that doesn't do you any good if you cant get a good pull out of it. Too bad we all just can't have a full quiver of every kite from 6 to 18m. Then we wouldn't have to think about it. :lol:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 pm

His kite as NO SIZE...on it...but will stay in the air in 5-8 knots...see ALL his videos :wink:

With LW skills...proper board ..TT or directional...27m lines..it "seem" be possible in 7-8 knots min

His kite is not a 21 or a 19 or an 18...and needs an SUP IN 5-6kn..

Printed size is infinitely unimportant..just like measuring wind speed below 8 knots :thumb:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:56 am

Making the kite flat and high aspect ratio makes it more efficient. When the kite is really long and skinny though, you need more struts to support all that length of canopy. Adding the extra struts does add some weight.

The ozone edge has always been 5 strut even though they are high aspect ratio. The new Dyno LTD and Crossbows have gone from 7 struts to 5 struts, I'm guessing to reduce weight. How did they come up with a way to counter act the large unsupported spans of the canopy? Or have they gone to a slightly lower aspect ratio?

Kitestar4U
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Knokke Heist
Style: Racing
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: RRD

Postby Kitestar4U » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:Looking at the stats on the RRD Addiction, it is a 7 strut kite, so that sounds heavy. Obviously if racers are using it, it must do the trick, and at 5kts, if 16 is good, 18 is better.

My question for Tien's situation is at 64 kg, could Tien get riding in almost the same winds with a 16m and then have a few more kts on the top end if the winds picked up or were gusty? Most people would rather fly a smaller kite (in the same model) for better turning, but that doesn't do you any good if you cant get a good pull out of it. Too bad we all just can't have a full quiver of every kite from 6 to 18m. Then we wouldn't have to think about it. :lol:
Comment: Addicton MK2 is a 7 strut kite, the latest MK3 is a 5 strut kite.

Alohabrother
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Niu Valley, O'ahu
Favorite Beaches: O'ahu
Style: Regular
Gear: Blade Kites
Aloha Brothers Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: BladeKitesUSA.com

Postby Alohabrother » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:41 am

hi all...first time post here....I think.

HI Tien,
My experience this past year was using my 17m Fat Lady with 27m lines. I used a very flat surfboard with a fish type outline. Measurements are approximately 5-10 x 20 1/2 wide x 2 3/4 thick. Very low rocker.

I was able to get out and kite when all of the usual riders where I kite had to really work their 14m kites and be on a race board, or something similar.

I found, that if I needed to work my 17m kite,
1. it wasn't much fun and it was lot more work and frustrating
2. I should have been on an even bigger floaty type board. Use Race board if you have one, or an Alaia type board, a really thick wide surfboard will do the trick as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”