Gear: Ozone - 8m Frenzy
Ozone - 4m Access
Flex Deck
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Getting a new used kite..

Postby Hubbs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Hey guys.. you've always been super helpful , so I want to keep this short and sweet..

Replacing my old Waroo, its a 2008 15m and has seen one too many busted LE , sad day.

Now that im looking for a new kite, I'm quickly reminded that I cant afford a new one , as nice as that would be..

So for second hand market , what would you suggest ? Couple quick notes..

I need a new light wind kite, the 15m handled about 90% of my riding , and I loved it ,

I've been looking at Blade Triggers - Two questions about this , one , any horror stories of these things not being durable enough ? Comments from a few of the guys around my beach is that they would be a little worried with a ligher construction, mainly due to where we surf (NS .. rough terrain)

Question 2 - The Bar - Any issues with the bar ? I rememebr hearing about how crappy the QR was and that it would break constantly . But this was over a year ago, and I cant seem to find where I saw that information

Ocean Rodeo - God I love these kites . Are they as bulit proof as they claim ? That is a huge appeal to me.. Not that I'm super hard on my gear, I just don't like the idea of my kite being super 'delicate'

If I liked the Waroo and am looking to progress with bigger jumps, back rolls , transistions and a little wave riding, what kite would you suggest out of OR line up??

Thats it.. Super open to ideas, I like Epic, but not many kites in the second hand market , I see a lot of 8 - 10m kites , but I need something bigger,

185 Lbs - 6"0 foot - Avg. wind 8 - 20 knots , more like 8 - 15

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade

Re: Getting a new USED kite..

Postby Motion » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Triggers are fine. Might not have so much decron or kevlar reinforcements as some other kites but the build quality is good. Material and sewing is strong. You will notice it when you have kite in your hands. Can't say i had my kites in surf, but they have seen a lot of hard crashing in 30knots while being pump up 10psi or more. All fine :)

Bar is nothing special, QR some times needs quite a bit more force to release, but never really heard any one would brake it.

For 8 -15 (20) knots a light wind specific kite would be a better choice.

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Postby wadoepotatoe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Hubbs wrote:Ocean Rodeo - God I love these kites . Are they as bulit proof as they claim ? That is a huge appeal to me.. Not that I'm super hard on my gear, I just don't like the idea of my kite being super 'delicate'

If I liked the Waroo and am looking to progress with bigger jumps, back rolls , transistions and a little wave riding, what kite would you suggest out of OR line up??

Thats it.. Super open to ideas, I like Epic, but not many kites in the second hand market , I see a lot of 8 - 10m kites , but I need something bigger,

I've been riding OR gear for the past 5 years and I've yet to have any issues with my gear; beefy construction, great performance, and absolutely AMAZING customer service! For the riding you are progressing to, I'd recommend the OR razor for sure. The new 2013's are starting to ship so if a used kite is what you are after, there should be some surfacing relatively soon here. Cheers,

-Wade.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:03 pm

wadoepotatoe wrote:
Hubbs wrote:Ocean Rodeo - God I love these kites . Are they as bulit proof as they claim ? That is a huge appeal to me.. Not that I'm super hard on my gear, I just don't like the idea of my kite being super 'delicate'

I've been riding OR gear for the past 5 years and I've yet to have any issues with my gear; beefy construction, great performance, and absolutely AMAZING customer service! For the riding you are progressing to, I'd recommend the OR razor for sure. The new 2013's are starting to ship so if a used kite is what you are after, there should be some surfacing relatively soon here.
I used to have a 2008 Waroo 15m that I rode all the time. I'm 165 lbs. I didn't see an obvious replacement for the waroos from Best

When I sold my Waroos, I moved on to the Best Kahoona V2. Not the same feel as the waroos, heavier on the bar, but the low end was much better. Jumping was a bit better with the Waroo. The 11.5m had almost as much low end as my 15m 2008 Waroo. Now I'm on the v3 Kahoona, and the jumping is much better, but low end is a little less so the 13.5m would replace your 15m Waroo.

I don't think the Razor is what you want for 8-15 knots. I demoed the Razor 9m, and didn't really like it. I've never tried the OR Rise, but I heard it was similar to the waroo. The OR Rise is OR's lightwind kite in the larger sizes.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Maybe consider getting a new kite for the price of a used one...
Try Switchkites Nitro v2.or Element.. have a look at their website.
It does not hurt :wink:
Dude :cool2:

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Re: Getting a new used kite..

Postby jwoodunlv » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Switch nitro 2. The 12m probably has as much power as your 15m Waroo. It pulls like a truck. Turns quick, jumps to the moon. Ok in the waves but it takes a little time to get used to it. It pulls harder than normal when overhead which makes strapless riding challenging.

Speedkillz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m

Postby Speedkillz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 pm

I love my Switch Element 13m. I have ridden the hell out of it from my first lesson in January up until now. 3-4 times a week and lots and lots of crashes. I self launch and land on the grass and spikey weeds at Mokuleia. No leaks, no worn out parts, no hassle. I use the Switch bar and lines completely stock. Haven't had to replace anything there either. I am not a team rider (Felix lives right down the street) and I would consider myself a recent progression into intermediate riding (jumps, waves, rolls etc). See if someone will let you demo a kite in your area. You can get a brand new and current kite for less than some closeout specials online.

I am about 6'3" and 245-250lbs riding a 144 Cabrinha Spectrum TT. I am up and powered as long as the lulls don't drop below 11-12 knots. I haven't found the top end of the kite yet, but things have been pretty mellow here on Oahu.

Aloha

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 pm

I have had no durability issues with the 2012 Triggers and Fat Lady. I have a few friends that have been riding the triggers since 2010 and I have not heard any complaints about the durability of the kites either.
Not a big fan of the bar. However, the new 2013 looks very promising.

Vikb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nihtnat, Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Vikb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 am

My main kites are 2010 OR Rises which I am going to retire just because I'm ready for a change. I get in 80days of kiting a year and they are in great shape.

I've used a 12m Trigger for the summer season and it was well made. I'd rate the OR and Blade kites equal on construction details.

I prefer my OR bars to the Blade bar I used, but that's mostly down to liking below the bar depower better than above the bar depower.

The Trigger had higher bar pressure than the OR kites I've flown [Rise & Razor].

If you handed me a quiver of OR kites or Blade kites and sent me to Baja for a month I really would be happy with either. Both are quality products.
Last edited by Vikb on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingdutchman1978
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Catharines
Gear: 2010 9M Waroo
2010 13.5M Kahoona V2

Postby flyingdutchman1978 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:01 pm

@Hubbs

You can probably afford a new kite if you purchase online direct via Switchkites. As others have mentioned, it will might be cheaper than current close-out prices!

Check out the website and see if you can demo one closeby.

For light wind, the 14m or 16m Nitro V2 is great to get you going in light winds.

Whatever brand you choose, enjoy your kite!

Return to “Kitesurfing”