Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Companies You listen!

Forum for kitesurfers
frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite Companies You listen!

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:41 am

Jbrook wrote:Okay today as I rolled up my kite in windy conditions I watched a guy riding North
why u rollin yer kite up in windy conditions ? :) don't tell me u live in place where wind blows 24/7 cause that'll really depress me
next to me up roll his kite alot fast than me. It has a release valve on the end I was halfway done he hoped in his buggy and drove off. In windy conditions rolling up on the beach can be a ....
Try this.... when yer session is over, kite secured on ground, first thing go over and pull the deflate plug... then pack up everything else... bar, wetsuits, boards etc... by that time a lot of air will be out of the kite and easier to pack up... or just get yer self some de-riggin fairies :)
I want more kite companies to put all the killer features like this that others are doing on the kites I like, and oh yeah no more raisng prices hehe. :thumb:

I would not want a kite with more than one deflate valve... for obvious reasons... especially on the wing tip... glad you mentioned that NOrth have them there... be staying away from those kites

What are your recommendations for them to hear?
I prefer simple way better... i'll take the hit on pack up tear down... simple bar is nice... one you can fix easy

I also like bars that have plastic covering the depower line no exposed rope that needs changing after 20 or 30 sessions. :argue:
I don't like that plastic stuff at all... can't see the rope conditions for one
You make some good complaints but I hope no ones listening to ya :)

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:39 am

jakemoore wrote:K.I.S.S..

The kite will fly better if it is lighter and break less if there are fewer parts.

A tip: Its very east to tie 2 half hitches around the end of the bar with all four or five lines. Also multi pump vs one pump requires the same number of strokes on the pump.

I miss the carbon bars.

Bicyclists pay hundreds of dollars to save a few grams. Think about weight!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

highairman
Medium Poster

Postby highairman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:49 am

Just buy a North next time.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am

In terms of lightness. I can both agree and disagree. My kiting life has changed since getting the park and the ride. The weight does matter, but maybe for a different reason than your example. The two strut design really makes the kite easier to ride and pack. It is lighter and it does make for a different type kite.
However in kiting we do try to solve a slightly different problem than bikers do. For them all the weight they save is something they do not have to propel. For kiters we use the wind to propel us. ie, not based on our muscles. For kites, I am sure this will happen...especially now that kiting is an Olympic sport (as long as they do not make a 1 design competition). We'll see ultra light gear. Great that does not have any bumpers that really is not made for anything but last more than a few races. For light wind kiting it will certainly be absolutely nuts.

Very exciting times.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:12 am

Yeh I concur the north kites I owned were harder to pack up overall but I think that was due to the importance of the rolling it up properly so when you fold it you don't break the battens. Another thing with the wind tip deflation you have to completely unroll your kite and close the valve before pumping. On the normal one valve in the centre put pump in and pump! My Airush kites have both! But I just keep the wingtip one closed mostly except for the 14 lithuim which I do open as it helps to get more air out. The good thing about the centre only deflation valve is the kite rolls up more square on each side so its easier to follow the leading edge. On the north as you roll along the leading edge the kite canopy changes shape and you have to be careful when following the leading leading edge to not get a weird looking finished product that is too long when you do the once over fold. Not as big a problem on the Vegas as that is more square shaped through the canopy anyhow. But the rebel was different. I always pack my stuff up quicker than my bro and he's now on my 2012 rebel.

No I'd say the north design is not as great as people make out.

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:21 am

bonus: if you start with a clean kite, there will be no sand on the inside of the canopy, and only on one half of the outside. In lots of wind, you can put you knee on the LE side by the time you are ready to roll cross.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 am

I have the north evo 2012 and I hate the deflate valve on the end. The kite is such a mess and huge after rolling it up. Sucks fkn ass. Also, to inflate, you have to open the whole thing up. The design is pointless imo. Safes time, but what the hell is the rush and what are you running away from all the time? If the kite did not have battens, I would not care too much, but it can't be folded up nice and small with them. I roll them to the middle and its all nice and neat. And I got time to roll it up. Nobody chasing me.
The kite still is the best I ever had. Love the EVO.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Haha, reading this just reminded me of the first time I inflated a North, not knowing about the dump value. After about 50-60 pump strokes I realized the thing was not inflating :o

Of the few times I did try the North with this dump value I did not really find it a particularly useful feature I'd like to see on all kites. The North inflation valve should be increased in size because it feels like such a struggle pumping air into that tiny opening.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:02 am

I fully agree with you Jbrook, the deflation valve at the end makes it sooooooo easy to pack the kite, you do it all at once without having to change sides, it is a no brainer to realise it is easier.

All you have to remember is to grab the hard end of the two battens together before folding the kite in two, so that the kite folds easily.

The argument of easier inflation can also be argued, with this way of rolling you just have to hold this end of the kite and let the wind fuly unroll your kite (looking downwind). Being at the right corner, it is super easy to close the valve before inflating.

The argument about the extra features and extra weight is wrong, this is not an extra valve, this is the - single - deflation valve placed at the end and not the center.

I can understand that some people may not like it but it is a matter of personal taste and preference. Don't worry about the haters and the anger, c' est la vie on kiteforum 8)

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:45 pm

How can people get to the stage where they can kite but they can't work out how to fold a fcuking kite? The guy who was complaining that the dump valve at the end was a pain because he had to unfold the whole kite? Just hold onto the end of the kite and let the wind unfold it. Some people can't pack down the Vegas from North. Here's a tip, if you cant work out how to fold it you're probably better off on a bow kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”